Author Topic: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-  (Read 43158 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
This is true - I'm just saying they need to make it really simple to get great sounds if they want the product to be successful.

I agree. Hopefully Alesis has the forethought to use their Sonivox libraries. True they don't have variable hi-hat, but it wouldn't be much for a company like Alesis to fix/record new hi-hat samples. Heck, they can take them from the DM10 if they need something quick.

If I've already got a decent computer and know how to download and assign samples and use VST's, what do I need another box for?

Some don't like putting their trust at a live gig to Windows PC's. Sometimes (emphasis on Sometimes) a stand alone piece of music gear is much more stable, less prone to crashes and therefor much more desirable by many musicians.

At the same time I've hear many stories of drummers using their PC's with no problems during gigs. It's all about preference.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Some don't like putting their trust at a live gig to Windows PC's. Sometimes (emphasis on Sometimes) a stand alone piece of music gear is much more stable, less prone to crashes and therefor much more desirable by many musicians.

At the same time I've hear many stories of drummers using their PC's with no problems during gigs. It's all about preference.

I agree with that too - for playing gigs, reliability is a big issue.  I really hope the engineers over at Alesis see your suggested features and make it happen.  If not, then as TheDanimal pointed out, it may be just a new skin on an existing product.  It does look like a D4, by the way. Heh.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:19 AM »
Gonna be honest here, i am not very confidant about this, but oh well. ::) I think this is going more to be more of an adicional unit, rather than a main module. But we can only guess now. We don't even know if the inputs are single or dual zone, so like Hellfire said, i think we will know only in the later 2014.

We hope that Alesis makes it right, and let this be the module that the DMPro never achieve.
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 07:03:59 AM »
Does the lack of multiple audio outputs bother anyone else or just me?

Sample Rack $199

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSVHnC6YEG4

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »
v=WSVHnC6YEG4[/url]

It annoys me as well. But what bother's me the most is the Hi-Hat that is a switch. You only get open and closed. No realhat.

Seriously Alesis, with you is one step forward and two steps back.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
v=WSVHnC6YEG4[/url]

It annoys me as well. But what bother's me the most is the Hi-Hat that is a switch. You only get open and closed. No realhat.

Seriously Alesis, with you is one step forward and two steps back.

That's not the case here (at least input wise). The Hi-hat input on the both the Sample Pad and Sample rack has a selector switch that lets you switch between "Switch" and "Variable" type control. I attached a photo that I took from the Sample Pad video (I enlarged it and pushed the brightness up) so we can see what the text is on the two switches for the Hi-Hat and Kick inputs. As you can see Alesis did include this option. Having the actual variable hi-hat sounds in the rack might be a different story. We will just have to wait and see.

On a side note: At only $199.00 for the Sample Rack seems like a pretty good deal even if it is somewhat limited in what it can do. That is a pretty low price point, which tells me Alesis expects some users to buy multiple units to make a drum kit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:44:11 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
Well the Alesis booth guy only spoke of "switches". ::) In that case, i stand corrected, and better yet, this with a DM10 will be a blast.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
Well the Alesis booth guy only spoke of "switches". ::) In that case, i stand corrected, and better yet, this with a DM10 will be a blast.

Yes he did and if you look at that picture I posted above you will see a "FOOTSWITCH" input jack. Having a dedicated foot switch is a great idea (something the DM8/10 lacks). It should be programable so you could use it as a kit select switch.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
Found another video about the Sample Rack/Sample Pad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6m4bwY2-k

Not really much more info. I would like to learn more about their software that puts the kits together on the SD card. The guy in the video states something about making your own sounds with your favorite VST.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
I could imagine that this unknown peace of software (btw: has anyone seen the full DMDock app in action?? ;)) will collect .wav/.aiff files (maybe other formats too), link this sounds to internal kit pieces and store a kind of kit description file with this links on the SDcard over an USB connection (???or directly into the memory of the Pad/Rack??? - very unclear at the moment).

Due to the fact that most drum software have their very own algorithms to combine different velocities from different recording takes/sound files into one dynamic instrument sound with an internal audio engine, it is impossible that Alesis knows all of this "magic". So we stay at the point where you likely can store simple one-shot samples with no dynamics/layers on the card.

