Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!  (Read 174737 times)

Re: Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!
« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
The reason for removing the resistors is stated earlier in this thread:
 http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=131.msg23692#msg23692

Thanks Trondster! I somehow missed that. At any rate, I'm still not sure I want to remove them. I'm still playing with the settings to get rid of the slight bit of crosstalk I'm still getting. Is there really that much of an advantage to removing the PCB and resistor. Right now I have the kit sensitivity set to high and all my triggers are set between 40-45. Are there any negatives that I might run into if I keep my settings as they are?

I've also noticed others here dampening their frames. I'm considering this too.
DM10 Studio Kit, Jamdock, Semi Hellfire conversion with Z-Ed Twins mesh heads, Pearl P2002C kicks, Pro-Mark 7AW LA Specials, Evans EQ patches

« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Guys I new to the forum - ive been lurking for a while but finally registered....I am really having a hard time choosing between the HF method and the 682 Method.... basically the HF method required you to buy the foam/heads separately and the 682 method is a kit correct? I also don't understand what the cones are for??

Thanks all !

Offline Trondster

« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:03 AM »
The 682 uses cones to transfer the impact from the drum head to the sensor - the Hellfire method uses the foam from the drum to transfer the impact.

You need a very little amount of extra foam to do the Hellfire conversion - found in any hobby/craft store.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Guys I new to the forum - ive been lurking for a while but finally registered....I am really having a hard time choosing between the HF method and the 682 Method.... basically the HF method required you to buy the foam/heads separately and the 682 method is a kit correct? I also don't understand what the cones are for??

Thanks all !

I had the same dilemma when I was choosing what mesh head conversion to do. I ended up buying 682drums' mesh heads without the cones / kit and followed Hellfire's mesh head conversion without the soldering. There are many posts on dmdrummer that talk about how to go about the conversion.

I've recently shared mine in this post: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3683.0

The effect of the conversion is fantastic. The kit feels and sounds very close to an acoustic kit. I'm very happy with it + the pads are a lot quieter.
Alesis DM10 Studio 2011. Addictive Drums & Superior Drummer VST. Mesh head conversion (check it out here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3683.0)

« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
it jut seems so overwhelming !   not only am i new to electronic drums but im also new to druming.

thanks for the replys guys

Offline bobccock

« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »
cones/mesh, made cones myself and it's very good way to go

« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »
assuming money is no issue, anyone know what the best mesh head replacement for the realhead kick led light is?

hello sorry for old thread reply but I want to replace mesh head.. money is not a problem so please provide best option
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:18:29 PM by AngeloDunn »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »
hello sorry for old thread reply but I want to replace mesh head.. money is not a problem so please provide best option
The Roland heads are very durable although expensive - but any double ply mesh should be fine. I went with Roland heads myself.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Doing the upgrade on my DM10 right now. I have all the pads converted already, waiting on the new Billy Blast 3-ply heads to arrive. Also did a custom silver sparkle paint job on the shells. Will post a picture when its all done!

Offline sknick

« Reply #309 on: November 07, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
I finally made it through the entire thread.  Hopefully my eyeballs can be popped back into their sockets soon. :o

So far, I have converted my bass drum pad using the HF method. I love the feeling and response but have the sensitivity cranked up to 90. I thought that I didn't have resistors until I got to the part about the PCB on the TRS jack. I need to go back in and remove it to solve that problem.

Interesting observations about my kit. The shell that I have is plastic, not wood. I don't think it impacts anything other than the presence of 4 "alignment grooves" on the bottom of the shell that line up with ribs on the base of the trigger. Because of this, I needed to make sure the wires coming out of the bottom of the new sandwich is centered between 2 of these so they align with the hole that goes out of for the jack.

I also noticed that the white foam had cuts where it had been beet to smithereens and pressed into the ribs of the base. There was literally a hole cut all the way through the foam where the circle in the base is. This could explain why I needed to replace the piezo too. Even with a heavy foot, I don't see how the Mylar head could have flexed enough for this to happen, but apparently, it can. Oh well, I beat the guy up on price because of the dead trigger pad, and it was an easy fix. The messed up white foam also wasn't a big deal since I cut a bigger hole in it anyway.   ;D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
Can I use these heads for my DM10 Studio Kit?

