Author Topic: Won't even connect to Mac  (Read 1031 times)

Won't even connect to Mac
« on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »
I bought DM10 used.  Not sure if this is why he sold it, but prob something on my end..

DM10 is not seen by mac (10.7.5).
However I was able to save the  "dm10info.mMon" file to the mac.  So it is connected.
I can see the DM10 in the system hardware under USB, but it is just not seen in the finder window.

I do not seem to have "midi studio".  Is that what I am missing?  Where would I get it if so?

I have tried both turning on the DM10 while holding REC button, and also just plugging it into the usb.  Neither lets me see the unit.

When I hold the rec button turning it on the display just shows a progress bar with no progress ever.

Online Chaser

Re: Won't even connect to Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
I bought DM10 used.  Not sure if this is why he sold it, but prob something on my end..

DM10 is not seen by mac (10.7.5).
However I was able to save the  "dm10info.mMon" file to the mac.  So it is connected.
I can see the DM10 in the system hardware under USB, but it is just not seen in the finder window.

I do not seem to have "midi studio".  Is that what I am missing?  Where would I get it if so?

I have tried both turning on the DM10 while holding REC button, and also just plugging it into the usb.  Neither lets me see the unit.

When I hold the rec button turning it on the display just shows a progress bar with no progress ever.

The DM10 is class compliant...since you are using an older OSX...Lion..
Mac Finder >Applications > Utilities.
The Application called ‘Audio MIDI Setup’ and double-click to open it.
the options in the left-hand column will reflect the audio devices that you have available on or connected to your system.

Here is an older article under a different Alesis product but the procedure is the same.

OSX 10.6.8-10.9.2 AUDIO MIDI SETUP

The 1st thing to do is check and make absolutely sure the module  needs updated..

On the module..
UTILITY > SYS(F4) > O/S(F3)

Final versions (Mesh Kits)..9/22/2014
Trigger OS v1.00a (Realhat) v1.01b (Pro-X)
Sound ROM v1.03
Sound 1.00s

There is some confusion in the updates..and it may be causing a problem
The 8/05/2014 has older sound OS v1.00r (7/29/2014) with new Trigger OS 1.01a dated (5/2014)..
The 9/22/2014 (Mesh Kits) update has the final sound OS 1.00s (9/11/2014) with old Trigger OS v1.00a (9/2/2009)

Trigger OS v1.01b(Pro-X) 9/8/2014 is a separate download for Mesh Kits with the Pro-X

The Mesh Kit product pages list the final Triggers OS separately..v1.00a (Realhat)and v1.01b (Pro-X)
There is no definition/info for the Trigger OS v1.01a...why it's only in the 8/05/2014 module update,..not listed separately on the product page,not included in the Mesh versions or listed separately their product pages or any other.
The Trigger OS v1.01b (Pro-X) listed separately on the page is not included in the download package.
The Trigger OS v1.00a (Realhat)listed separately on the page IS included in the download package so it doesn't make sense if it's listed separately.

I have never gotten a response from Alesis support..either The Trigger OS v1.01a was for Mesh kits with the Realhat..
or Mylar Kits with Pro-X ?...and somehow got mixed up when added to their site.
The concern is if you updated your module 8/2014 your trigger OS is v1.01a..if you then later install the Mesh Kit update from 9/2014 the Trigger OS is v1.00a which has been around since 2009 and the module does not allow downgrades and it seems users have ended up with a blank screen..or worse.

There is recent post(s) showing what a user just went through...
If you do need an update you do not have to update everything...proceed with caution.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I can see it now in Midi studio.  It is called Midi setup in Applications, then calles itself "studio" when opened, so was misleading and hard to find before...

So, what now?  Do I need separate software to do anything?
I wanted to send a track I recorded in the unit to the computer so I can email it .  I cannot find any way to send a file, or even find a file on the dm10.  I recorded on track 75.  I go to 75 and look all through and fine things to set, but no way to send.  The only "send" I see is "all memory" and things that do not look like a way to send a track.
So, How do I send a track?

I downloaded EZdrummer, and it will not open in my old mac, so I either need older software or more knowledge which is not in the dm10 book.

I am afraid if I update the module that it will be too "new" to work with old mac.

thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:33:20 AM by modolovo »

Online Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I can see it now in Midi studio.  It is called Midi setup in Applications, then calles itself "studio" when opened, so was misleading and hard to find before...

So, what now?  Do I need separate software to do anything?
I wanted to send a track I recorded in the unit to the computer so I can email it .  I cannot find any way to send a file, or even find a file on the dm10.  I recorded on track 75.  I go to 75 and look all through and fine things to set, but no way to send.  The only "send" I see is "all memory" and things that do not look like a way to send a track.
So, How do I send a track?

The DM10 USB port is MIDI only..NO AUDIO.
You can backup/load settings etc which is a syx file or send MIDI to control Vitrual Instruments/software etc or receive MIDI to use the module as a sound module.
The DM10 cannot load or record/send audio/MIDI files of any type..wav..mp3..midi etc.
In order for you to record the track to a computer you need a USB (or Firewire..your Mac is older and may still have FW ports) audio interface,connect the outputs on the back of the module and record using software.

