Author Topic: Surge cymbal problem  (Read 2618 times)

Surge cymbal problem
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
Hi , I have a problem with my surge HiHat ... every time i strike the cymbal it register multiple hit ... i can hear something resonate ... someone have this problem ... maybe somting loose in the little black box ... or the clear plastic under the cymbal ... an idea ? tanks

Offline DeeDubs

Re: Surge cymbal problem
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
Hmm.. There's a lot in the signal line that could be causing this (rack, stand, cymbal, etc.). First off I would take the surge cymbal off the stand and unplug it. then give it a shake in a quiet room.. any piezo rattling inside?.. If no, plug it in and test it in your lap (not in the stand). if it's wierd here, try another input (like a tom, etc.) and repeat. if everything's still cool at this stage, I'd say it's either how you mounted it or how your rack is set up..

Let us know how you make out..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
i tested it out of the stand ... same problem . I tested another cymbal in the stand and all work great ... the problem is realy the cymbal ... but the piezo box hold on the cymbal by rivet ... so i couldn't remove it to check what do the rattle sound.... and my cymbal is pass warranty by just 2 or 3 week ..... did somone already experiment to cut the rivet to check inside ???

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
i tested it out of the stand ... same problem . I tested another cymbal in the stand and all work great ... the problem is realy the cymbal ... but the piezo box hold on the cymbal by rivet ... so i couldn't remove it to check what do the rattle sound.... and my cymbal is pass warranty by just 2 or 3 week ..... did somone already experiment to cut the rivet to check inside ???
If you are comfirtable taking it apart you can have a look here:

Repairing /Modding a Surge Cymbal

If I had to guess I would say your piezo element is no longer attached to the bottom of the black box. If it is bouncing around in there, it would register multiple hits and you would most likely hear it bouncing around. If that is the problem you will need some high strength double sided tape to fix it. I hope that helps.