Author Topic: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad  (Read 110513 times)

Online Hellfire

Re: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
hi everyone,
I have a question for you:
how many extra pad I can add to a dm8 module via midi with an alesis trigger i/0?
thanks!
The DM8 has the same extra midi notes as the DM10. Your number of extra pads is based on how many inputs the Trigger I/O has. The general answer to that is 10 dual zone pads. There is one caveat to that. Input #4 (Ride) of the Trigger is hardwired for a piezo/switch type of pad only. So if you are only using piezo type pads, you can only have 9 dual zone pads and one single zone pad.

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
Hey there, I've had my DM10 kit for about 1 1/2 years. I've been using it with no issues at all and figured out how to set up a custom kit in the brain. I even put mesh heads on it. It sounds and plays great.

I just got the Trigger I/O and another bass drum bad the other day. I cannot get the second bass drum working. I've pored through this thread looking for answers. The midi cable is plugged in correctly. The new bass pad triggers when plugged into the DM10 brain. I have midi note 37 set to the bass drum sound that I want. Both the IO and the DM10 are set to midi channel 10. I have the IO set to trigger note 37. Nothing is happening. Any advice?

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
Okay, for some reason, I just went and turned the IO off, then turned it right back on. I made some adjustments, and now it's kinda working in that it will trigger sometimes. I'm gonna just have to figure out the right threshold and gain settings and I'll think I'll be alright.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
You could also try using a Y splitter and plug both bass pads into the kick input on the Dm10.. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
You could also try using a Y splitter and plug both bass pads into the kick input on the Dm10.. :)

That's what I would suggest as well since the Kick Input on the DM10 is dual zone. As cool as the Trigger I/O is, I think it is overkill to use it just for a second kick trigger.

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »

That's what I would suggest as well since the Kick Input on the DM10 is dual zone. As cool as the Trigger I/O is, I think it is overkill to use it just for a second kick trigger.

I use the Y splitter for the two DM bass pads and it works great.  Both bass inputs into the DM10.  I use the Trigger I/O bass input for an FX cymbal (china).  I am currently running one DM10 module (although I have two of them), a Trigger I/O, 4-8" pads, 4-10" pads, and 3-12" pads---two for floor toms and one as snare, then I am running 4 crashes, 2 rides, 2 high hats and a china along with the two bass pads.  All pads are mesh converted using Hellfire method with Pearl muffleheads on a custom designed rack out of many, many Gibraltar rack tubes that I have accumulated over the years.  I have also made a custom snake with a spool of mic wiring and TRS jacks (Amazon) to make all of this work.   

Anyways, you can't go wrong with the Y splitter.  It's by far the easiest way to make the two bass pads work.   Cheers!

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Hey, thanks guys. I'll look into that Y-splitter. Funny, I checked back here because I can't figure out how to get the second bass drum to play at the same volume level as the rest of the kit. It's triggering, but it's not very audible. Until I get that splitter, do you guys have any advice on fixing that problem?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 12:51:04 AM »
Check both the trigger settings - sensitivity and curve - and the instrument settings.
Try swapping the two bass pads to see if it is the pads, the module or what.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

Great info in this thread...I learned a lot.  Thanks to everyone who contributed. 

Here's a somewhat unusual question.   I have an extra DM10 that unfortunately didn't survive a lightening storm we had.   It powers up,  but doesn't respond to any of the triggers.  I've tried everything to revive it including sending it in to be repaired. (quote was more expensive than buying used DM10).   So here's my question.... assuming that the DM10 is partially ally functional, how should I configure it to act as a trigger expansion module - to send trigger info to my newer DM10.   Depending on the damage to the DM10, I might be able to use it as a trigger expansion module.

Thanks!

Chris

Offline Trondster

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2014, 12:24:59 AM »
See if the trigger lights in the display light up when you hit them.
To trigger a Dm10 from another you just need a MIDI cable.

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »
Unfortunately, they don't light up...

I am able to play the sequences,  so this may work as a sound module for MIDI in,  but I'm beginning to think it won't work as trigger expansion.

I'll connect the midi cables between them to double check.

Chris.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:30 AM »
Did the power supply die? If so - are you using a correct AC/AC 9V power supply? A regular 9V AC/DC power supply won't work.

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
Yep - checking the power supply was the first thing I checked. 

When I sent it in to be repaired, they checked it out and said some of the circuitry was damaged.  Then they explained that the parts were no longer available to repair it.

So my approach is to figure out what still works on this module.  I was hoping that I could use it as a expansion trigger module (like a trigger i/o) to connect it to my newer DM10.  I suspect that it's the trigger circuitry that's damaged. 

