Author Topic: DM10 module - Triggers do not work after firmware update  (Read 1397 times)

DM10 module - Triggers do not work after firmware update
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

Since I couldn't be at my acoustic set with this virus going around I decided to break out the dm10 and give it an update. (Which was clearly a mistake). I installed it following the instructions to a T. I tried Midi-OX and the stock dm10 updater. The boot file did not update, would not let me. App syx file updated fine, triggers failed to update, sound rom failed to update multiple times, had a fatal error and then finally got the sound rom to update after about 3 days of messing with it... (The sound rom update took almost 2 days). After all that I had it booted up now but the triggers don't work. I can't even get into the update mode by holding record.. 5 LEDs pop on and stay on and I'm looking at a blank backlight screen. Did I brick this module? Is there a way to obtain original stock dm10 syx files?

Utility: O/S

Trigger: Blank
Sound Rom: V1.03
Sound OS: V1.00q

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dylan

Offline Chaser

Re: DM10 module - Triggers do not work after firmware update
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

Since I couldn't be at my acoustic set with this virus going around I decided to break out the dm10 and give it an update. (Which was clearly a mistake). I installed it following the instructions to a T. I tried Midi-OX and the stock dm10 updater. The boot file did not update, would not let me. App syx file updated fine, triggers failed to update, sound rom failed to update multiple times, had a fatal error and then finally got the sound rom to update after about 3 days of messing with it... (The sound rom update took almost 2 days). After all that I had it booted up now but the triggers don't work. I can't even get into the update mode by holding record.. 5 LEDs pop on and stay on and I'm looking at a blank backlight screen. Did I brick this module? Is there a way to obtain original stock dm10 syx files?

Utility: O/S

Trigger: Blank
Sound Rom: V1.03
Sound OS: V1.00q

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dylan

You cannot downgrade the Original DM10.
The technician and software hasn't been available at Alesis since 2014 when Alesis "cleaned house"

I presume you used the 08/25/2014 update...which is for Mylar Heads..RealHat pedal.
The "Sound OS: V1.00q" file shown is the older version  "DM10_app_v1.00q.syx...08/2014

The DM10 – FINAL Firmware Updates [posted 9/22/2014] were for Mesh Heads and the option of RealHat or Pro-X.
The screen is blank because one or more of the updates were corrupted..it also occured during a downgrade trick for a hi hat problem as 6-7 years ago users when updated to the wrong Hihat(Pro-X) and the downgrade back to Realhat was to use the Dm10 Studio sound 1.03 rom...
In your case...who knows..installing randomly..powering module on/off,incomplete updating..using midi-ox to try and install etc.
Midiox,C6 Elektron (PC) were mainly used through the 5 pin MIDI.

I  ran across the blank screen helping someone with the same problem after a downgrading for the realhat then later purchased a Pro-X..but the updates still installed as the Pro-X is latest/last update and the update screen returned after updating to 9/2014 updates.
He got lucky...

Since the screen will be blank so you will need to pay attention to the Updater progress bar and check after each update to make sure the DM10 is still connected.
The Updater app is XP era..place the update folder on the desktop.
Try the updating procedure from there first.If no success move the update folder to C:..or main HDD

Hold Record while powering on...START THE UPDATER..
check and make sure DM10 is selected for MIDI device.

The files need to be installed in a particular order.
The order is as follows:
    DM10 Boot -           1dm0-boot-vx.xxx.syx
    DM10 App -            1dm0-app-vx.xxx.syx
    DM10 Triggers -       DM10_triggers_Vx.xxx.syx
    DM10 Sound ROM - DM10_sound_rom-Vx.xx.syx

Drag update into window watch progress bar..when complete wait a sec or so power off the module.

Power on holding Record..check..make sure DM10 is connected/MIDI Device..

Repeat for each update..if for some reason dragging the syx files into the Updater window does not show any progress or error.
Hold down Record..double click update file..release Record when it starts

The Final Versions
DM10 – Firmware Updates [posted 9/22/2014]
DM10 Updater 1.00
DM10_boot_v1.00h.syx
DM10-app-v1.00s.syx
DM10_triggers_V1.00a.syx (use with real hat pedal)
DM10_triggers_V1.01b.syx (use with Alesis Pro-X hi hat)
DM10_sound_rom-V1.03.syx

The 9/22/2014 update is in the DM10 Mesh kit downloads..DM10 Studio Mesh..DM10 X Mesh..

https://alesis.com/products/view2/dm10-studio-mesh

NOTE:
During the update there was an option for selecting the Kit model for Trigger Settings.
Since the screen is blank this option may not be shown.

Follow these instructions

Initializing the Default Trigger Settings(for DM10 Studio Kit, DM10 Studio Kit Mesh, DM10 X Kit, and DM10 X Kit Mesh only)
Once your DM10 module is updated, initialize the default trigger settings to the correct kit before playing.
1.Power on your DM10 module.
2.Press the Utility button.
3.In the screen that appears, choose F4 (Sys).
4.On the next screen, choose F2 (Init).
5.Use the Cursor Down button to highlight the Trigger Settings option and then press the F4 (Exec) button.
6.On the next screen, use the Cursor Down button to highlight your drum kit and then press F1 (Exec).
Your DM10 module will return to its Main Screen.

Good Luck !
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8159.msg52805#msg52805