Author Topic: January 22, 2015? NAMM  (Read 11832 times)

Offline Sal

January 22, 2015? NAMM
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
From the Alesis FB page...WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:51:53 PM by Hellfire »
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Chaser

Re: January 22, 2015?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
Jan 22 is when the the NAMM show starts...where Alesis displays products they never release

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2015

Offline Sal

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
Jan 22 is when the the NAMM show starts...where Alesis displays products they never release

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2015

HA! But we finally got the iPad dock and the Pro X hats!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »
Would you believe that's when Alesis releases the SampleRack and PadPro? .......... that would be a surprise!

Offline Sal

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »
Would you believe that's when Alesis releases the SampleRack and PadPro? .......... that would be a surprise!

As I do not know what those things are...by definition I would also be surprised.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »
Alesis displays products they never release

THIS!!!
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

Offline Khes74

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Hmmm. Yes I see a possibility. Only way I would buy  a new Alesis anything really is if it's module  with switch velocity though.  Alesis never completely discontinued the SURGE line I believe. Besides It's just re branded smart-rigger cymbals.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:19:46 PM by Khes74 »

Offline Sal

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
What product would that be?

Online Hellfire

Re: January 22, 2015? NAMM
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your title to include the word "NAMM". I was going to start a NAMM topic, but you beat me to it.  :)

I actually think this will be there big product release this time at NAMM. I would be surprised if they didn't release them at this point because they already have a file update on their site for these products and they aren't even released yet.  ;)

Only way I would buy  a new Alesis anything really is if it's module  with switch velocity though.

Do you mean multi-layer instruments? The sample rack will let you velocity switch between two sounds, but that will not be enough to make a good sounding instrument. You would need at least 6-10 samples minimum and I stress minimum (with a good switching algorithm between samples) to make it sound real or non-electronic. More like 10-20 samples would be preferred. And for others reading this, YES, I know VST's use 30 or more samples per instrument. It just isn't necessary to have that many layers as long as you have a good switching algorithm (I will not list what needs to be in that algorithm since this topic isn't about that and could easily be its own topic of discussion).

Alesis never completely discontinued the SURGE line I believe. Besides It's just re branded smart-rigger cymbals.

That's not exactly true. The Surge cymbals are discontinued, there is just a lot of new/old stock that people are trying to get rid of. Also, the Surge are not truly re-branded Smartrigger cymbals. Alesis gets the PCB's from Smartrigger, but the rest of the cymbal was made to Alesis specifications. They basically got permission to manufacture a copy of the Smartrigger cymbals, but Smartrigger didn't make them. Yes, its a fine line of distinction, but I was corrected by Alesis a couple times.

Offline Sal

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:18:05 PM »

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your title to include the word "NAMM". I was going to start a NAMM topic, but you beat me to it.  :)

It's been a slow work week. I've been all over the boards the last few days. Saw this on FB and couldn't let it go without passing it along here!

If this becomes the official NAMM 2015 topic I will be honored to have started it. You change whatever you need to change.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »

I actually think this will be there big product release this time at NAMM. I would be surprised if they didn't release them at this point because they already have a file update on their site for these products and they aren't even released yet.  ;)

Only way I would buy  a new Alesis anything really is if it's module  with switch velocity though.

Do you mean multi-layer instruments? The sample rack will let you velocity switch between two sounds, but that will not be enough to make a good sounding instrument. You would need at least 6-10 samples minimum and I stress minimum (with a good switching algorithm between samples) to make it sound real or non-electronic. More like 10-20 samples would be preferred. And for others reading this, YES, I know VST's use 30 or more samples per instrument. It just isn't necessary to have that many layers as long as you have a good switching algorithm (I will not list what needs to be in that algorithm since this topic isn't about that and could easily be its own topic of discussion).

Alesis never completely discontinued the SURGE line I believe. Besides It's just re branded smart-rigger cymbals.

That's not exactly true. The Surge cymbals are discontinued, there is just a lot of new/old stock that people are trying to get rid of. Also, the Surge are not truly re-branded Smartrigger cymbals. Alesis gets the PCB's from Smartrigger, but the rest of the cymbal was made to Alesis specifications. They basically got permission to manufacture a copy of the Smartrigger cymbals, but Smartrigger didn't make them. Yes, its a fine line of distinction, but I was corrected by Alesis a couple times.

I received my DM10 Pro Kit a couple months ago. When I talked to the rep he said the Dm10 Pro Kit hadn't  be officially discontinued yet. I guess I assumed the same for the Smartrigger/SURGE cymbals. Alesis seemed like it was trying to get rid of that last DM10 Pro kit IMO.