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-MFH08-8-Inch-Mesh-Head/dp/B0002EKADG/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1385663703&sr=1-3&keywords=pearl+muffle+head

Yes you can, but be warned those Pearl mesh heads don't last very long. I only got about 2 months out of them before they failed. Most people find those because of how cheap they are, but there is a reason they are that cheap. They're not made to last.

« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
Do you know of any black mesh heads that will last?  I'm just curious because I'm not a huge fan of the white heads.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
Do you know of any black mesh heads that will last?  I'm just curious because I'm not a huge fan of the white heads.
Not in the States. If you're in the UK, I believe there are a couple different options.

« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm located in the US.  Thanks for responding so quickly, though.

« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2013, 12:32:12 AM »
hey guys,

I'm planning on doing the mesh conv soon. been reading many diff POVs on which heads to use, fitment ...etc. Is it safe to say 2ply all around and a 3ply for the kick? Here in the States seems like only Roland offers the 2ply.

So what is the definitive combo/formula to use? considering price, etc. Once and for all...

I'd be open to ordering from Europe is more cost effective than buying Roland's. I just checked, a 10" Roland head is like $35/ea.  :'(

Offline sknick

« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »
Finally finished the mesh conversion (pic included). What took so long? I made my own heads. Why you ask? I wanted black heads and was concerned about the durability of the pearl heads. It's very time consuming, but well worth it IMO. The other issue I ran into was the shortness of the wires on the rim piezo. They weren't even long enough to remove the TRS jack, so I cut them inside and soldered in a lengthening splice.

All in all, I'm very happy that I went with this method. Thanks HF and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
I read the entire thread.  Why can't you simply replace the Mylar heads with mesh heads?  Why the reordering of the foam sandwich and the additional foam..

Offline Trondster

« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
I read the entire thread.  Why can't you simply replace the Mylar heads with mesh heads?  Why the reordering of the foam sandwich and the additional foam..
Because the mesh heads would then rest directly on the thin foam and metal plate, and would be unable to flex and absorb the blow. The mesh needs soft foam or air underneath to work as intended.
This is why we reorder the foam.

The extra foam is to make sure the thick black foam presses up against the mesh head, and is in contact with it at all times.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:04:11 PM by Trondster »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #319 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »

Did you watch the video that is linked in the very first post of this topic? I explain in the first 68 seconds of the video why you would do this. And an even better way to see this is to view this video I did which explain how the pads are made:

Inside The Medeli DD602 Trigger Pads (Video)

That should help.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #320 on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
Sorry my bad. I always FF DIY vids until I get to the "work" portion. Makes sense though. Off to the craft store.  Thanks

« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
Well I ordered the 2ply mesh set from 682 last night. I'll put a head guard for the kick. Will Post progress and pics as it goes.

Shipping for the heads was hella cheap! $4.95 coming all the way from the NL!!!

Thx

hey guys,

I'm planning on doing the mesh conv soon. been reading many diff POVs on which heads to use, fitment ...etc. Is it safe to say 2ply all around and a 3ply for the kick? Here in the States seems like only Roland offers the 2ply.

So what is the definitive combo/formula to use? considering price, etc. Once and for all...

I'd be open to ordering from Europe is more cost effective than buying Roland's. I just checked, a 10" Roland head is like $35/ea.  :'(

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #322 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks Trondster, that's the answer I was looking for!
I've ordered the 682 kit. I plan to do one 10" with a cone ane one with the foam. Do a bit of A/B testing.

A friend of mine cured hot spots on his Roland's by adding kick beater patches over the cones. If I get hot spots on the cones I will try that also. I'll report when I have some worthwhile data...

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
Got my Pearl Muffler Heads. Going to do this tomorrow. Wish me luck. I've only had the set for a week.  ;)
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:57 AM »
I want to say thanks for the video!!!

First i did the update whitout removing the resistors.(i liked it :) )

Now i removed the resistors and its even better! Its more sensitive and it just sounds beter....

Thx hellfire an dmforum!!