Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183097 times)

Online Hellfire

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #1450 on: July 15, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
So…

Am I the only one that has noticed that the 3 crash cymbals actually have a switch sensor on the bell and the bell triggers the edge sound. So the edge and bell are seen by the module as the same zone. That's very interesting. It's almost as if Alesis was planing on making the crash cymbals 3 zone triggers instead of 2.

I guess I'm the only one that's noticed what is stated above?

The Alesis Strike's 2 zone crash cymbals are really 3 zone cymbals! For Medeli modules.  ;)

After some testing I found the dual zone crash cymbals from the Strike actually work as triple zone ride cymbals on Medeli modules (bell, bow, and edge plus choke). They only work as dual zone on the Strike because the Strike employs the two TRS cable set-up for triple zone operation. On a Medeli module like the Crimson (or older Simmons SD1000) the triple zone ride input only requires a single TRS cable connection. I'm guessing that Alesis plans on using the Strike crash cymbals as three zone ride cymbals later on for their more affordable line of edrums (like Crimson, Forge, & Nitro).

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #1451 on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
So Helfire, this is basically like the 2Box, where the cymbals are all triple zone!!!

Waw Alesis just stepped up their game big time with this.
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Online Hellfire

« Reply #1452 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
So Helfire, this is basically like the 2Box, where the cymbals are all triple zone!!!

Waw Alesis just stepped up their game big time with this.

Not really. Remember the Strike CAN NOT use the crash cymbals as three zone. The Strike employs two TRS cable 3 zone compatibility (Like Roland) for the ride cymbal only (that is the only 3 zone trigger on the Strike). So the third zone of the crash cymbals on the Strike is useless. The Strike just sees the bell and edge as the same zone on the crash cymbals (meaning you get the same sound for edge and bell). That's because the Strike isn't designed to use single TRS cable 3 zone compatible cymbals.

I'm basically trying to point out that Alesis most likely planned on using these cymbals for more than just the Strike kit. They most likely are planing to use these cymbals on their more affordable Medeli based modules (Like Crimson, Forge, Nitro). Medeli modules do use  the single TRS cable 3 zone set-up. Just look at the KAT KT4 (all of its cymbals use one cable for three zone operation) and the KAT KT4 is a Medeli based module.

No the Strike does not see the bell of the crash cymbals as separate zones and No you can not assign a different sound to the bell and edge of the crash cymbal (again, because the Strike CAN NOT use single cable 3 zone triggering).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:46:33 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #1453 on: July 16, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
If the quality and durability of these cymbals turns out to be much improved over the Medeli pads, then a DM10 MK2 Pro kit using these would interest me.

« Reply #1454 on: July 19, 2017, 03:42:15 AM »
Finally, I made good progress in the configuration of the Strike. I installed the latest firmware (V 1.2), I fine-tuned the hi-hat under the hardware aspect and its soft settings and it now meets well to my expectation. I asked at http://community.alesis.com if a translation of the documentation and software in languages other than English was planned and I was told no. It is very regrettable.
For now, the balance is positive and I am pleased with my acquisition.
I still have some criticisms to make on the cymbals which still have a good margin of progress but it remains properly playable.
I expect that Alesis will continue to advance its software and everything will be fine.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:04:32 AM by Altau »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1455 on: July 29, 2017, 12:46:24 AM »
The truth finally out, Tim root joint Alesis in 2015 when strike was in development, Tim Root force it to show at winter namm without the anticipating the departure of the sound designer and trigger designer, leaved for others works opportunity during strike development, like they did in the past, some people leaved development with dm10 I think Helfire reported, this was all the delay again.

Page 8
http://en.calameo.com/read/0043053101c18d3a850ca
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:23:44 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #1456 on: July 30, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »
The truth finally out, Tim root joint Alesis in 2015 when strike was in development, Tim Root force it to show at winter namm without the anticipating the departure of the sound designer and trigger designer, leaved for others works opportunity during strike development, like they did in the past, some people leaved development with dm10 I think Helfire reported, this was all the delay again.

Page 8
http://en.calameo.com/read/0043053101c18d3a850ca
This was actually made public a couple of months ago to Digital Drummer email subscribers (I recommend it highly). But I'm not hearing much feedback from users, and virtually no impartial 3rd party reviews. What would best describe the "state" of the Strike launch now? Is it just too early to draw conclusions?

« Reply #1457 on: August 02, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
I finally gave in and ordered my strike pro from a retailler in Canada. I still love my DM10 but was looking for some fancier stuff... hope it will be worth it ! I'll keep you posted on my feeling toward this new kit.

« Reply #1458 on: August 09, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »
Going cross eyed from reading all the pages on my phone, but where can we find 2ply mesh head replacements in the USA for DM10X mesh kit? I can only find 1ply. Does Alesis even sell the heads by themselves?
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Offline Chaser

« Reply #1459 on: August 09, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
Going cross eyed from reading all the pages on my phone, but where can we find 2ply mesh head replacements in the USA for DM10X mesh kit? I can only find 1ply. Does Alesis even sell the heads by themselves?

