Author Topic: Hi hat calibration - DM10 MKii Pro  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Joker47

Hi hat calibration - DM10 MKii Pro
« on: April 17, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
I’ve been trying to calibrate my new Goedrum hi hat, but everything I look up only references the older DM10, I’m guessing, as the instructions don’t make sense.
On this site, as well as elsewhere, and find these instructions:

To calibrate the hi-hat pedal:
1. Connect the hi-hat pedal to the module but do not press it down.

2. On the module, press EXT TRIG.

3. You will see a page with items including "Sensitvty" and "Function."
Use the CURSOR UP / DOWN buttons to highlight the "Input" field at
the top of the screen then use the VALUE UP / DOWN buttons to
select "HiHat."

4. Press CAL (F4).

5. With the hi-hat pedal completely raised ("open"), press CAL OPEN
(F1 or F2) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

6. With the hi-hat pedal completely pressed ("closed"), press CAL
CLSED (F3 or F4) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

7. Press EXIT to exit the calibration page (or press DRUM KIT to return to the main screen).

However, my DM10 MKii Pro does not have an “EXT TRIG” button. Only a “TRIGGER” button, and that doesn’t send me to a screen that makes any sense with the instructions above. Alesis site has the same, and the manual mentions nothing.

Where can I find the directions for calibrating a hi hat on the DM10 MKii Pro module?

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: Hi hat calibration - DM10 MKii Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:44:35 AM »
I’ve been trying to calibrate my new Goedrum hi hat, but everything I look up only references the older DM10, I’m guessing, as the instructions don’t make sense.
On this site, as well as elsewhere, and find these instructions:

To calibrate the hi-hat pedal:
1. Connect the hi-hat pedal to the module but do not press it down.

2. On the module, press EXT TRIG.

3. You will see a page with items including "Sensitvty" and "Function."
Use the CURSOR UP / DOWN buttons to highlight the "Input" field at
the top of the screen then use the VALUE UP / DOWN buttons to
select "HiHat."

4. Press CAL (F4).

5. With the hi-hat pedal completely raised ("open"), press CAL OPEN
(F1 or F2) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

6. With the hi-hat pedal completely pressed ("closed"), press CAL
CLSED (F3 or F4) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

7. Press EXIT to exit the calibration page (or press DRUM KIT to return to the main screen).

However, my DM10 MKii Pro does not have an “EXT TRIG” button. Only a “TRIGGER” button, and that doesn’t send me to a screen that makes any sense with the instructions above. Alesis site has the same, and the manual mentions nothing.

Where can I find the directions for calibrating a hi hat on the DM10 MKii Pro module?

Thanks,
J

The DM10 MKII Pro doesn't have a Hi Hat Calibration feature...
Did you purchase the Alesis model ?..there is a warning about compatibility being with the original DM10 and the STRIKE module.
You'll have to set it up the best you can or contact Goedrum and see if there are recommended settings for the DM10 MKII Pro module which is completely different than the Original DM10 module

Goedrum Electronic Hi-Hat Set GH7
This eHi-Hat can work together with Roland V-drum modules only.

Goedrum Electronic Hi-Hat Set GH7-AN
This eHi-Hat can work together with Alesis DM10 and Strike drum modules, but may not work well with Alesis other models.

Goedrum Electronic Hi-Hat Set GH7-Y
This eHi-Hat can work together with Yamaha drum modules only.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »

The DM10 MKII Pro doesn't have a Hi Hat Calibration feature...

[/quote]

Jesus.....of course not.....thank you for letting me know. I honestly didn't know that.... :P

I'm as sure as I can be that I bought the Alesis one. When I paid for it, the guy contacted me before taking payment and asked the drum module I was using, I told him the full kit I have, and he did say that the one I got would be compatible with the DM10 MKll Pro module.

