Author Topic: Pro X Hi Hat  (Read 6808 times)

Pro X Hi Hat
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »
Has anyone recieved the NEW Pro X Hi Hat yet ( In America ) and if so, what do you think about it ??
We Drummers prefer to use our heads !!

Offline Khes74

Re: Pro X Hi Hat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
Has anyone recieved the NEW Pro X Hi Hat yet ( In America ) and if so, what do you think about it ??
Receiving mine in two days (Canada) ... Shipped this AM :)

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
You won't find a single user review yet...

Looking fwd to a review, as of know nobody knows how much better this is than the stock one.
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Offline Khes74

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »

Looking fwd to a review, as of know nobody knows how much better this is than the stock one.

Honestly- it's probably going to be the same as the stock pads except it acts more like a hi-hat.

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »

Honestly- it's probably going to be the same as the stock pads except it acts more like a hi-hat.

Which would be preferable, right? Doesn't the stock only handle open, closed, and chick?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »

Which would be preferable, right? Doesn't the stock only handle open, closed, and chick?

The stock handles- open, closed, chick, splash, and has CC#4 for half open 1/4 open 3/4 open sounds. 

Offline Sal

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

The stock handles- open, closed, chick, splash, and has CC#4 for half open 1/4 open 3/4 open sounds.

Ah yes yes yes thank you.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »
Should have mine on Mon or Tues. it shipped here in Canada on the 20th. Picked up a new Pearl Eliminator stand today in anticipation :)

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
I am so very, very disappointed in the Pro X! They should name it Toy X.  I received mine last Thursday and had it up and running by Friday.  First of all, the manual does not instruct you on how to connect the device. I had to figure out for myself that the #1 cable would connect to the hi-hat input and the #2 cable connects to the pedal input. That's actually the good news!  When I first began to play it, the first thing I, my wife and the dog noticed, was how loud it is when striking it. It sounds like a hollow wooden box and very loud! It sounds worse than my DM10 before the mesh kit conversion. After waiting so long for this to release only to learn that it's a cheap piece of crap really upsets me. I would have rather pay twice the money for a good product than to buy something I can't use.

Offline Bones

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
I am so very, very disappointed in the Pro X! They should name it Toy X.  I received mine last Thursday and had it up and running by Friday.  First of all, the manual does not instruct you on how to connect the device. I had to figure out for myself that the #1 cable would connect to the hi-hat input and the #2 cable connects to the pedal input. That's actually the good news!  When I first began to play it, the first thing I, my wife and the dog noticed, was how loud it is when striking it. It sounds like a hollow wooden box and very loud! It sounds worse than my DM10 before the mesh kit conversion. After waiting so long for this to release only to learn that it's a cheap piece of crap really upsets me. I would have rather pay twice the money for a good product than to buy something I can't use.

Which is pretty much what I said on 09/02/14.  :o     http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4847.125
A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless to resist.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
Would it work with the original hi-hat we have from our kits as the top cymbal? I was looking at the cymbal they're using in the pics and it seems like the harder low end ones they had included with earlier versions of the DM groups, not the ones with the DM10 that has that larger pie slice of softer plastic/rubber. The one in the first pic as opposed to the one in the second pic.. seems they've chosen the cheaper/harder plastic version of cymbal for the upper..or am I wrong? (by the way, I know I used an image of the ride cymbal for the second photo but it was the easiest example to grab.. I just mean that all the cymbal pads on the DM10X are these nicer softer ones instead of the harder cheaper versions they had on earlier models)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:57:27 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Khes74

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »
Would it work with the original hi-hat we have from our kits as the top cymbal? I was looking at the cymbal they're using in the pics and it seems like the harder low end ones they had included with earlier versions of the DM groups, not the ones with the DM10 that has that larger pie slice of softer plastic/rubber. The one in the first pic as opposed to the one in the second pic.. seems they've chosen the cheaper/harder plastic version of cymbal for the upper..or am I wrong? (by the way, I know I used an image of the ride cymbal for the second photo but it was the easiest example to grab.. I just mean that all the cymbal pads on the DM10X are these nicer softer ones instead of the harder cheaper versions they had on earlier models)

The hi-hat isn't really that different- it just has a 5mm hole that actually fits the hi-hat clutch. Yes it appears to be just a 12" cymbal pad that used to or still comes with the dm10 studio kit. A 12" cymbal should fit but not as well as you think. Also those cymbals are quite heavy compared to the thin cheap ones. That being said, they are less likely to break.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »
Anyone know how well this works with MIDI?

Offline Khes74

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
It should work just as well with MIDI

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
Hello guys this is my first post on here!!!

