Author Topic: Need A New Ride Cymbal  (Read 2388 times)

Need A New Ride Cymbal
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:54 AM »
Hello, its been a while since I've been to the forum, but I need some guidance. What is the best (I don't care the manufacturer) of either dual or triple zone rides that will work with either the  trigger I/O or old DM10 module. I have the one that came with my old DM10X kit, and after working with it and tweaking it after five years I am just done with it. I've tried adjusting settings til I'm blue in the face and got it to be mostly reliable, but I'm convinced it is just not worth anymore effort. I don't really need to engage the rim as I am mostly needing it for the bow and bell.

Anyone have any suggestions on an upgrade?
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

Offline Iggford

Re: Need A New Ride Cymbal
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
I don't have any experience with rides besides the DM10's and the Strike's rides.  The Strike's ride works really well with the DM10 module, though.  The edge trigger can be a little frustrating at times, but I keep mine turned around backwards.  I don't use anything but the bow and bell, either.

What I like about it is that the bell is quite large.  It's definitely larger and easier to trigger than the DM10's bell. 

I know there are tons out there, but if you were to run across one second-hand, it would definitely be an upgrade for you.  It may even be worth it new, but I'm not sure how the pricing works.

--
Shawn

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
Following!!! Iggford strikes rides really works well with the Dm10 Modules??? Im also frustrated with the stock ride of dm10 studio kit..
Thanks for any reply.. Im planning to upgrade my ride..

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll be on the lookout.
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
I have a Crimson module so this doesn't pertain to me but I was curious ...

The Strike ride works with the DM10 module? The Strike ride has two cables, right?
Does the DM10 have two inputs for the ride?
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »

The Strike ride works with the DM10 module? The Strike ride has two cables, right?

Yes, the DM10 module has two inputs for the ride.

Are you looking for the ride replacement for your Crimson?

Word of caution, I'm going to go into the weeds a little with three zone rides.

Most edrummers don't know this, but a standard two zone Alesis Strike crash will work as a three zone (single cable) ride cymbal on Simmons and other Medeli modules. Yes I said that correctly, a two zone crash as a three zone ride on Simmons and Medeli drum modules. I'm putting this out there because the Crimson module is based on a Medeli module. I'm guessing you have a single cable three zone ride on your Crimson? I don't know for sure, but I would guess you could use a Strike crash cymbal as a fully functioning three zone ride with just one cable on your Crimson. Unfortunately, I don't have a Crimson module to try it. I do have a Simmons SD2000 (not medeli) module and SD1000 (which is based on a medeli module) and both can use a Strike crash cymbal as a fully functional single cable three zone ride.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »

Yes, the DM10 module has two inputs for the ride.

Word of caution, I'm going to go into the weeds a little with three zone rides.

Most edrummers don't know this, but a standard two zone Alesis Strike crash will work as a three zone (single cable) ride cymbal on Simmons and other Medeli modules. Yes I said that correctly, a two zone crash as a three zone ride on Simmons and Medeli drum modules. I'm putting this out there because the Crimson module is based on a Medeli module. I'm guessing you have a single cable three zone ride on your Crimson? I don't know for sure, but I would guess you could use a Strike crash cymbal as a fully functioning three zone ride with just one cable on your Crimson. Unfortunately, I don't have a Crimson module to try it. I do have a Simmons SD2000 (not medeli) module and SD1000 (which is based on a medeli module) and both can use a Strike crash cymbal as a fully functional single cable three zone ride.

I can confirm the STRIKE 14" crash works as a single cable 3 zone ride with the DM10 MKII Studio,Crimson,Crimson II
I can confirm the STRIKE 14" crash DOES NOT work as a single cable 3 zone ride with the Command or Forge..
I can confirm the reason it does work... there is a 360 degree switch in the bell...same as the STRIKE 16" Ride..

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that not only does the Bell, Bow, and Edge work..but also the Choke function (DM10 MK II Studio,Crimson.Crimson II)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 04:32:21 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »

No, just wanted to learn. Didn't know the original DM10 has dual-input ride.

Well, I WASN'T looking for anything until I learned the Strike crash works as a 3-zone ride on the Crimson.
How much better are Strike cymbals compared to the DMPad cymbals?

No ... no I mustn't. Then I'd want to change both my crashes to Strike crashes too and back into the rabbit hole I go.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:09:36 PM by tmk21315 »
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Iggford

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
Well, I WASN'T looking for anything until I learned the Strike crash works as a 3-zone ride on the Crimson.
How much better are Strike cymbals compared to the DMPad cymbals?

No ... no I mustn't. Then I'd want to change both my crashes to Strike crashes too and back into the rabbit hole I go.

I'm a bit mixed on the Strike crashes.  Sure, they do look good, but to me, it seems like they can tend to be a little more inconsistent than the DMPad cymbals.  I've heard it explained that it has to do with the thickness of the rubber on them, and I can definitely confirm that they are much thicker cymbal pads. 

Don't get me wrong, I do like them, and they do work just fine most of the time.  But they do take some getting used to when it comes to switching from the DMPad cymbals.  Just have to learn how to best make them respond to your playing style.

--
Shawn