Author Topic: New Kat kit looks promising!  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Sam

New Kat kit looks promising!
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Chrome hardware, 3 zone hi-hat, and nice module starting at $1000. Oh, and it's not an ugly color like bright red or something. The big selling point for me is the hi-hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beb7zv95m3g
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Offline Khes74

Re: New Kat kit looks promising!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
Chrome hardware, 3 zone hi-hat, and nice module starting at $1000. Oh, and it's not an ugly color like bright red or something. The big selling point for me is the hi-hat.

I mean it's nothing special. Mylar drum kick head, The rack tubes itself are fine but the boom arms and rest of the plastic clamps(not the metal) are probably going to break mine quickly. Mine have on Alesis kits. I doubt the sounds will be any better infact The only companies that really sampled well were Roland, Yamaha and 2box. It looks like the DM10 Module actually when you look close enough. Most of what KAT does it re-brand other electronic drums just like Alesis. Simmons already had the importing MIDI tracks. Mario is a pretty cool guy though but KAT just doesn't do it for me. The new amp though looks interesting, haven't seen anything like it.

Offline Sam

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
We'll have to see how they sound, if they are vst quality samples or not.  Agreed, just repackaging some of the Alesis hardware is lame. But again, to my knowledge no other company has come out with a kit with a dynamic multi zone hi-hat for a $1000. I'll have to see how that plays too in the store as well.
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Offline Khes74

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
We'll have to see how they sound, if they are vst quality samples or not.  Agreed, just repackaging some of the Alesis hardware is lame. But again, to my knowledge no other company has come out with a kit with a dynamic multi zone hi-hat for a $1000. I'll have to see how that plays too in the store as well.

I highly  doubt it will. As for the hi-hat 3 zones seems a little silly to me IMO.

Offline Sal

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »
I do like more 3 zone cymbals, but yeah on the hi-hat it seems overkill.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »

Thanks Sam for sharing this link. I think this is a great step for KAT. The KT4 address a few short comings of the KT2/3 (i.e. the module). I watched the video twice.

Just an FYI, the $1000.00 price tag is NOT for the drum kit. It is for the Sound system. The kit, he just said would be "competitive" in price. If I had to guess, I would say the street price is going to be $1500.00

I mean it's nothing special. Mylar drum kick head, The rack tubes itself are fine but the boom arms and rest of the plastic clamps(not the metal) are probably going to break mine quickly. Mine have on Alesis kits. I doubt the sounds will be any better infact The only companies that really sampled well were Roland, Yamaha and 2box. It looks like the DM10 Module actually when you look close enough. Most of what KAT does it re-brand other electronic drums just like Alesis. Simmons already had the importing MIDI tracks. Mario is a pretty cool guy though but KAT just doesn't do it for me. The new amp though looks interesting, haven't seen anything like it.

The new KT4 looks to have metal clamps on it, so I doubt the plastic clamp thing will be a problem. Yes, the KT4 is mainly re-brand stuff, but (and this is a big but which is true for Simmons as well), KAT is not using the stock Medeli sound engine. I agree with you about the mylar drum kick trigger. I really hope they redesigned the internals on that thing, because that is my biggest gripe with these kick triggers.

One last thing. The Alesis DM10, DM8 and Trigger I/O modules are NOT re-brands. I'm not sure if you meant that, but that is the impression that I get when I read your post. Many people make that mistake because the rest of the Alesis drum kits are re-branded, but the DM10, DM8 and the Trigger I/O are NOT re-brands

Offline Khes74

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:20:54 PM »

I think I saw a one plastic clamp around 2:47 granted it's a "tube top mount"  for the  center left and center right sides of the kit which means it's replacable, not easily though it took some time to get mine out when it broke. Alesis uses the same thing on their Dm10 studio kit and Dm8 kits. The rest of the clamps are metal and the rack seems to be the same as the Dm10x

Yeah the Dm10, Dm8 and Trigger IO are not re brands but the Dm10 and the Trigger IO basically have been rebranded. I was noting that the Kat KT4 module looks suspiciously like the Alesis Dm10 module. However Mario did say they sampled Gretsch drums so the sound samples shouldn't be completely the same. Granted you can sample drums with a $10 microphone and it will come out sounding horrible.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:22:28 PM by Khes74 »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Yeah the Dm10, Dm8 and Trigger IO are not re brands but the Dm10 and the Trigger IO basically have been rebranded. I was noting that the Kat KT4 module looks suspiciously like the Alesis Dm10 module. However Mario did say they sampled Gretsch drums so the sound samples shouldn't be completely the same. Granted you can sample drums with a $10 microphone and it will come out sounding horrible.

Yes the DM10 and Trigger I/O have been re-brand as the Pearl REDbox and the Ddrum DDTi, however I know that the new KT4 is not a rebranded DM10. It is a rebranded (sort of) Medeli module. Most likely the DD508. Medeli can put the guts of the DD508 into just about any shape. What gives it away as a Medeli module is the kit piece buttons. Only Medeli does that. The DD508 is also used for the Simmons SD1000. Of course these companies (i.e. Simmons & KAT) are only using the DD508 mother board. Companies are able to customize the sounds roms and in the case of Simmons alter the OS altogether.