I downloaded EZdrummer, and it will not open in my old mac, so I either need older software or more knowledge which is not in the dm10 book.

EZD2 should work as the system requirements are 10.6 and above...double check the installation guide or check with Toontrack forum/support.

EZD2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS.

4 GB of free hard disk space.
Windows 7 or newer, Pentium 4 or Athlon processor with 2 GB RAM.
Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, Intel-based Mac with 2 GB RAM.
Audio Unit, VST, AAX or RTAS host application and professional sound card recommended. Stand-alone version included.

I am afraid if I update the module that it will be too "new" to work with old mac.

thanks

The updater is for the modules internal system/triggers it will never be newer than a computer OS.
You should not consider updating unless the modules OS and Trigger OS is extremely old and you have updated to Mesh Heads..or a Pro-X Hi Hat and the module hasn't been updated.
The Pro-X and the STRIKE Hi Hat use the same bottom controller (except NEW STRIKE PRO SE).
The Pro Hat which was discontinued years ago and was single zone..while the STRIKE Hi Hat is dual zone,the DM10 is hardwired for single zone Hi Hat so you lose a zone.

EDIT:
if you don't have an audio interface you can also use the computers sound card (inputs etc depend on the machine you have) and a 1/4" to 1/8" TRS cable..a 1/8" TO 1/8" TRS cable with a headphone adapter or a  1/4" Y cable to 1/8" TRS and use the outputs on the module.
Users used this a lot if they had a laptop ..quality won't be the same as using an audio interface but you would be able to playback and get your recording/track out of the module or play live and record it.
Here is an example using the DM10 internal sounds and going from the Headphones port to a laptop using Garageband.
It starts off with recording the module directly into Garageband...then later connecting the USB and Addictive drums and using Garageband.

TUTORIAL | Recording with E-Drums | Alesis DM10 Studio Kit - YouTube
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:59:33 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »
Thanks, I will work with this new info and see how it goes...

So, in general, that recording (press red button and play button) on the DM10 head unit is just for fun, it doesnt really do anything other than play back out the headphone jack?

Online Chaser

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 02:52:30 PM »
Thanks, I will work with this new info and see how it goes...

So, in general, that recording (press red button and play button) on the DM10 head unit is just for fun, it doesnt really do anything other than play back out the headphone jack?

It's for onboard recording.
Playback can be out the headphones and the outputs on the back.
The DM10 module is an older module (2009) and like the majority of drum modules on the market,doesnt export anything.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
Thanks, I am downloading Product Manager and will try the 3 hour download of EZD again.  But the  issues was "EZDrumer2 no recognized" so does not sound like a corrupted issue, but a recognition isue.. 

Do I need to buy some midi cable to attach to the computer? I have a usb cable that will attach it.  Is there a difference if I use the midi outs vs the usb?

So, for recording, I understand it that the DM10 is really just a trigger and the software like Garage Band is the software that I will use for sounds if I want to record?  No sounds in the DM10 can be recorded except for the less-quality TRS out, and then that is not midi any longer?

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »
Also, how do I download EZD from the Product Manager?  There is no options to do any downloads from it.  I only see how to download from the website, which I did before and it failed.
Can the "demo" be downloaded through Prod Manager?

This is all PM is:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:00:27 PM by modolovo »

Online Chaser

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
Thanks, I am downloading Product Manager and will try the 3 hour download of EZD again.  But the  issues was "EZDrumer2 no recognized" so does not sound like a corrupted issue, but a recognition isue..
The free demo version of EZdrummer 2 works for ten days and comes with the Modern sound library (the full version also has a Vintage sound library).All software features are fully functional.To download the demo, you need to register a Toontrack account. You will also need an internet connection to authorize your demo.

Installing EZdrummer 2 (Mac)

Do I need to buy some midi cable to attach to the computer? I have a usb cable that will attach it.  Is there a difference if I use the midi outs vs the usb?

USB A-B cable is all you need.
5 pin has been around since MID began (1980's) and was on most if not all hardware for connecting to other hardware or interface.
USB MIDI has only been around for 20 years or so

So, for recording, I understand it that the DM10 is really just a trigger and the software like Garage Band is the software that I will use for sounds if I want to record?  No sounds in the DM10 can be recorded except for the less-quality TRS out, and then that is not midi any longer?

Garageband is a DAW...there are many.The onboard/module sounds can be recorded through the outputs same as anything that outputs audio.
TRS isn't less quality...it is balanced or Stereo...TRS is audio...not MIDI.(some of the newer hardware has 1/8" TRS MIDI)
Headphone outputs for recording are single cable TRS..while the module outputs are single TRS cable for right..and left..
Headphone outputs can be used,it's done all the time the quality may be lacking as who knows what impedance the port is on the computer you are using or the quality of the sound card...thats for you to research...an audio Interface is always best and frees up resources on the computer.
You need to spend some time learning the basics on the whole process or you are going to get discouraged and frustrated.