I should have mentioned that it IS working. That is: I get sound and I can play it. However, it doesn't seem to have the closed-1/4-1/2-full open settings working. It seems mostly full closed and full open, with a close and open sound. (Got, I hope that makes sense.)
My thought process that since it was working somewhat, that before I started going in a tweaking settings, to make sure it was calibrated first. Obviously, that wasn't going to work. (Thanks again)
So, I assume now, based on your comments, I'll dig into the settings and see if I can make it as good as I can get.

Thanks for your help and education. If anyone has any settings I could focus on to start, I'd appreciate any input. :-)

Regards,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:09:05 PM »

Jesus.....of course not.....thank you for letting me know. I honestly didn't know that.... :P

I'm as sure as I can be that I bought the Alesis one. When I paid for it, the guy contacted me before taking payment and asked the drum module I was using, I told him the full kit I have, and he did say that the one I got would be compatible with the DM10 MKll Pro module.

I should have mentioned that it IS working. That is: I get sound and I can play it. However, it doesn't seem to have the closed-1/4-1/2-full open settings working. It seems mostly full closed and full open, with a close and open sound. (Got, I hope that makes sense.)
My thought process that since it was working somewhat, that before I started going in a tweaking settings, to make sure it was calibrated first. Obviously, that wasn't going to work. (Thanks again)
So, I assume now, based on your comments, I'll dig into the settings and see if I can make it as good as I can get.

Thanks for your help and education. If anyone has any settings I could focus on to start, I'd appreciate any input. :-)

Regards,
J

There isn't much info available for DM10 MKII pro but from info gathered in this forum "loosley" based on the Medeli DD638...I say that because I have worked with other users and determined it has a number of the same features/functions/MIDI and Sample base of the DD638.

See this Topic
RADRick1 put a lot of effort into compiling a Voice List for the DM10 MKII Pro

The DM10 MKII Pro doesn't have 1/4 or 1/2...just Open.. Closed..Pedal(chick)..Splash.
The module doesn't have any voices listed separately or what is in the "Hi Hat Combinations"
but if it isn't listed separately then more than likely there aren't any 1/4-1/2 Open Samples/Voices.
I can only recommend trying all the Hi Hat Combinations and see if any have a 1/4-1/2 sounds.

Even the STRIKE Module has different variations in the Hi Hat Combinations and very few of the Hi Hat Instruments are even close to being a Full Range Hi Hat.
The STRIKE module does have the ability to allow you to move around the velocity ranges and/or add those missing ..if you have the samples.

The MIDI Map also shows this..DM10 MKII Pro User Guide pg 7
Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-Hat Open (Edge) 26
Hi-Hat Closed 42
Hi-Hat Closed (Edge)   22
Hi-Hat Pedal 44
Hi-Hat Splash 21.

and for a comparison/example here is the Nitro MIDI Map..
Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-Hat Half-Open 23
Hi-Hat Closed 42
Hi-Hat Pedal 44
Splash 21 

All drum modules are basically TMI (Trigger To MIDI Interfaces)..you can select the option using "Local Control On/Off" to use the onboard sound engine and play the onboard sounds or send MIDI to external Sound Engines/Sounds like a VST/Software

You will get the 1/4-1/2 open in a VST/software as that is determined by CC4 (Hi Hat pedal position) info sent from the module.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 08:24:57 PM »
Thanks Chaser. I’ll read through those links and see if they can help me get a better sound out of it. 🙂

Just for fun:

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks Chaser. I’ll read through those links and see if they can help me get a better sound out of it. 🙂

Hopefully they will be of some help.
Alesis created a lot of confusion with the DM10.
There were around 7 versions of the Original DM10...then the MKII Studio was released (March 2017)...then the DM10 MKII Pro (June 2017)..all the while dropping "DM" from a number of kits so as you are browsing through the topics etc consider all posts/topics that are Pre-March 2017 to be for the Original DM10.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »

There isn't much info available for DM10 MKII pro but from info gathered in this forum "loosley" based on the Medeli DD638...I say that because I have worked with other users and determined it has a number of the same features/functions/MIDI and Sample base of the DD638.

