Author Topic: Cymbal Help Please  (Read 1813 times)

Cymbal Help Please
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
I need any cymbal subject matter experts to help me make a cymbal that sounds great. I think I'm having a bit of trouble with midi and addictive drums is cool but no sound layering (at least to my knowledge). Any help would be greatly appreciated and this is a dm10x modded mesh nothing fancy, but b4 I jump to anything new fancy or expensive I want to say I got all I could out of what I have!

Re: Cymbal Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:36 PM »
All these years into the dm10 lifespan we have no cymal experts

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:12:22 AM »

There have been members over the years that have dedicated countless hours involving the DM10 module..tips,tricks,trigger modification,editors etc.
Hellfire has probably forgotten more about the DM10 module than most people will ever know.
After Alesis decided to take the "DM10 2.0" and license to Pearl which became known as the R.E.D.BOX and gave it the ability to load additional kits a lot of highly experienced/knowledgeable DM10 users moved on,use the DM10 with a VST or changed to different modules/companies especially with the release of modules that can "load your own samples"

Check this post..
one member (diehard DM10 user) rhysT dedicated a massive amount of time towards User Kit sharing, but there was a lack of participation because of the amount of time/work involved.
There is a template and instrument charts for 10 kits.You can manually enter the settings into the module.Cross reference the template to the instrument charts and adjust the settings in the module.
for example the cymbals...CRASH (Cr) Cr23=Sizzle...Cr30=Z AC Stk 16"..Cr4=17" DarkStik
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg42481#msg42481

If you like the kits and all he has done you can transfer all instead of manually programming.
There is a link to download everything necessary.
Follow the instructions including backing up your settings..
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg46898#msg46898

The entire post should be read thoroughly.The kit template/settings provided by rhysT will hopefully help you out.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:30:01 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:50:43 AM »
Yes thank you...
My problem has is I've been in and out of this forum so when I ask for help I'm not trying to be lazy it's just so many posts across this website. It gets a lil frustrating.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »

There have been members over the years that have dedicated countless hours involving the DM10 module..tips,tricks,trigger modification,editors etc.
Hellfire has probably forgotten more about the DM10 module than most people will ever know.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So true.

Thanks Chaser.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So true.

Thanks Chaser.

Credit where Credit is due...btw.. "Happy 10th Anniversary"
   :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:07:50 PM by Chaser »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So true.

Thanks Chaser.

Credit where Credit is due...btw.. "Happy 10th Anniversary"
   :D

Wow! 10th Anniversary. Your right. I started this website as Dmdrummer.com back in July 2009. I can't believe it's been that long already.

Without getting to far off the topic, when it comes to good cymbal sounds on the DM10, you really need to play with layers A & B. Find a cymbal the has a good attack and pair it with a cymbal that has a good decay and then adjust the decay. Make the cymbal with good Attack have a really short decay and let the decay of your second cymbal ring out. That's what I use to do with the good old DM10.

If you really want to get fancy you can play around with velocity switching on the cymbal. Here's a good topic on that subject (yes it's for the snare drum but you can do the same technique with cymbal sounds):

(DM10) THREE ZONE SNARE (with one dual zone trigger!)

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
My apologies if I came off rude I've looked through hundreds of post but I've never seen anyone discuss this by name thanks. There's so much info in this forum that I'm having trouble trying to keep up let alone take it all in!