2 Ply mesh heads weren't available because of Roland's Patent..which expired in July..You'll start seeing more and more of them being offered.
Billy Blast  has started selling his again
http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator.com/items/Mesh-Heads~Muffs/list.htmr

2 Ply mesh heads are all over ebay now..including an inventory of "New" Hart Dynamics KS (Kontrol Screen) ..which must have been stashed for years..(2010)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=2+ply+mesh+heads&_sacat=619

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:12:43 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #1460 on: August 10, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Drum-tec compared the Mimic Pro, TD-50, and Strike modules. To me, the Mimic is the best of the three which is not a big surprise, but the Strike held its own here. The sounds should only get better as custom kits are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnQ_zLc3VU

« Reply #1461 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
Drum-tec compared the Mimic Pro, TD-50, and Strike modules. To me, the Mimic is the best of the three which is not a big surprise, but the Strike held its own here. The sounds should only get better as custom kits are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnQ_zLc3VU
Very informative video.  Thanks!  Nothing quite like actually hearing them in action!

I really dig the Pearl, followed by the Roland, and then the Alesis.  Using a 1 to 10 scale (10 being the best), I'd rate them 10, 7, and 3 respectively.  The sounds of the Strike module sound dated next to the other two.  The hi-hat expressiveness and cymbal decay especially poor in comparison.

Hopefully some artist kits will become available for the Alesis in order to make it more competitive.  As it stands now from what I've heard, it isn't ready for the big leagues just yet.

Just my opinion.

« Reply #1462 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »

2 Ply mesh heads weren't available because of Roland's Patent..which expired in July..You'll start seeing more and more of them being offered.
Billy Blast  has started selling his again
http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator.com/items/Mesh-Heads~Muffs/list.htmr

2 Ply mesh heads are all over ebay now..including an inventory of "New" Hart Dynamics KS (Kontrol Screen) ..which must have been stashed for years..(2010)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=2+ply+mesh+heads&_sacat=619

You are the best! Thx

Do you happen to know if Alesis sells mesh head replacements for thier mesh kits?

DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

« Reply #1463 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »
 8)
I just received my Strike Pro kit a few days ago.  Got an awesome deal emailing Sweetwater and working with Adam Vaughn.  They even made sure the module was updated so it's got everything available as of mid-August in terms of software. I've got a Trick Black Widow double bass pedal and remote hi-hat stand on order from Amazon.   So far, I LOVE this kit....it'll be countless hours of searching, testing, and tweaking before I ever make a dent in the module.  I'm really going to have to look back through to see how others have manipulated their sounds and I think I recall someone sorta had it figured out pretty well, so I'll be searching for that post(s).   I have to say, after all of the drama to bring this product to market, it's very very well made - almost shockingly good from my initial thoughts.
Hope folks put up some videos showing how best to tune in some of these settings...

« Reply #1464 on: August 21, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
Looks like Alesis is starting to put some videos up on how to use the Strike module.  One being the editor and how it can automap user samples for velocity ranges - with multiple samples allowed for a single velocity range.  This is not something I have ever done.  Would importing your own samples be relatively easy with this?  I don't have access to high quality samples either, which makes it a bit harder. But if someone does, I imagine good quality user kits could be released somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7zj1yLVQg

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1465 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:26 AM »
Would importing your own samples be relatively easy with this?  I don't have access to high quality samples either, which makes it a bit harder. But if someone does, I imagine good quality user kits could be released somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7zj1yLVQg

it easier, but you cannot share 3rd party library online, there is license\ copyrights, only if it's your own recording is allowed.

« Reply #1466 on: August 30, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
It looks like you can use 3rd party sounds (such as addictive drums) as samples in the module using the editor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWYuBCrcQk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:05:02 AM by bluemx »

« Reply #1467 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
Still waiting for my Strike pro to be delivered, should be tomorrow !  8)

I have one question, since the Pro seems to take all the input of the module, is there a way to use a splitter on an input, like let say the bass drum, to use the second channel to add a splash.
With my DM-10 I use to have a Trigger I/O to do so but I sold it since I read somewhere that it didn't work with the strike.

Anyway, if the splitter option is achievable, It would be fine, but Since all the cymbals are dual, I guess that it would only leave me with one additional input on the kick.

Thanks.

« Reply #1468 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
For those who have not noticed, a new firmware was released on November 20, 2017: V 1.3
I have not tested yet but improvements have been made to hi-hat. And two new kits have been added.

There is also a new version of the editor: V 1.1.1

Offline cleverest

« Reply #1469 on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
Still waiting for my Strike pro to be delivered, should be tomorrow !  8)

I have one question, since the Pro seems to take all the input of the module, is there a way to use a splitter on an input, like let say the bass drum, to use the second channel to add a splash.
With my DM-10 I use to have a Trigger I/O to do so but I sold it since I read somewhere that it didn't work with the strike.

Anyway, if the splitter option is achievable, It would be fine, but Since all the cymbals are dual, I guess that it would only leave me with one additional input on the kick.

Thanks.

Did you ever get an answer to this? I would like to do the same with the kick if possible.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1470 on: November 27, 2019, 03:47:50 AM »
There is update to 1.5, no info on what fixed\changed. Look like fix and added 5 new kit.

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/strike-kit
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:13:50 AM by ChrisK »