See this Topic
RADRick1 put a lot of effort into compiling a Voice List for the DM10 MKII Pro

The DM10 MKII Pro doesn't have 1/4 or 1/2...just Open.. Closed..Pedal(chick)..Splash.
The module doesn't have any voices listed separately or what is in the "Hi Hat Combinations"
but if it isn't listed separately then more than likely there aren't any 1/4-1/2 Open Samples/Voices.
I can only recommend trying all the Hi Hat Combinations and see if any have a 1/4-1/2 sounds.

Even the STRIKE Module has different variations in the Hi Hat Combinations and very few of the Hi Hat Instruments are even close to being a Full Range Hi Hat.
The STRIKE module does have the ability to allow you to move around the velocity ranges and/or add those missing ..if you have the samples.

The MIDI Map also shows this..DM10 MKII Pro User Guide pg 7
Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-Hat Open (Edge) 26
Hi-Hat Closed 42
Hi-Hat Closed (Edge)   22
Hi-Hat Pedal 44
Hi-Hat Splash 21.

and for a comparison/example here is the Nitro MIDI Map..
Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-Hat Half-Open 23
Hi-Hat Closed 42
Hi-Hat Pedal 44
Splash 21 

All drum modules are basically TMI (Trigger To MIDI Interfaces)..you can select the option using "Local Control On/Off" to use the onboard sound engine and play the onboard sounds or send MIDI to external Sound Engines/Sounds like a VST/Software

You will get the 1/4-1/2 open in a VST/software as that is determined by CC4 (Hi Hat pedal position) info sent from the module.

Since it really sounds like a limitation of the module itself, would upgrading to another module make life easier? That is, ability to get the sounds I want?

Cost aside for now, could something like the Roland TD-50 provide what I am looking for? Is switching to a different module almost plug and play? (Minus obvious personal tweaks and settings.)

I'm just trying to educate myself on the options available and limitations/complications of those possible options.

Thanks again.
J

Just for fun:

Offline Joker47

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 05:12:50 PM »
So, after a lot of digging around, reading posts and threads, and user manuals, it APPEARS that only these modules have closed/half open/full open hi hat sounds:

- Pearl MIMP24B Mimic Pro
- Roland TD-50
- Yamaha DTX-900 (Edited to add this one, that looks like it has variable closed/half open/full open sounds as well.)

Does that seem to match anyone else's findings?
Would switching from the DM10 MKll Pro be a plug and play, then tweak? Or are the cables completely different for the Roland or Pearl, compared to Alesis?

Any thoughts any one has is always appreciated.

Regards,
J
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:30:23 PM by Joker47 »

Just for fun:

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 11:19:22 AM »
So, after a lot of digging around, reading posts and threads, and user manuals, it APPEARS that only these modules have closed/half open/full open hi hat sounds:

- Pearl MIMP24B Mimic Pro
- Roland TD-50
- Yamaha DTX-900 (Edited to add this one, that looks like it has variable closed/half open/full open sounds as well.)

Does that seem to match anyone else's findings?
Would switching from the DM10 MKll Pro be a plug and play, then tweak? Or are the cables completely different for the Roland or Pearl, compared to Alesis?

Any thoughts any one has is always appreciated.

Regards,
J

- Alesis Strike has variable closed/half open/full open sounds.

- Simmons SD1200 has full variable CC#4 midi for the hi-hat (internal sounds are closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full + splash & foot chick), no hi-hat calibration however. So you have to use stock controller. Or DIY a solution. The Goedrum controller I have works about 80%. I don't get totally full open or splash, but that's because there is no calibration on the SD1200. I really need to try a different value of resistor in the controller to get it to work with the SD1200.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 12:20:57 AM »
Hi - I have a question that's similar to this thread.

If I understand correctly, the DM10 only offers three voices for the hi-hat (closed, half-open, full open). 

In order to get more variable hi-hat sounds between closed and open, could I use a VST with the existing foot controller and DM10 (using MIDI)?  Is there a particular DAW and VST I'd need for this?

Thanks in advance!
Chris