Since it still produces sound, perhaps this could be a sound module that could be used with a trigger i/o.  In this case, I'll sell it as such (for folks who bought the USB kits), and then go shopping for a trigger i/o or similar trigger expansion module.

That brings up another question...would the trigger I/O be the best option to expand the tigger inputs on my DM10, or is there a better product?  I just picked up a used "DM10 expansion kit" (Four 8" pads, Surge cymbal/HH/Ride, and 8" kick pad), so I need to get a trigger expansion module for my DM10.  Are there alternatives I should consider than the Alesis Trigger I/O (which is getting difficult to find).

Thanks a bunch!

Chris.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
If you don't use the rim triggers you can consider splitting the dual zone inputs. 

Offline gto3113

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
hi everyone,
I have a question for you:
how many extra pad I can add to a dm8 module via midi with an alesis trigger i/0?
thanks!
The DM8 has the same extra midi notes as the DM10. Your number of extra pads is based on how many inputs the Trigger I/O has. The general answer to that is 10 dual zone pads. There is one caveat to that. Input #4 (Ride) of the Trigger is hardwired for a piezo/switch type of pad only. So if you are only using piezo type pads, you can only have 9 dual zone pads and one single zone pad.
Thanks Hellfire, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm new to drumming and have a DM8 Pro and want to expand the kit without having to buy the DM10 module. Allot of reading on the post, but it told me everything I needed to move forward.
Thanks again.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »
Thanks Hellfire, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm new to drumming and have a DM8 Pro and want to expand the kit without having to buy the DM10 module. Allot of reading on the post, but it told me everything I needed to move forward.
Thanks again.

If you have trouble finding an Alesis Trigger I/O, you can use a Ddrum DDTi (which is the exact same device. It's just colored red)

Offline gto3113

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Thanks again.

If you have trouble finding an Alesis Trigger I/O, you can use a Ddrum DDTi (which is the exact same device. It's just colored red)

Thanks, good to know. I was wondering if anyone else made something that did the same.
Now would this be an updated version of the Alesis, or it does and works the exact same.
Apparently this isn't even out until August.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:21:32 PM by gto3113 »

Offline Khes74

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Thanks again.

Thanks, good to know. I was wondering if anyone else made something that did the same.
Now would this be an updated version of the Alesis, or it does and works the exact same.
Apparently this isn't even out until August.

It's just re-branded however I would read some reviews of it before purchasing it...

Offline gto3113

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
You can't find out any info on it at all.
It's up for sale at a few places, says it will be available August 8th. That's it.
No manual, not even a shot of the back of it.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »
As I stated earlier, the Ddrum DDTi is EXACTLY the same as the Alesis Trigger I/O. Functions 100% the same so the manual for the Alesis Trigger I/O should work. The only difference is the color.

Offline gto3113

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Cool, thanks.
This is a U.S sold item, not sure I can get it in Canada without paying duty and taxes.
Good to know and watch for.

Follow up: I ordered the ddrum ddti from Musicians Friend today, delivering to my buddy in Michighan, I'm seeing him in 3 weeks and will bring it back to Canada with me.
I was able to get it for $127 shipped free. A little sneaky, they have a promo for 15% off gift certificates right now, so I bought one and then bought it with that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:43:24 PM by gto3113 »

mtcapri

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »
hello there,
i've got everything plugged into dm 10 module and io trigger, however, when i configure in superior drummer, the sounds to play on the "triggers" such as extra crash and extra tom pads, i get other notes playing at the same time.
another example is that, when i configure the crash midi note, and hit "learn", i "record" the sound on to that midi note, however, if i go to configure the extra tom (for ex), the midi note from the crash, stops recognising and saves on to that tom, eliminating the crash from the note..

would you believe that its related to the midi notes not configured properly, and i have to follow what i've already read here, in order to configure accordingly?
thanks

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »
Hello
I own a DM10 and a PerformancePad.
Is it possible to connect them via a midi cable and assing to the pads of PerformancePad sounds from the DM10 module?
I mean any sound to any pad?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
Hello
I own a DM10 and a PerformancePad.
Is it possible to connect them via a midi cable and assing to the pads of PerformancePad sounds from the DM10 module?
I mean any sound to any pad?

Welcome to the forum Giannis. The answer to your question should be somewhere in the PerformancePad's manual. For this to work, you need to be able to do the following with your PerformancePad: Be able to change and save the midi note number to any given pad on your PerformancePad. If you can do this, then yes you should be able to connect the PerformancePad via it's midi out to the midi in of the DM10 module. Keep in mind you will still need to set the extra sounds you want to use in the DM10 module itself.

Again, welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:16:15 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
Thank you!
I will try to and let you know!