As for Velocity Switch I meant Velocity of the switch zone like Roland cymbals.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:56:31 PM by Khes74 »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
Hellfire,

The multi layers 4-6 sample capable will be probably more on the Sample Rack Pro version, remember there was Sample Pad at beginning and now Sample Pad Pro version.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »
The multi layers 4-6 sample capable will be probably more on the Sample Rack Pro version, remember there was Sample Pad at beginning and now Sample Pad Pro version.

So you are saying the "Sample Rack" (which isn't out quite yet) will not have multi layers (other than two) but a "Sample Rack Pro" you think will?

If that's the case we should have had this a decade ago. In 1998 Alesis released the DMPro which would allow users to make their own instruments with up to 6 velocity layers. So now in 2015 we have to wait another few years before we can do what was possible in 1998?

I honestly think this current "Sample Rack" should be able to handle 6-10 velocity layers, but I doubt it will because, that would require a very good software editor to makes those instruments. Alesis doesn't normally sink that kind of money into a product, but I might be wrong (actually I'm hopping I am). We will see when NAMM comes. Who knows, maybe Alesis will surprise us with a new module (DM10 replacement?). Anything is possible.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
I like to see the mesh kit released in the U.S. Without the mesh heads. I can buy my own heads.
JimmyB

Online ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

So you are saying the "Sample Rack" (which isn't out quite yet) will not have multi layers (other than two) but a "Sample Rack Pro" you think will?

If that's the case we should have had this a decade ago. In 1998 Alesis released the DMPro which would allow users to make their own instruments with up to 6 velocity layers. So now in 2015 we have to wait another few years before we can do what was possible in 1998?

I honestly think this current "Sample Rack" should be able to handle 6-10 velocity layers, but I doubt it will because, that would require a very good software editor to makes those instruments. Alesis doesn't normally sink that kind of money into a product, but I might be wrong (actually I'm hopping I am). We will see when NAMM comes. Who knows, maybe Alesis will surprise us with a new module (DM10 replacement?). Anything is possible.

Hi,
    Well from what we have seen on the doc it is limited to 2, with velocity control option, since it is SD cards, and will take time to load sample like probably the MPX16, more then 2 sound will create more time to load, it need more ram on the unit to handle more sample and time loading, I think the MPX16 is limited to 16 mb total.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
I like to see the mesh kit released in the U.S. Without the mesh heads. I can buy my own heads.
JimmyB

Pesky Roland huh? Beat Alesis to it. Hey Pintech makes heads also if you don't like your silent strokes...

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »

Hi,
    Well from what we have seen on the doc it is limited to 2, with velocity control option, since it is SD cards, and will take time to load sample like probably the MPX16, more then 2 sound will create more time to load, it need more ram on the unit to handle more sample and time loading, I think the MPX16 is limited to 16 mb total.

I bet its faster than loading a different sound set in the DM10 (which takes almost 10 minutes.)

I'm sure the Sample Rack will have its uses. Since Alesis no longer has a $150.00 Trigger I/O (now made exclusively for Ddrum as the DDti), the Sample Rack will become the new TMI (trigger midi interface) at a price of $199.00. It comes with 200 sounds already in the device and you will be able to load your own samples. So right now I look at the Sample Rack as a TMI with a few extras, but there is no way a person will be able to make a full kit out of a Sample Rack and not sound like a machine gun sandwich.

On a side note, I wonder how many velocity layers the built in 200 sounds will have? I bet it will be more than two. If that's the case we might have to find a way to look at those stock wav files and see if we can mimic the structure. That's a big "if".

I will most likely buy one just because I want to try it first hand, but I don't really have high hopes for it at this point. There just isn't enough info about it. If it turn out to be an incredible device @$199.00 and be everything that edrummers want it to be, I will be one of the first to sing its praises, but I just don't see that to be the case right now. That comment is based on the current available info and Alesis' own track record with new products.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
Here is what I would like to see at NAMM 2015 for Alesis

1. Dm20? Dm15? Dm16.787999. Whatever some upgraded Alesis module with velocity on switch zones and dual zone hi-hat

2. 12" Kick pad or 10" Kick pad with better support(something like this- http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ACdfrFATL._SY355_.jpg. The simmons one probably has the same problems as the Alesis Kick pads with the front being too low though. However the Adjustable back legs make this less of a problem if you want to bump up the size of front feet and screws.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »

Hi,

I bet its faster than loading a different sound set in the DM10 (which takes almost 10 minutes.)

