Author Topic: DM 7 with three-zone snare pad at the door?  (Read 14852 times)

Offline vaikl

DM 7 with three-zone snare pad at the door?
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
Don't know if it's a hoax but the german online magazine plugindex reports a new DM 7 will be announced at the Pasic fair on Nov 10 in Indianapolis.

Short feature list for non-german speakers:

• 5 pads, 3 Cymbals, module from the DM 6?? (i assume)
  • 400 sounds in 80 kits
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!great snare pad with three zones, head/rim/sidestick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(don't know what "great" stands for)
  • one crash cym chokeable
  • announced price at 660 Euro (about 920$ now)
  • comes with Toontracks EZdrummer Lite

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:06:51 PM by vaikl »

Offline audiopat

Re: DM 7 with three-zone snare pad at the door?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:45 AM »
Here it is, in english...
http://www.gear4music.com/news/article/Alesis-introduces-the-DM7-USB-Electronic-Drum-Kit/2SN/2010-11-04

Strange that there is no mention on the Alesis site...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:15:55 AM by audiopat »

Offline Tsints

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »
Ok, then it's a 12" triple-zone rubber snare they bundle with the DM7. Hm..

What i don't get: Why does Alesis use a different new module hardware layout for each new kit they have advertised this year???? Are the costs of service so low for them?

Offline audiopat

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
good grief the module looks odd...

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
I saw it at Front End Audio for $599.00  Yes the three zone snare would be nice.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »
Wow! I totally missed this one. :-[

I would love to see some specs on the DM7. I wonder if it uses the SR-18 tech? I like how Alesis has switched to a more up-to-date rack style (4 leg style). It looks as if they are using their own design of rubber pad as well. Interesting...

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »
I looked on both the US and German Alesis site.  DM7 not there.

HF, is that a medeli module?

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Well now isn't THAT nifty looking... About time we get a 12" snare, triple-zoned or not.

Doesn't look like any of the Mideli modules I've seen to date.
Bobby D.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
Well now isn't THAT nifty looking... About time we get a 12" snare, triple-zoned or not.

Doesn't look like any of the Mideli modules I've seen to date.
At first glance I agree Bobby. I'm really behind the ball on this one. I just found out about it today. It does look as if the kit tower frame might be Medeli but that doesn't really mean anything. The DM10 has parts made from Medeli but not the module.

The only other modules that I know that show icons (like bass, snare, cymbals) is the
XM series modules, but this doesn't look like XM either. This might be an Alesis design just like the Trigger I/O and DM10. At minimum it looks to be made to Alesis specs. There really are no details yet. I did notice the quote from Dan Radin on the gear4music.com site. More tech specs are needed.

I like the 12" snare. I'm guessing the extra two zones are switches. I wonder if the white rubber used on that snare is the same rubber on the Pearl ePro's. If it is, it will feel pretty good. Since they don't state, I'm assuming that the hi-hat is still signal zone and the hi-hat controller is switch based (not variable). Just a guess however. I could be way off on that one. You know, the look of this new Alesis kit kind of reminds me of the new Yamaha DTX. Meaning the lug-less white rubber snare pad with three zones (just like Yamaha).

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:54:01 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »
ProAudioToys.com already claims to have them in stock and on there craigslist listing they claim to have sooo many that they are taking $75 off the $599.00 mat price. Only cost $525

FYI, most online retailers are selling (pre order) for $599.00, so I'm assume the mat price is that.

added:

It seems many places already have it in stock and ready to ship. Interesting...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:01:29 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Here is a nice BIG picture. Notice the new clamps and new cymbal design. You may need to expand the image to see it in full size.

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/80606_l.jpg

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
I noticed the different clamps in the first pic, but couldn't see it up close.  That picture is much better.  i'm guess the L bracket has a big 2" rubber ball or collar on it....  Good for dampening crosstalk maybe?

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
Purely based on aesthetics, I like the way that looks. I agree w/HF -- nice rack design. I'm curious as to how the rubber pads feel; I usually make a point of avoiding music stores (all stores, actually) during the Xmas season, but I may have to make an exception if these end up in stores within the next few months.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
And if you look at the top picture carefully, you'll notice something else!

It's wireless!!!     :D    :D

Offline vaikl

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
I noticed the different clamps in the first pic, but couldn't see it up close.  That picture is much better.  i'm guess the L bracket has a big 2" rubber ball or collar on it....  Good for dampening crosstalk maybe?

Maybe. But doesn't that mean also that the pad isn't adjustable in distance from the frame?? The snare clamp seems to be the usual one, or better: the one i have on my DM10.

This new clamps are mysterious.... 8)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »

Maybe. But doesn't that mean also that the pad isn't adjustable in distance from the frame?? The snare clamp seems to be the usual one, or better: the one i have on my DM10.

This new clamps are mysterious.... 8)
I did find a pic of similar clamps from Traps drums:

Chances are they are rubber/plastic stoppers like these. I understand why Alesis would move to a design like this. It allows them to use the same clamps for the rack as they use for the pads. Helps keep costs down. Doesn't look bad either.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
And if you look at the top picture carefully, you'll notice something else!

It's wireless!!!     :D    :D

LOL Funny.

An yeah, HF, those clamps look pretty neat.  Kinda like the big fat 7/8" L-rods that Pintech sells that give you a little more flex with clamps (and I imagine cross-talk)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:15:12 PM by Bobby@NEMS »
Bobby D.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
I understand why Alesis would move to a design like this. It allows them to use the same clamps for the rack as they use for the pads. Helps keep costs down. Doesn't look bad either.

What's the difference between this cost-reducing design and a new module design for every new kit? ;D

For me this clamps aren't as flexible as the clamps of the DM10.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:05:42 PM by vaikl »

Orangeblood

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
I agree with HF. Changing clamp design would be a huge cost.
All that one would need to help with crosstalk is a piece of rubber that wraps partially around the bar under the clamp. Kinda like how a bicycle light mounts to a kids handlebar.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
For me this clamps aren't as flexible as the clamps of the DM10.
No they are not, but it isn't meant as a replacement for the DM10 either. It is meant as a step up from the DM6. The DM7 looks to be more of a replacement for the DM5. I hope this means Alesis will retire the DM5.

Orangeblood

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
Phil......"looks like a yamaha dtx kit" come on now that's stretching it a bit.  ;)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
Phil......"looks like a yamaha dtx kit" come on now that's stretching it a bit.  ;)
Your reading in to that statement too much. I mean that in the sense of the style of the snare pad (3 zone, white head, no lugs, slim line design).

I'm not saying they are taking on Yamaha.

Orangeblood

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
I know what you meant...hence the  ;)

I'm about to order one...we will see

Online Hellfire

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
I know what you meant...hence the  ;)

I'm about to order one...we will see
Sorry  :(. I guess I can get carried away sometimes.