Man, i had stated ten thousand times that i LOVE shiny blue displays and LEDs 8) - but this one will shine without me...

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
I could imagine that this unknown peace of software (btw: has anyone seen the full DMDock app in action?? ;)) will collect .wav/.aiff files (maybe other formats too), link this sounds to internal kit pieces and store a kind of kit description file with this links on the SDcard over an USB connection (???or directly into the memory of the Pad/Rack??? - very unclear at the moment).

Point well taken.

Due to the fact that most drum software have their very own algorithms to combine different velocities from different recording takes/sound files into one dynamic instrument sound with an internal audio engine, it is impossible that Alesis knows all of this "magic". So we stay at the point where you likely can store simple one-shot samples with no dynamics/layers on the card.

Because of lack of info, I agree that chances are hi there will be no multi-layered instruments. It doesn't hurt to ask however. Don't know if this adds any extra info, but here's another video. This one states again about the software utility, and that they include the 32 GB SD card (also claim the triggering is much faster than the DM5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWdnO7cnYg

Offline vaikl

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
Because of lack of info, I agree that chances are hi there will be no multi-layered instruments. It doesn't hurt to ask however. Don't know if this adds any extra info, but here's another video. This one states again about the software utility, and that they include the 32 GB SD card (also claim the triggering is much faster than the DM5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWdnO7cnYg

Yeah, i saw the video before. 32 GB max., SDcard, hmm..., sounds like there's isn't plenty of RAM in the "brain" of both, Pad and Rack. If there *would be* enough built-in RAM, then we wouldn't need SDcards but could use the USB path to upload a higher number of sound files for 20 kits.

But if there's *not enough* RAM, then loading sounds directly from SD cards would take approx. ten times longer then from a classic HDD (SSD not mentioned here). Or you wouldn't have 20 custom kits loaded to make a complete live gig and you'll have to reload kits and sounds from card frequently. This all sounds exactly like the post about someone's bad experience with the MPX8 from AKAI.

I can't get it - who should play/work with this kind of lame "chimera"?????

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
According to this video (@ 0:36), the Alesis guy claims multi layered sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbVZZ05giM

To be honest, that could just mean mixing two or more sounds together and then uploading them as a single sound. I really wish Alesis would be more clear about these things. I saw somewhere that Alesis plans on shipping these by April. If that's the case, why no press release, why no product page? Like many of you, I'm a little hesitant about Alesis products after the whole DM10 OS 2.0 and sound sets debacle, but the Sample Rack is only $199.00 and I'm sure some of us will be able to get a 15-20% off coupon when the time comes. Maybe we (me included) are wanting too much form a cheap product?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
To be honest, that could just mean mixing two or more sounds together and then uploading them as a single sound.

Or it could mean that you could spread a single sound over all eight pads with different pitch, just like a chromatic scale. "Multi-layering" is often mis-used in this manner when talking about drum machines with trigger pads.

But yes, too many things are totally unclear and "cloudy" right now.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:52 AM »

Hope you don't mind AlanK, but I edited your post a little so the pic would be viewable. Thanks for sharing this pic. Are you at NAMM?

From the picture it looks like a mock-up and not a function product.

Hi Hellfire. I just found it on the web. May have been their facebook or some other media outlet, I forget but come to think of it, it would probably be good behaviour to note one's sources.. still learning how to be a good poster. And speaking of which, what was it that I did that didn't make it visible? (or did I simply just post the link and not the pic? I've had some other instances where I tried to upload a photo and it would say that I did but it wasn't there.. is there a lag? Might have been my browser or maybe I tried from my phone.. but when I would try a second time it would say the thread has already been posted yet I couldn't see it).

Anyhoo... I didn't have a really close look at the pic magnified, so it could very well be some prototype housing only but it looked authentic. Personally, I'm just anxious for the hi-hat coming out.

Cheers!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »
You had it as a link and not a picture. So people didn't see it when they clicked into the topic. Not a big deal. I just thought it would have more impact if users saw a picture.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
Definitely like the picture idea as opposed to a link! Glad you switched it :-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
Well, it looks as if we have an answer from Alesis (From the Alesis Support Forum by J Sandeen):

Thanks you all for your interest in taking the Sample Rack to the next level. More details will be available shortly and you will see a product page with additional information.

