Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!  (Read 174780 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
So - in short - what are the 'tweaks' HF was alluding to - or are they just settings in the module?

It can be.

Keep in mind that you will actually make the pad louder doing the HF mod with a mylar head. It will improve the feel, but at the cost of being a touch louder.

Even the recipe for the mesh conversion is not 100% for some. You will notice that some members prefer more foam inside the drum than others. My reason for say some extra tweaks is to basically cover all bases. You may not have to do anything. Some like it as is. I for instance found that you can control the sound of an HF mylar conversion a little better by adding a thin (i.e. 1/8" thick) sheet of silicone rubber just under the mylar drum head. It reduces some of the higher frequency acoustic noise coming off the trigger when hit. However, some don't think it warrants the extra cost for what little it does. All I can say is, it will work without the mesh head. What you do beyond that is up to you. I hope that helps.

P.S. Sometimes asking the source can help immensely.  ;)

Offline Trondster

« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
I thought posting in the source's thread regarding the subject _was_ asking the source.. ;)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline So-Kal

« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
I didn't PM because I thought the info in the 'public domian' might also help others and add to what is already a really good thread......

re. the noise factor - I'm fortunate that it isn't - so all I really want for now is the very best playing surface I can get - at least as good as my old acoustic kits and maybe with a bit more rebound to make up for my lack of technical skills.......  ;D

On that score, I'll thank everyone for their input and crack on with the conversion minus the mesh heads and see what happens....

I'll post my results.....  ;D
Standard DM10 - played with passion!

« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Guys, I have had a good look through this thread. I cannot find a postive answer. What is the correct thickness for the Funky Foam? or the most common thickness used? Thanks in advanced...

Offline Trondster

« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
I used two layers of 2mm foam - Hellfire used one layer of 3mm. 2-5mm is probably fine. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Giffo

« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Guys, I have had a good look through this thread. I cannot find a postive answer. What is the correct thickness for the Funky Foam? or the most common thickness used? Thanks in advanced...
I initially put two layers of 2mm funky foam but found the head sat a little high so I removed one layer. The result was fine so see what suits you.
The foam was cheap to buy anyway.

What it did highlight though was the "Tom1 issue" with the module, which wasn't really that noticable with the standard mylar heads.

That's now going back to Alesis for a warranty fix.

Good luck.
Strike Pro & DM10 Studio with mesh head conversion

« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
Thanks guys, have just sourced a load of 2mm Funky Foam.

« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
Hi all, I am new to the forum and am seeking your wisdom.
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I am wondering if anyone that has performed the HellFire upgrade has tried replacing the stock Alesis Piezo plate with a home made one that doesn't have the plastic balancing disc on the back and if they have, did it make any difference to sensitivity and hot spotting?

Thank you for any and all answers

Cheers !

Offline Trondster

« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
The resonator plate _is_ the plastic plate. The point is to let the plastic plate vibrate and let the piezo detect that vibration.

Offline So-Kal

« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
OK - a few updates to my conversion.

I've done the mesh heads on the snare and tom1 (using v. cheap heads from the Birmingham Drum Centre (in the UK) - which, it seems, is closing down....)

Anyway, a few things I've found so far......

On the snare, having the resonating plate 'hanging' in a hole created by a 'doughnut' of white foam really didn't work for me, as the triggering was a touch hit and miss. I ended up refilling the 'doughnut' with the piece I'd cut out and the triggering is far more consistant.

I HAVE to get rid of the PCB/resistor thing, as I've had to crank the sensitivity right up - I need to double check the connections, but it really is a neccesity if you're burying the piezo and plate so deep in the mix......

Also, the overall xtalk and 'feel' now needs some tweaking to get it back where it was in terms of consistant triggering, but the trade-off with the superior 'feel' is well worth the extra effort.....

Overall, the playability of the mesh heads with the rearranged foam is like night and day - the rebound is like a super-tight acoustic head and allows for some pretty lazy techniques to sound far better than they should!

If anyone has any definitive wiring diagrams and info re. the PCB (rather than the old fashioned resistor) conversion, I'd be grateful to see them, as I really haven't got a clue about electronics......

Offline Trondster

« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »
Just remove the entire PCB.

The wiring is on the page Hellfire links to in the first post:

Offline So-Kal

« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:44 AM »
Cheers matey - actually saw that piccy after I'd posted.....going to give it a go later........ ;)

Offline Trondster

« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2012, 04:59:01 AM »
See my signature for pictures of a conversion, including removing the resistors. :)

« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
Attempted the mesh head conversion and it sounds awful. Tried it on two 8 inch toms.
They don't trigger well when hitting the pads, need to be hit really hard to trigger the sounds and the crosstalk from the rims  when doing rolls is really bad.
The pads are dual zone.
I didn't solder or remove resistors because there aren't any.
Or at least I don't think there are. It looks like there is a small PCB attached to the input jack, maybe the resistors are attached to it?
Here's a pic.

I tried one pad with a CD sized hole in the white foam and one without cutting a hole in the white foam, but it made little difference.

From top to bottom the layers are:

Mesh Head ( 682drums )
Dark grey foam ( small hole in middle - it was like this - I didn't cut it )
Metal plate with piezo
White foam
3mm neoprene foam disk ( from mouse mat )

I would prefer to sort out my problems before messing around with the other pads. Anyone able to help?

Offline bobccock

« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »
elcottero, do the mesh/cone conversion, it's simple and it works perfectly.

Offline bobccock

« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
no soldering, no metal plate, no crosstalking

« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
elcottero, do the mesh/cone conversion, it's simple and it works perfectly.

I assume you mean the 682DrumS "cones and cartons".

I have read elsewhere on the forum that they are unnecessary and that the HF method works better, which is why I tried using the HF method.

Although I did not use any unsoldering and resoldering of the wires to the piezo. I assumed that there aren't any resistors in my pads but I now think they are attached to the small PCB as shown on the pics in my previous post.

If I can't solve my issues I think I will try the "cone and cartons" method.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
Have you tried changing the trigger settings? You probably need to readjust the sensitivity of the head, and you should go over the threshold and xtalk settings as well.
For a true Hellfire conversion, the resistors (and PCB) should be removed.

« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
my guess is the hole in black foam

for my conversion all my pads had holes in the black foam so I bought new foam and I haven't had any problems
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Offline bobccock

« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »
I made cones and carton myself...

Offline Trondster

« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
All my black foam had holes - no problems. Hellfire also states this in the video.

« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
my guess is the hole in black foam

for my conversion all my pads had holes in the black foam so I bought new foam and I haven't had any problems

Yes that does seem to have been the problem.
I filled the hole in with a piece of an exercise mat cut to shape and that solved the triggering and crosstalk problem, but there was still more noise than I hoped from striking the pad.

So, I took that back out and then I filled the hole with a piece of a baby bath sponge cut to shape.
This worked great, no triggering and crosstalk problems and a big reduction in noise from striking the pads.

Just need to find a supplier of 15mm foam sheets now and I can complete the conversion.

« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Having had success after many trial and errors I thought I would post how I achieved my conversion.
I am not saying that my method is right and others are wrong, this is DIY, you do what suits you. As always there is no guarantee that my method will work for anyone else.

My conversion now goes like this.

I open up the drum.
I take everything out except the white foam - I leave that where it is.
I replace the black foam with the same shaped piece of 10mm exercise mat foam ( including cutting the hole in the middle )
I then replace the resonator plate.
I then place the black foam on top. ( with the bath sponge to fill in the hole at the moment )
Put on the mesh head and tighten it all up.

Done. No removing or replacing wires or soldering.

I will post pics when I manage to get the foam sheets to do a full conversion on all the pads.

« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2012, 01:28:42 AM »
New guy here. Just want to say thanks to Hellfire for the conversion video. Sold me on the Alesis kit. Got my kit less than a month ago. Ordered Z-Ed (2-ply) heads from Drum Wright ltd. in the UK and did the deed. I love the expression I can get out of this kit now. I only did 2 things different. 1, I used a 1 inch thick piece of dense packing foam on the bottom instead of the thin hobby foam. This made the black and white foam compress a little giving me a slight bit more rebound. 2, I cut a piece of the scrap (CD sized cut-out) white foam  to fill the hole in the black foam. Makes the heads look cool to me, lol. Only thing I didn't do is remove the PCB and resistor. I didn't quite understand why that is necessary. If someone can give me a reason to, I can do that as well. Thanks again Hellfire!
DM10 Studio Kit, Jamdock, Semi Hellfire conversion with Z-Ed Twins mesh heads, Pearl P2002C kicks, Pro-Mark 7AW LA Specials, Evans EQ patches

Offline Trondster

« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:46 AM »
The reason for removing the resistors is stated earlier in this thread:
 http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=131.msg23692#msg23692