Equipment > Triggers and Hardware

MKii Pro snare not working/no sound from head

(1/4) > >>

Joker47:
So, I was fiddling around on my kit last night, and suddenly the snare head stopped working. That is, there was none, or VERY little sound coming from a hit. The rim worked and  sounded perfectly fine. It is just the head.
I plugged the snare cable into Tom #1, and both the head and rim worked fine.

So, suspect it’s the trigger.

My question is how to take apart the snare drum to check for loose wires, or whatever? Is there some sort of instructions on how to take apart the drum? (I’m ok looking for electrical issues) but want to try and not damage anything by taking it apart wrong.

If anyone can point to something that will help take it apart, or even just tell me how, I would be grateful. 🙂

J

Chaser:

--- Quote from: Joker47 on May 13, 2021, 09:21:36 PM ---So, I was fiddling around on my kit last night, and suddenly the snare head stopped working. That is, there was none, or VERY little sound coming from a hit. The rim worked and  sounded perfectly fine. It is just the head.
I plugged the snare cable into Tom #1, and both the head and rim worked fine.

So, suspect it’s the trigger.

My question is how to take apart the snare drum to check for loose wires, or whatever? Is there some sort of instructions on how to take apart the drum? (I’m ok looking for electrical issues) but want to try and not damage anything by taking it apart wrong.

If anyone can point to something that will help take it apart, or even just tell me how, I would be grateful.

J

--- End quote ---

The Piezo's failing have been the number one complaint I have read about the DM10 MKII Pro Kit...for some reason failing more so than others.
Check the Piezo wires first..then see if the plate is broken..
One user had quite a few fail..repair broken /failing mesh head triggers

EDIT:
The DM10 MKII Pro drums should be the same as the DM10 mesh...and be the same..easier to see in this video.

Joker47:

--- Quote from: Chaser on May 13, 2021, 10:40:58 PM ---

The DM10 MKII Pro drums should be the same as the DM10 mesh...and be the same procedure..as here

--- End quote ---

Actually, I ran across that same video just a bit ago, and went back to check it. It all seems fine, no disconnected wires that I could see. .
But, I didn’t check to see if it was cracked. Based on that video and what I’ve seen do far, I think it’s the piezo, but not sure yet if it’s broken or just “bad”.

Worst case, assuming it is bad/broken, does Alesis sell spare piezo’s? Or do we go aftermarket?

Thanks again…
J

Chaser:

--- Quote from: Joker47 on May 13, 2021, 10:50:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Chaser on May 13, 2021, 10:40:58 PM ---

The DM10 MKII Pro drums should be the same as the DM10 mesh...and be the same procedure..as here

--- End quote ---

Actually, I ran across that same video just a bit ago, and went back to check it. It all seems fine, no disconnected wires that I could see. .
But, I didn’t check to see if it was cracked. Based on that video and what I’ve seen do far, I think it’s the piezo, but not sure yet if it’s broken or just “bad”.

Worst case, assuming it is bad/broken, does Alesis sell spare piezo’s? Or do we go aftermarket?

Thanks again…
J

--- End quote ---

Pre-wired Piezos are dirt cheap...you can get them everywhere..Amazon , ebay etc.
Alesis uses either a 35mm or 27mm..double check the size usually toms are 27mm for the head and 35MM for the Rim which was dead center bottom...
also check the length of wire.
A lot of the toms/snares (mainly the snare) had the wires break off because they were too tight.The early drum pads didn't have the gaff type mesh tape to hold the wires in place so you could see easily if a wire broke off the ceramic.Thats why when the piezo was pinched in the video he just clamped it.Piezos flex..If he were to have removed the tape the wire/solder was probably broken...you will find numerous posts/topics here on it.

Joker47:

--- Quote from: Chaser on May 13, 2021, 11:05:40 PM ---

Pre-wired Piezos are dirt cheap...you can get them everywhere..Amazon , ebay etc.
Alesis uses either a 35mm or 27mm..double check the size usually toms are 27mm for the head and 35MM for the Rim which was dead center bottom...

--- End quote ---

Yessir. I just ordered some from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. Thank you.

I did take another look, and looked closer. The center piezo has a one of the wires snapped clean in half. (Almost looks like it was cut.)

Either myself or my roommate might try stripping and re-soldering the wires back together. But, there's not a lot of room to work with seeing where it broke. (Maybe 1/8" from it's solder point on the piezo itself? Just out from under the "glue".)

That all said, and assuming I just replace it, is there anyway DIY hack to make that center piezo a bit more robust? I can already see where I can add more "glue" to help secure the wires better. But, any other good ideas that someone might know of?

Regards,
J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version