Online Chaser

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
Also, how do I download EZD from the Product Manager?  There is no options to do any downloads from it.  I only see how to download from the website, which I did before and it failed.
Can the "demo" be downloaded through Prod Manager?

This is all PM is:

The Product Manager is for Licensed products.
It is required for the Superior line.
I don't know how it works for Free Demos.
If the link in the previous post didn't help..contact the Toontrack support for additional assistance ...

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
I get to "step 2" on the instructions to download.  I download it while logged in, not sure if that matters for anything or not, then after it is downloaded I click on the file.  That is when I find out the file is no good.  Twice now.  I don't mind spending time to learn it all, but there is nothing to learn except the file is no good so far.
3 hours to download is a long time for things to go wrong.  The PM makes it sound like if I used that I would have way less chance to have download errors, but I still do not know how to use PM for a download.  Everything says to just download from their website. There is no way for PM to do a download at this point.

The Toon Prod Manager is of no help so far.

Yes, I contact "support" and now I wait, and wait... 

thanks for quick response.

Online Chaser

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
I get to "step 2" on the instructions to download.  I download it while logged in, not sure if that matters for anything or not, then after it is downloaded I click on the file.  That is when I find out the file is no good.  Twice now.  I don't mind spending time to learn it all, but there is nothing to learn except the file is no good so far.
3 hours to download is a long time for things to go wrong.  The PM makes it sound like if I used that I would have way less chance to have download errors, but I still do not know how to use PM for a download.  Everything says to just download from their website. There is no way for PM to do a download at this point.

The Toon Prod Manager is of no help so far.

Yes, I contact "support" and now I wait, and wait... 

thanks for quick response.

You can also check the Help section in the Forum.
It changed over time and now requires an account and a registered product to ask,post or reply to topics .
I don't know how it will respond if you own a DEMO product but you should be able to search the posts/topics.

EZdrummer Help

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »
What would be a good option other than EZdrummer?

Online Chaser

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
You can check this topic from Apple Community..it is LION era..10.7.3.
If any of the suggestions are no help then the download  is corrupted.
dmg not recognized

There are many FREE/DEMOS out there..etc but more and more are requiring a much newer system like Steven Slate SSD5.5 is FREE but requires 10.10
XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2 has a Free Trial/DEMO .
XLN uses an online installer.. Min OSX 10.7..there are limitations..

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
I thought there was a demo version, but EZD is just 10 days free, so its not a free version.  I dont think i need such software quite yet.  GB should be good enough for now.  I just need to get connected to the mac.

Guitar player suggested a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio / MIDI Interface.  I can go TRS into that and usb out to mac.
Would this work given that I cannot go direct usb into the mac?  Or would it end up the same, not seeing the dm10?

Online Chaser

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »
I thought there was a demo version, but EZD is just 10 days free, so its not a free version.  I dont think i need such software quite yet.  GB should be good enough for now.  I just need to get connected to the mac.

DEMOS/TRIALS usually have some type a restriction.. be it time, features, or function

Guitar player suggested a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio / MIDI Interface.  I can go TRS into that and usb out to mac.
Would this work given that I cannot go direct usb into the mac?  Or would it end up the same, not seeing the dm10?

When you use an interface that is what is "seen" by the DAW..you must setup the Interface in the Audio/MIDI assignments in the DAW..
If you connect the outputs of the module to the interface then it's an audio channel/input in the interface and the audio interface must be assigned in the DAW as an audio device and that input assigned to a track.

5 Pin MIDI sends MIDI...NO Device or Drive information etc.
If you aren't connecting the DM10 using USB it's not going to be identified by name or seen as "DM10".
If you connect the DM10 using 5 Pin MIDI.. the Interface will be the MIDI Device.
The Interface must be assigned as a MIDI device in the DAW and assign/match a MIDI channel in hardware (DM10) and whatever instrument you are using.
Drums are typically channel 10.
If You can connect the DM10 using USB , it will be "seen" as a MIDI device in the options in the MIDI device setup in the DAW , but you then be using 2 USB ports.
The DM10 is class compliant so there are no additional drivers.
If you have issues with it not being recognized using USB then you have no alternative other to use 5 pin if you want it to control an instrument/software.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 10:04:23 PM »
The correct answer is
Set the dm10 outputs as per instructions.

Connect usb.

Open Garage Band or something, and make a midi drum kit.  Then it should be seen by Gb.  hit play or play something and it should be played in the GB app.

The Finder window on mac will not see the dm10.

GB drum kit does not match the dm10 except bass and snare and maybe hh.  so I have work to do on software side.

thanks

Offline AlanK

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 09:20:54 AM »
there's also that Audio Midi Setup utility on the Mac, maybe you can do some configuring in there? when I open mine I see icons for my DM10, M-Audio keyboard and my Novation Key thingy.. just a thought...
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers