Equipment > Triggers and Hardware

How to trigger two hi-hat pedals on one kit.

(1/2) > >>

JoshJ:

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and really excited and happy to be here  :)

I am buying a new Alesis Command Kit. I am setting this up to be an ambidextrous playing style. I will explain:

The Hi-hat is placed right in the middle and straight in front of me. I am playing with a double bass pedal and want a hi-hat pedal to the outside of the left kick pedal and outside the right kick pedal.

My concern is how to get the second hi-hat pedal to function correctly.

Has anyone successfully attempted this or has any ideas to get this dream of mine into reality?

Thank you all for any responses and hopefully down the road I can contribute more to the community as I learn.

Cheers!

-Josh-

Chaser:

--- Quote from: JoshJ on May 08, 2021, 06:15:11 PM ---
Hi Everyone!

I am buying a new Alesis Command Kit. I am setting this up to be an ambidextrous playing style. I will explain:

The Hi-hat is placed right in the middle and straight in front of me. I am playing with a double bass pedal and want a hi-hat pedal to the outside of the left kick pedal and outside the right kick pedal.

Has anyone successfully attempted this or has any ideas to get this dream of mine into reality?

Thank you all for any responses and hopefully down the road I can contribute more to the community as I learn.

Cheers!

-Josh-

--- End quote ---

Mid Hi Hat is more common than you may think...Mangini..Bachman etc..some drum teachers recommend it or anything that keeps you from crossing hands..
The Command Kit uses the Realhat which is a softpot pedal and since the Command uses a DB25 Harness (snake) and the Hi Hat cable is short you will need a female connector to either 2 female TS connectors then you could use standard cables to each pedal..but you may have to custom fabricate a (3) Female TS Y cable or find a TRS female to (2) TS female.
The other option simpler would be a 1/4 TS Female to (2) TS male..and get (2) 1/4 TS extender cables for the pedals...Extender cables have a male and a female end..

Hellfire:

--- Quote from: JoshJ on May 08, 2021, 06:15:11 PM ---
Hi Everyone!

Cheers!

-Josh-

--- End quote ---

That's a tough one. The issue is, you can't just split the hi-hat input and use two pedals as you will always have one pedal with the minimum resistance. Meaning the module will always see a full open hi-hat. You are going to need a physical switch between them. Your other option is to use a trigger MIDI interface (TMI) or a second Command module and program the hi-hat to function the same as your first and connect the two via MIDI.

Note: I am assuming the Command module uses a continuous hi-hat control and has a MIDI input.

Chaser:

--- Quote from: Hellfire on May 09, 2021, 08:48:22 PM ---
That's a tough one. The issue is, you can't just split the hi-hat input and use two pedals as you will always have one pedal with the minimum resistance. Meaning the module will always see a full open hi-hat. You are going to need a physical switch between them. Your other option is to use a trigger MIDI interface (TMI) or a second Command module and program the hi-hat to function the same as your first and connect the two via MIDI.

Note: I am assuming the Command module uses a continuous hi-hat control and has a MIDI input.

--- End quote ---

I just checked and can confirm that you can use 2 pedals but not full function/range...each pedal will.....splash..closed hit (pedal down)... but only get to 1/2 open...what you don't get is full open..it also depended on the Hi Hat combination sample
I used an original DM10 I have on my work desk..I have a DD650 module but I currently don't have any female adapters to wire up a Y cable

EDIT:
I forgot to mention there is no bark or chick and that the Realhat pedals used were a 90k and a 70k..I'll have to dig through inventory and find a match for one or the other.

EDIT:#2..
I found another 90k...and after Calibrating the Hi Hat.I have both pedals functioning properly...chick ,closed, full range pedal..splash.
Bark is dependent on samples/Hi Hat combination...splashes very easily

Quick Vid unprofessional video with iPhone,moving around and a loud little 9 volt amp (doesn't make for the greatest audio setup)....just open in your browser..maybe sometime I'll setup a tripod etc , but for now ..serves the purpose.

NOTE:The Command module (Medeli DD650 ) does not have a Hi Hat Calibration option...so when I get a chance I'll get a female connector but until then understand you are probably only get 1/2 open..no bark/chick

Hellfire:

--- Quote from: Chaser on May 09, 2021, 10:05:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hellfire on May 09, 2021, 08:48:22 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I just checked and can confirm that you can use 2 pedals but not full function/range...each pedal will.....splash..closed hit (pedal down)... but only get to 1/2 open...what you don't get is full open..it also depended on the Hi Hat combination sample
I used an original DM10 I have on my work desk..I have a DD650 module but I currently don't have any female adapters to wire up a Y cable

EDIT:
I forgot to mention there is no bark or chick and that the Realhat pedals used were a 90k and a 70k..I'll have to dig through inventory and find a match for one or the other.

EDIT:#2..
I found another 90k...and after Calibrating the Hi Hat.I have both pedals functioning properly...chick ,closed, full range pedal..splash.
Bark is dependent on samples/Hi Hat combination...splashes very easily

Quick Vid unprofessional video with iPhone,moving around and a loud little 9 volt amp (doesn't make for the greatest audio setup)....just open in your browser..maybe sometime I'll setup a tripod etc , but for now ..serves the purpose.

NOTE:The Command module (Medeli DD650 ) does not have a Hi Hat Calibration option...so when I get a chance I'll get a female connector but until then understand you are probably only get 1/2 open..no bark/chick

--- End quote ---

Good to know. So with matching pedals and some tweaking on a DM10 it can work. I really didn't think it would work. I know it's been about ten years since I tried this, but back then it didn't work. I don't remember which module I was using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version