The fact that he states "next level" tells me there will be no multi layered velocity trigger sounds and no USB "A" port. :-[ At least that is how I read it. It was worth a shot. Who knows, maybe it can do multi layered velocity trigger sounds and I'm just reading too much into his statement.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
The fact that he states "next level" tells me there will be no multi layered velocity trigger sounds and no USB "A" port.

Yep. It's a feature not build in right now but for (maybe) coming versions. Since we all know that there aren't many new versions/upgrades for existing Alesis' edrum equipment, i would bet that Mr Sandeen again was blowing in the wind...

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
Ya, no sound on the rack, drum pad or hi hat. Probably the same team that's "working" on the DM Dock
JimmyB

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
They said in the video, 32gig SdCard came with Air Sonivox drum sound is included, and the units does not need SD cards to imports sound, you can do it via USB without SD cards, at the same time with a SD cards, you can have 20 more kits.

-Sample Pad Pro have little advantage on the triggers, 8 trigger pad + 2 pad triggers outputs + bass drum triggers output and hihat , total of 11 triggers + hihat.
-Sample Rack have 8 outputs + bass drum triggers output and hihat, total of 9 triggers + hihat.
I am wonder why the Sample Rack have 2 less triggers capabilities, should be the same.

I hope there is multilayer velocity switch and  reasonable amount of memory space for the samples.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:13:16 AM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:31 AM »
They said in the video, 32gig SdCard came with Air Sonivox drum sound is included, and the units does not need SD cards to imports sound, you can do it via USB without SD cards, at the same time with a SD cards, you can have 20 more kits.

Maybe i've misunderstood something, but for me it sounds like only the SDcard is the writeable memory on the pad/rack where you could load audio/sound files onto. As an owner of an iMac i wouldn't need that because i've a built-in SDcard reader/writer which is much faster than an USB 1.0 connection.

My next question would be: how much RAM and ROM (internal) can a single sound/audio file occupy? The limitations of the old SamplePad or the actual AKAI MPX8 are not made for sophisticated drum sound libraries.

The rest of the USB functionality is limited to MIDI action and i wonder if there will/could be an app like the DMeditor from our friend and user Corvidae, which would manage kit/instrument mappings on the pad/rack (and uploading, of course).

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »

Like vaikl, I was assuming that you could only save sounds to SD cards. I was also assuming that plugging the Sample Rack into your computer just lets the computer see the SD card. I did like hearing that Sonivox sounds will be included. I would love to know if those Sonivox sounds are velocity layered. If they are, we may need to dissect them to see how to upload velocity layered sound files (unless of course the Alesis software already allows that).

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »

Maybe i've misunderstood something, but for me it sounds like only the SDcard is the writeable memory on the pad/rack where you could load audio/sound files onto. As an owner of an iMac i wouldn't need that because i've a built-in SDcard reader/writer which is much faster than an USB 1.0 connection.

My next question would be: how much RAM and ROM (internal) can a single sound/audio file occupy? The limitations of the old SamplePad or the actual AKAI MPX8 are not made for sophisticated drum sound libraries.

The rest of the USB functionality is limited to MIDI action and i wonder if there will/could be an app like the DMeditor from our friend and user Corvidae, which would manage kit/instrument mappings on the pad/rack (and uploading, of course).

He said it include a editor to manage kits and folder, as well drag and drop sound to the pad,  look like it's similar editor to the Roland Spd-Sx editor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbVZZ05giM

He asked can you layer, he said yes, but this is not clear....(it is simultaneous layers or velocity switch layers..)
Blue Lights are on until the sample stop on the Samplepad Pro...2 sec or 3min etc. Also he said, you can do all the transmission with USB, you don't need a Sd card reader...But it came with 20 kits more with sounds...not clear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZtzTpKlsXY

The only things is clear, it is you can loop, and have a software editor, all others info are not clear or not asked, we will have to wait until official Alesis web page info.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:30:36 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »

You are correct, my fault, the USB connection is to avoid using sd card reader if you want, also using the editor stuff, but you will probably need SD cards to load or play sound and addition kits, so look like the SD cards is needed to play sample..I don't know the speed and stuff, but he said up to 32 gig.. I think the Speed and quality of the SD cards is important.

the New Roland TM-2 use SD cards up to 32 gig as well...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:52:03 PM by ChrisK »