Author Topic: DM 7 with three-zone snare pad at the door?  (Read 14858 times)

Offline Guinness

Re: DM 7 with three-zone snare pad at the door?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
I'm about to order one...we will see

Another kit for your students?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »
For me this clamps aren't as flexible as the clamps of the DM10.
No they are not, but it isn't meant as a replacement for the DM10 either. It is meant as a step up from the DM6. The DM7 looks to be more of a replacement for the DM5. I hope this means Alesis will retire the DM5.

Phil, i don't want to be annoying but if i can't change the distance between the pad and the frame (which can be also a simple method to reduce crosstalk) then it is not flexible enough for me. I have spent days after days with my old a-drumkits to get them convenient to my leg/arm dimensions and my ideal conception of a kit is that it will follow *my* needs, not the other way round.

But your way to see the DM7 in the product line is interesting. Hopefully Alesis will explain to us what kind of development and product placement they are planning, i.e. if there'll be a DM8/DM9/DM20 ;D in the near future.

Orangeblood

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
LOL....actually for my daughters

I'm about to order one...we will see

Another kit for your students?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »
Phil, i don't want to be annoying but if i can't change the distance between the pad and the frame (which can be also a simple method to reduce crosstalk) then it is not flexible enough for me. I have spent days after days with my old a-drumkits to get them convenient to my leg/arm dimensions and my ideal conception of a kit is that it will follow *my* needs, not the other way round.
That's fine. I don't have an issue with anyones needs. BTW, I don't find your point annoying. It is obviously important to you, but remember we are talking about a $600.00 (one step up from the DM6) kit. Not a DM10 $1000.00 kit. My point being that one can't expect all options at a higher price point to be included at a lower price point. If that was the case, why upgrade?

But your way to see the DM7 in the product line is interesting. Hopefully Alesis will explain to us what kind of development and product placement they are planning, i.e. if there'll be a DM8/DM9/DM20 ;D in the near future.
I know the DM5 has been around since 1996. Even though the DM6 is newer (and has updated sounds) than the DM5, it doesn't have the control of the DM5. The new DM7 looks to be more of a replacement for the DM5 from what I read (meaning spec wise). Plus it doesn't make sense to replace the DM6 since they just released (last month) the new DM6 USB Express kit. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:43:48 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
I've been thinking about the hi-hat control pedal in the pic of the DM7 kit. It seems very odd to me that it is not Alesis branded...Alesis has their own switch based and variable based controller, so why not have one of those in the picture? Unless the DM7 uses a dual switch type controller which Alesis doesn't have a branded one of those yet. I know the Simmons SD9K and the higher end Medeli's use a two switch (or step switch) type variable hi-hat controller. That might explain the non-branded controller.

I don't know, I could be way off. It's odd that they don't have their own branded controller in the shot however. It makes one wonder.

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »
That's a great looking kit! At $600, it seems designed to be a Simmons/DTXPlorer-killer. Will be especially interested to find out how the pads feel.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline vaikl

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
I don't know, I could be way off. It's odd that they don't have their own branded controller in the shot however. It makes one wonder.

See what i mean? There's no real consistency in their announcements for a product line which could make them staying on top of e-drummers delight. It's like a japanese gaming company which shoot out products like a machine gun and leave the customers alone with their need for a solid base and individual upgrade paths.

And, to be honest, that price wouldn't attract the majority of non-drummers out there in the world - even in the asian world only - to buy a new toy for christmas.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:57:03 PM by vaikl »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
Another thing that really confuses in Alesis' marketing: The kick pedal in the DM7 picture is branded with Alesis but where can i buy it?

I've found this: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/386688.html and the pedal detail picture is the same - but: Fullcompass states that a pedal is *not* included in this *pad* offer even though they titled it with "Alesis DMPAD-KICK-PEDAL Kick Pedal". What the f.ck?????

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
For me this clamps aren't as flexible as the clamps of the DM10.
No they are not, but it isn't meant as a replacement for the DM10 either. It is meant as a step up from the DM6. The DM7 looks to be more of a replacement for the DM5. I hope this means Alesis will retire the DM5.

I could definitely believe that. The Alesis DM5 (both module and kit) has been around for such a long time.

Interesting looking kit, though. I wonder what the sounds are like on the module.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »
The snare kind of looks like the pads on the Yamaha DX3.

Orangeblood

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »
The snare kind of looks like the pads on the Yamaha DX3.

Yep....we are all curious to the new rubber feel.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
Oh so it's rubber? I thought the snare had a mesh head on the DM7.

Orangeblood

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
There will never be a mesh head on any of the major brands as long as Roland owns the patent....at least without paying huge royalties.

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 04:49:25 AM »
Hi, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question (or one that has already been asked) but I've had a DM-10 Studio for a couple of weeks. I think it is a fantastic kit but a tripple zone snare would certainly be a BIG improvement for me. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use the tripple zone pad (assuming you could buy it separately) on a DM10 ? Is the rim split into two triggers  or does it need  specifically need the DM7 module to work ?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
Hi, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question (or one that has already been asked) but I've had a DM-10 Studio for a couple of weeks. I think it is a fantastic kit but a tripple zone snare would certainly be a BIG improvement for me. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use the tripple zone pad (assuming you could buy it separately) on a DM10 ? Is the rim split into two triggers  or does it need  specifically need the DM7 module to work ?
It's not a stupid question. From what I have been told, the DM7 three zone pad uses only one TRS (tip,ring,sleeve) cable. If that is the case, then no it will not work with the DM10. Unless the new DM10 OS 2.0 has a new three zone pad compatibility added to it. Even if it does, I still want to see proof that all three zones are velocity sensitive before I will make the switch.

Orangeblood

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »

Welcome to the world of not with Alesis.....

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
OK, i will ask a question that I am sure everybody here want to ask : why Orangeblood, do you spend so much time on a Forum where all we talk is about ALESIS ? You will complain everyday because we are Alesis users & supporters. Even if nothing is perfect with our gear, we love it. Don't get me wrong, criticism is a good point in a discussion but, come on, at the end of this year, each post will be trolled by your yamaha godness ...

Spend more time on DTX forums and give us a break ...

OK, you can scream at me now ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:33:13 AM by ungoliant »

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
always seeking for dm7 vids, here is another one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAJFw3VRXdc