Author Topic: Alesis Realhead OR Roland PD 80???  (Read 10567 times)

Alesis Realhead OR Roland PD 80???
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:32 AM »
I need help! I want to buy new toms to replace the toms that I have on my DM6... What do you think is better, Alesis Realheads 8" or Rolands PD 80?

I want them to feel as close to a real tom as possible...

Re: Alesis Realhead OR Roland PD 80???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »
What do you think is better, Alesis Realheads 8" or Rolands PD 80?

I want them to feel as close to a real tom as possible...
Very debatable. The Alesis pads are louder, but the rebound is more natural. The PD 80 is pretty quiet, but more bouncy off the stick.

To my tin ears, the PD 80 seems more sensitive--but that might have been more the function of the Roland module rather than the pad--and sensitivity is more of a snare concern than a tom concern. The PD 80 is also about twice the cost of the Alesis pad.

The pads definately feel slightly different, but I don't think there is a clear winner between the two.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:18 AM »
I don't know much about roland, but are these toms Dual Zone?   If so, it may be overkill, as I thought only the snare is dual zone on the DM6.

PD80's 8" or 6"? 

For me, I'd go with Alesis, then convert the head to mesh  (roland mesh).   But then again, if all things are equal, why not just start with roland?

I think their piezo assembly is different (cone, right?).   If so, it may not work well with the DM6 and it's limited adjustable settings.

my two cents...

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
Well... thank you for your replies...

Just some info...

• I found both pads at the same price
  • Both are 8"
  • The Roland pads are single zone and the Alesis dual zone
  • I am using the trigger IO and not the DM6 module

My main concern is the feel of the pad... I started with a DM6 but now... well I am slowly building a great kit (surge cymbals, trigger IO, mesh head dual zone snare etc)... So this is the next step, replacing the toms...

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
Well... thank you for your replies...

Just some info...

• I found both pads at the same price
  • Both are 8"
  • The Roland pads are single zone and the Alesis dual zone
  • I am using the trigger IO and not the DM6 module

My main concern is the feel of the pad... I started with a DM6 but now... well I am slowly building a great kit (surge cymbals, trigger IO, mesh head dual zone snare etc)... So this is the next step, replacing the toms...
Don't use a dual zone Roland trigger with your Trigger I/O. They don't work well together. There is a couple reasons for that. One, Roland wires the head piezo backwards of the rim piezo. That cause problems for the Trigger I/O. Two the Roland pads will be way too hot (meaning sensitive) when used with the Trigger I/O (even at the Trigger I/O's lowest setting). This is because I believe (ie I don't know for sure) the Trigger I/O was not designed with the Roland cone set-up in mind.  I know this because I have tried these myself. Now I didn't use a PD-80 but I didn't test with a drum that was made to Roland specs and it didn't work all that well. I would go with the Alesis pad and if you really want mesh, convert it yourself.

Please keep in mind that and modification to any off the self product will void its warranty. I don't know why but more and more people are shocked that tearing apart a commercial product will void its warranty.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
I ordered two Alesis realhead 8 inch pads and an Alesis realhat to replace the toms and pedal from my DM6... Was it a good buy? It was either that or two Roland PD-80 single zone pads... Am I going to feel any improvement from my previous toms and hi hat pedal...?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
I ordered two Alesis realhead 8 inch pads and an Alesis realhat to replace the toms and pedal from my DM6... Was it a good buy? It was either that or two Roland PD-80 single zone pads... Am I going to feel any improvement from my previous toms and hi hat pedal...?
I don't think the realhat is compatible with the DM6. At least as a hi-hat controller. I know it can be used as a bass trigger/pedal. You might want to call Alesis and confirm that. The module has to have variable hi-hat built in, in order for a continuous hi-hat controller to work. I think the DM6 is switch only. Again, you might want to contact Alesis to verify this.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
I started with a DM6 but now... well I am slowly building a great kit (surge cymbals, trigger IO, mesh head dual zone snare etc)... So this is the next step, replacing the toms...

I am NOT using the DM6 module (I sold it)! I am using trigger IO.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:48:18 PM by skalos »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
I started with a DM6 but now... well I am slowly building a great kit (surge cymbals, trigger IO, mesh head dual zone snare etc)... So this is the next step, replacing the toms...

