Author Topic: What trigger velocity curve and threshold settings are you guys using?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline Rev2010

I'm currently set all to Linear and using an overall threshold value of 25 and everything is great playing the module. External triggering of VST's like DFH Superior and EZdrummer I am finding however that Logarithmic 2 works best. It's just too bad you can't save separate sets of trigger settings :-\  Not tooo big of a deal though cause when we plan to record midi to the VST's I can just change the settings for all the triggers in like 2 minutes.

So I'm curious to know what you guys are set to.

Rev.

Offline Guinness

My thresholds vary from 2 to 4.  My curve is all over the place depending on the trigger.

Quote from: Rev
It's just too bad you can't save separate sets of trigger settings :-\

What do you mean, you can't save separate sets of of trigger settings?    Like per kit?  (but then you use VST's, so that doesn't make sense).  Esplain please. 

Offline Rev2010

What do you mean, you can't save separate sets of of trigger settings?    Like per kit?  (but then you use VST's, so that doesn't make sense).  Esplain please.

Yeah the trigger settings are for the whole module, you can't save different sets of trigger settings. The reason it would be useful is because the modules response somehow varies from the response of certain VST's over midi. So, it would be cool to save a few different trigger settings - ie. one set for use with the modules sounds, one set for triggering DFH Superior, one set for EZ Drummer, etc.

It's weird too because with EZ Drummer all my hits are too weak so for EZ Drummer setting the trigger curve to logarithmic 2 for everything resolves it. Oddly though for DFH Superior all the pads are fine with a linear trigger curve but the cymbals need the logarithmic 2 setting.

Not sure why that is, but that's my observation. Just set up a kit in DFH and EZ Drummer last night for my drummer to record with. We're going to be using the modules sounds for writing and rehearsing, but for the actual recording we're going to be using DFH Superior & BFD (BFD for most of the cymbals). Turns out EZ Drummer doesn't support the variable hi hat control like DFH does.

Rev.

Re: What trigger velocity curve and threshold settings are you guys using?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
"...you can't save different sets of trigger settings.

I may be misunderstanding but.. you can create different sets of trigger settings and save as a "kit" on the trigger i/o.

Offline raptor

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
You are right according to what I read in the DM10 Manual. You cannot save more than one global trigger setting. I don't like this simply because if I have another drummer use my kit at church, they may play differently than I do.

VST's may or may not be ok with one setting but most vst's allow you optimize these type of settings within their own program.

I will get my new DM10 module on Monday or Tuesday. Now I'm not sure I really want it. There are some other concerns I have read about on this site that may have me just returning it for a refund.  :-\

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
You are right according to what I read in the DM10 Manual. You cannot save more than one global trigger setting. I don't like this simply because if I have another drummer use my kit at church, they may play differently than I do.

VST's may or may not be ok with one setting but most vst's allow you optimize these type of settings within their own program.

I will get my new DM10 module on Monday or Tuesday. Now I'm not sure I really want it. There are some other concerns I have read about on this site that may have me just returning it for a refund.  :-\
Wait a minute, if you are using it with a vst, can't you save multiple vst user settings in the vst? And since you have the computer right there, why not save (back-up) you trigger settings to the computer? It only take 10-20 seconds to backup and/or reload a .syx file of your trigger settings. Just a thought.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
Maybe we get closer to a solution if we distinguish between *trigger* settings (belonging to the module) and *sound* settings (belonging to a ROMpler/a VSTi).

A VSTi doesn't have any influence on the triggers, it works with the MIDI notes/velocities coming over the MIDI/USB connection.

If my trigger setup is working fine with a specific soundset in a specific VSTi/drum software and doesn't work with another soundset, the temptation is big to use the buttons on the module - because you're sitting near it.

But that leads to the discussed point with permanent changing ext. trigger setups.
I'm kicking my own ass now and tweak the VSTi's on my Mac to get the right sounds by playing with volume/gain, velocity range, the MIDI keymap, different instruments (i.e. played with sticks or mallets or doubled), mic positions, ambients etc. Then i save a preset - done!

Maybe that's why i'm a BFD2 fan ;D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »
Maybe we get closer to a solution if we distinguish between *trigger* settings (belonging to the module) and *sound* settings (belonging to a ROMpler/a VSTi).

A VSTi doesn't have any influence on the triggers, it works with the MIDI notes/velocities coming over the MIDI/USB connection.

If my trigger setup is working fine with a specific soundset in a specific VSTi/drum software and doesn't work with another soundset, the temptation is big to use the buttons on the module - because you're sitting near it.

But that leads to the discussed point with permanent changing ext. trigger setups.
I'm kicking my own ass now and tweak the VSTi's on my Mac to get the right sounds by playing with volume/gain, velocity range, the MIDI keymap, different instruments (i.e. played with sticks or mallets or doubled), mic positions, ambients etc. Then i save a preset - done!

Maybe that's why i'm a BFD2 fan ;D
I understand the differences between the two. I was simply suggesting two possible ways to deal with the same issue. In your own example you show how one can adjust the VSTi on their mac/pc (depending on the VSTi being used).

If there is not enough control via the VSTi for the things you stated (i.e. volume/gain, velocity range, the MIDI keymap) one can just as easily backup their trigger settings from the DM10 to the computer.

Basically, there are ways to deal with the issue and individual drummers can still have the system the way they want it.

Offline raptor

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
Aside from the vst side, it would have been nice to have the ability to save different triggering dynamics in the module. The dtx3 I use at church has this function. It works well when different drummers use the kit since each drummer has a different style (with dynamics etc.) of playing. As I see it, I would need to bring a laptop just to load in a different setting.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:55:38 PM by raptor »

Offline Coaster

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »
Hi.

Im really curious about the answers to this Subject, so it would be really nice to get this topic back on track, plz!!

My curves are also different, and depends on the triggers and my playing style. Thresholds, has been adjusted somewhat, but nothing much from the default settings.
I guess I'm a light hitter, so the sensitivity on all triggers has been adjusted for plenty more sensitivity and again depends on the trigger.
Sorry for any noobish questions I might have. At least they hopefully will be easy to answer.