Author Topic: Alesis SR-18: Set bass note length in step edit mode  (Read 721 times)

Alesis SR-18: Set bass note length in step edit mode
« on: July 05, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »
When creating bass parts in the Alesis SR-18's step edit mode, how do I set the note length?

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis SR-18: Set bass note length in step edit mode
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:56:37 PM »
When creating bass parts in the Alesis SR-18's step edit mode, how do I set the note length?

Alesis SR18 Reference Manual  pg 31

PAGE 2:GATE
When  entering Bass parts in Step Edit Mode,the Gate parameter specifies the duration of notes, as a percentage of the quantization value.
For  example,if you have selected  a  gate  time of 99 (which is equivalent to  100%  of  the  quantization  value) and a quantization value of ¼ note,the  bass notes will be ¼ note in duration.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 09:53:35 AM »
Thank you so much! Do you know how to program a note that's longer than the quantization value? For example, a note lasting a whole measure?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »
Thank you so much! Do you know how to program a note that's longer than the quantization value? For example, a note lasting a whole measure?

I haven't owned a SR machine in years..
As far as I know..once the pattern is created and value is set.. you can't exceed the value.It also might have to do with being in Step Edit..
Here is a more recent video on programming Bass..in User Mode..maybe it can be helpful.

Alesis SR18 Pt.2 Programming the Bass

EDIT:
Also check the Envelopes...they may be able get the desired result you are looking for.

Alesis SR18 Reference manual  pg 26

PAGE:7 ATTACK ENVELOPE (BASS ONLY)
PAGE 8 DECAY ENVELOPE
PAGE 9 RELEASE ENVELOPE (BASS ONLY)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:02:39 AM by Chaser »