I am NOT using the DM6 module (I sold it)! I am using trigger IO.
Never mind then. Sorry I missed that. Too many messages I guess. :P

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:19 AM »
Yes, way to many messages...  ;D

But I want your opinion on this hellfire...

I also watched your pad upgrade video... what do I gain if I change the mylar to mesh? (as I said earlier I dont care about the noise levels, but I want a natural feel on the pads)

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »
Going strictly on feel (noise is not an issue), I'd say the realhead pad is more authentic.
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
Going strictly on feel (noise is not an issue), I'd say the realhead pad is more authentic.

I never really cranked down the mylar to get the 'real' head feel.  I have cranked down Billy Blast mesh heads; and the Roland mesh head.  The difference is dramatic; and I can say, I think the roland mesh is the most responsive and realistic.   

With the mylar, there's a dense foam behind the head, and it will get lumpy.  If you decide on using the mylar head, I'd suggest changing the order of the foam components (as if you're doing a mesh conversion).

Furthermore, if you purchased the Alesis heads and decided to try mesh, you could do the conversion; where as with the roland, I'm not sure if you could add a 8" remo head....  I'm sure you could, but it may be accoustically loud, as there is no real amount of foam against the head, muting it.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes, way to many messages...  ;D

But I want your opinion on this hellfire...

I also watched your pad upgrade video... what do I gain if I change the mylar to mesh? (as I said earlier I dont care about the noise levels, but I want a natural feel on the pads)
You can still do the pad upgrade but keep using the mylar head. Even though the Alesis pad is the closest to a acoustic drum, it still lacks the proper rebound. That is because of how high up the reflection plate is in the trigger. By doing the upgrading (using a mylar) you will get a more natural rebound. It will get a little louder but not much. I hope that helps.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
By doing the upgrading (using a mylar) you will get a more natural rebound. It will get a little louder but not much. I hope that helps.

Wow, thats great... Do you know if I can re-arrange the foams inside the pad without unsoldering the piezos...?

Furthermore, if you purchased the Alesis heads and decided to try mesh, you could do the conversion; where as with the roland, I'm not sure if you could add a 8" remo head.... 

If I do the conversion can I add a normal drum head to the pad, for more natural feel? Am I going to have problems with the piezo??

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »
By doing the upgrading (using a mylar) you will get a more natural rebound. It will get a little louder but not much. I hope that helps.

Wow, thats great... Do you know if I can re-arrange the foams inside the pad without unsoldering the piezos...?

Yes.  I discussed this in the DIY thread.  Just cut the foam, and then use spray adhesive to glue back together.  That's what I did and it works fine.

Furthermore, if you purchased the Alesis heads and decided to try mesh, you could do the conversion; where as with the roland, I'm not sure if you could add a 8" remo head.... 

If I do the conversion can I add a normal drum head to the pad, for more natural feel? Am I going to have problems with the piezo??

The Mylar head is the same as a real drum head.  Natural feel comes from what's underneath the head, in my opinion.  For example, on the roland, the use a Cone under the mesh head.  Should you change that to a mylar head, it'll probably work find, BUT it will be accoustically loud as there's not enough foam to mute the head.   On the Alesis head, that's not an issue, as they use a relfection plate piezo design, where foam rests against the entire drum head... mesh, or mylar, or whatever. 

Make sense?

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Thank you everybody!!!! You are all great!  :)

I was worried that I was wrong to buy the alesis realheads...

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »
Well the first Alesis Realhead pad and the realhat came.... I havent tested yet BUT... the package of the pad states: "comes with a rack clamp, L-arm, and cable" and mine came with just the L-arm...

And its brand new from an official Alesis distributor!!!! Any advice?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
Well the first Alesis Realhead pad and the realhat came.... I havent tested yet BUT... the package of the pad states: "comes with a rack clamp, L-arm, and cable" and mine came with just the L-arm...

And its brand new from an official Alesis distributor!!!! Any advice?
Yes, call the distributor and tell them what happen. They may ask you to send it back or they may send you the missing parts. If that doesn't work you can always contact Alesis directly but, I would try the distributor first.