I'm sure the Sample Rack will have its uses. Since Alesis no longer has a $150.00 Trigger I/O (now made exclusively for Ddrum as the DDti), the Sample Rack will become the new TMI (trigger midi interface) at a price of $199.00. It comes with 200 sounds already in the device and you will be able to load your own samples. So right now I look at the Sample Rack as a TMI with a few extras, but there is no way a person will be able to make a full kit out of a Sample Rack and not sound like a machine gun sandwich.

On a side note, I wonder how many velocity layers the built in 200 sounds will have? I bet it will be more than two. If that's the case we might have to find a way to look at those stock wav files and see if we can mimic the structure. That's a big "if".

I will most likely buy one just because I want to try it first hand, but I don't really have high hopes for it at this point. There just isn't enough info about it. If it turn out to be an incredible device @$199.00 and be everything that edrummers want it to be, I will be one of the first to sing its praises, but I just don't see that to be the case right now. That comment is based on the current available info and Alesis' own track record with new products.

For sure there is positive, the price first, replacement of the TMI, or even for those who you want to trigs effect, percussion and one shot sound or loops, it's very useful at this price, and even for those who don't care about machine gun but want their own sound it's a good device...The only things, I found very weird probably related to the ram inside, is the 500 wav slot limitation on a 32 gig which is about 92,000 wav slot on the Roland TM-2..

It's a plus if the internal sound have velocity switch more then 2 layers.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »

Offline Sal

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Uu, uuh  - a new "killer" in town???
http://www.nfuzdaudio.com/?utm_source=FXNewsletterLink&utm_medium=email&utm_content=23101737&utm_campaign=FXNewsJan2015

Seems to be a FXpansion/BFD partnership. Can't await a first look ;D ;D

Oh I get it....Infused.

Are these meant to go onto acoustic drums?

Online ChrisK

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
Uu, uuh  - a new "killer" in town???
http://www.nfuzdaudio.com/?utm_source=FXNewsletterLink&utm_medium=email&utm_content=23101737&utm_campaign=FXNewsJan2015

Seems to be a FXpansion/BFD partnership. Can't await a first look ;D ;D

Oh I get it....Infused.

Are these meant to go onto acoustic drums?

It look like the pad go on top of a acoustic drum set, but you will probably can use them with traditional drum Rims with hook, mount them with L Rod. stand\rack, most important, is the Module, seem to be open architecture and can imports wav with multi layers, similar to 2box, anyways this look like very nice module, I will probably buy it, and you can just to made your pad with DIY or maybe they will works with the existent market pad\cymbal which would be wise for them.

eg: Low latency ASIO / Core Audio audio I/O device built in
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/namm-2015/980931-fxpansion-bfd-export-edrum-module.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:13:41 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Sal

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
Yes that it indeed interesting. Should be a good day tomorrow.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
Here is the Official press release which told alot on the potential

The first group of products to launch under the NFUZD brand are included in the NSPIRE Series and are technically within the category of electronic drums but will utilize an approach that enables drummers to easily adapt the system to best fit their unique needs without the limits imposed by traditional e-drum systems.

The NFUZD Audio brand has been in development for four years by a team that includes an all-star roster of industrial designers, software developers, and engineers from Taiwan’s IC-based technology industry, as well as notable music-industry experts from Taiwan, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Germany.

Accomplished drummer and recording artist Russ Miller and sound engineer and e-drum developer John Emrich joined NFUZD in early 2014. KHS and the NFUZD Audio team also established a development partnership with FXpansion, creators of BFD, the market-leading VST (Virtual Studio Technology) drum sampling software. Together, the teams have developed onboard and external sample libraries with full-bandwidth, professional sound quality.

The most recent addition to the NFUZD Audio team is artist relations expert Bob Terry. Terry will be playing a lead role in NFUZD Audio artist relations, marketing, and retail training.

“As a professional musician and music producer, I’m extremely excited to finally have a system that can live up to the most demanding live performance and studio situations,” says Russ Miller. However, the best part is that we’ve designed a system with both the power and creative flexibility needed to work for the diverse needs of the market.”

NFUZD Audio is set to unveil at the January 2015 NAMM Show in Anaheim at the KHS America booth (3220). Detailed product specifications and pricing will be disclosed at that time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:33:05 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Sal

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
I guess you need to know those names to get the full effect...

EDIT: I see you highlighted some passages, but that's still light on what the thing will actually do. Either way it should be something interesting for sure!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:16:17 PM by Sal »