Author Topic: How much natural, acoustic noise do Alesis Surge cymbals make?  (Read 5462 times)

How much natural, acoustic noise do Alesis Surge cymbals make?
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
As the title says, how much natural, acoustic noise do Alesis Surge cymbals make?

I live in an apartment and will be playing fairly quietly. Rehearsing with acoustic guitars etc.

I have 2 concerns:

Firstly that the acoustic noise made by the surge cymbals when playing with a low level of amplification will interfere with the sound generated by the DM10 module.

Secondly, that the acoustic sound of the Surge cymbals may annoy my neighbours.

I am considering the Alesis DM10 pro kit OR the studio kit.

Any videos illustrating the acoustics of the surge cymbals?

Thanks
Dylan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:54:49 PM by dylanphelan »

Re: How much natural, acoustic noise do Alesis Surge cymbals make?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
They are sealed with a coating that gives it the volume of tapping a drumstick on a table. If you play through the cymbal as you would with a crash it is very quiet. If you tap the ride and high hats with the tip of your stick you will hear it a bit louder but it doesn't project at all. It does not reverberate. I play them late at night and my wife sleeps 2 rooms down the hall and she doesn't hear them at all. They feel much better than the rubber cymbal pads IMHO. I would go for the Pro kit. (Put your snare pad on a snare stand though. TRUST ME)
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. This was my main concern with the pro kit.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
if you search youtube for my Dyn Articulation video, I accidentially deleted the module audio, so i left the accoustic audio.  you can hear what it sounds like.  FYI.   Search guinness DM10.

Hope that helps.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
Thanks.

Also came across this which was quite useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSF5J0aXfM&feature=watch_response

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
Sorry to be off subject here, but also be aware of bass drum noise. Im pretty sure the bass is louder acoustically than the cymbals, although I have never used the Surge cymbals. There are ways to make it (bass) quieter discussed thoroughly on this site. Just a heads up.
Stock DM10 Studio kit for now