I got them to work yeahhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy bat balls people, I finally figured this B*** out!!! First of all the little plastic piece with the spring is garbage, take it off and instead use 2 cymbal felt pads along with the little felt pad that this w**** came with. Put the 2 big ones down first on top of the bottom cymbal then your g2g. I was about ready to return this, but I got it dialed in and it works sooooo much better than the painful foot controller. I can upload pics and midi map settings plus module settings if anybody wants them. It took me about 3 hours of tinkering but to my surprise I got these to work beautifully!!!!!1 

I swear this works, please spread the word, The problem I was having was clipping of the highat cymbal and it was not consistent either open close half open or doing jack squat right! So I narrowed the problem down to the plastic piece attached to the spring, and did an easy mod. I am still in shock that this works. I will upload pictures if anybody wants to see exactly what it looks like, just leave a reply and I will post them sometime tomorrow. Cheers Amigos!

Note:
I am going through usb into cubase using Superior Drummer 2 it is Perfect, and consistent every time!

I did do the firmware update and I had to reset all settings in the module, but it was totally worth it :)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:22:57 PM by CrazyHorseMusX »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »

Holy bat balls people, I finally figured this B*** out!!! First of all the little plastic piece with the spring is garbage, take it off and instead use 2 cymbal felt pads along with the little felt pad that this w**** came with. Put the 2 big ones down first on top of the bottom cymbal then your g2g. I was about ready to return this, but I got it dialed in and it works sooooo much better than the painful foot controller. I can upload pics and midi map settings plus module settings if anybody wants them. It took me about 3 hours of tinkering but to my surprise I got these to work beautifully!!!!!1 

I swear this works, please spread the word, The problem I was having was clipping of the highat cymbal and it was consistent either open close half open or doing jack squat right! So I narrowed the problem down to the plastic piece attached to the spring, and did an easy mod. I am still in shock that this works. I will upload pictures if anybody wants to see exactly what it looks like, just leave a reply and I will post them sometime tomorrow. Cheers Amigos!

Welcome to the forum, and yes we want to see the pictures.  :)

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »

I swear this works, please spread the word, The problem I was having was clipping of the highat cymbal and it was consistent either open close half open or doing jack squat right! So I narrowed the problem down to the plastic piece attached to the spring, and did an easy mod. I am still in shock that this works. I will upload pictures if anybody wants to see exactly what it looks like, just leave a reply and I will post them sometime tomorrow. Cheers Amigos!

Welcome to the forum, and yes we want to see the pictures.  :)

Hello and thanks for the welcome!

Here they are

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
Here are the other pics

I used 2 regular sized cymbal felt pads in place of the plastic piece attached to the metal spring. The two smaller ones i used as washers for the hat fastener so that the impact was mitigated and separated the plastic from the metal, which actually helped minimize the acoustic noise by a fare amount.

I also used 2 high hat fasteners to hold down the cymbal because the one that came with the hats is S*** IMHO and would slip.

I recently purchased the High-Hat stand from amazon, I believe  DW-700 was the name, was around 53$

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
The 1st positive review! Could you post a video of it working as sweet as you describe?
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
Hmm if I have some time tomorrow, I will take a video and sync it up with a superior drummer 2 recording, that way you can see it in action and here the results. I only have an iPhone 4g so that might be fun trying to convert, I have never actually uploaded a video before, so it shouldn't be to hard I hope :)

Believe me, I was very surprised this worked, it was my last attempt before I sent this PITA back to hell where it came from lol. But it works really well, as good as I had hoped for.

Like the previous posts state, I  too was disappointed of the actual acoustic sound, because I plan on getting mesh heads to help with the acoustic levels, because my band uses my little studio for silent practices, even with gates on there mics it might bleed through. Though that really isn't an issue.

Also you could use the thicker high hat, that originally came with the kit. But I set mine up as an extra cymbal, and the Pro X hat, is to thin without its bottom piece. However with those small felt pads helping to absorb some impact on the hat fastener, It really help make it a lot more sturdy and feels pretty good now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:46:23 PM by CrazyHorseMusX »

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
Believe me, I was very surprised this worked, it was my last attempt before I sent this PITA back to hell where it came from lol.

:D
Mods:
Sounds:

Offline bmealer

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
That is awesome!  I can't wait to see video.  Thanks for posting the feedback.
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
I'm also waiting for the video. I tried it to the best of what I can see here and it didn't even come close to working. I would like to see what I'm doing wrong, or if it actually works which I hope it does.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
I just ordered mine today, and im wondering if i have to update my DM10 with the new firmware for these to work?
DM10 studio with custom DIY snare and DIY toms, DIY acrylic 12" china, custom long board double pedal. Vater drumsticks