Author Topic: Command X Mesh LEFTY mode ?  (Read 1935 times)

Command X Mesh LEFTY mode ?
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:29:13 AM »
i bought a new Command X Mesh and want to switch between left and right hand mode (i have two kids, one is left handed and other right handed)

The command module has a "lefty" mode, but when I select it, nothing happens?

the manual states this mode would reverse the pads and cymbals, but nothing happens.. snare stays snare, toms stay toms and cymbals stay the same..

Does anyone have any experience with the command module in lefty mode ?

I contacted Alesis customer support last week, but its been nothin but crickets and have not gotten any response from them..  :o

Offline AlanK

Re: Command X Mesh LEFTY mode ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Seems to me a lefty mode would be a bit moot.. I mean, wouldn't you simply set up the kit the way you feel comfortable and each pad/cymbal will still be the same trigger and voice, you'd just set the frame the way it works for you and put the pads up in reverse going from right to left?

Am I missing something?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:46:32 PM »
He has 2 kids.. one left handed..one right handed and wants to be able to "switch on the fly".
The main issue will be the cables are too short (DB25 harness) so the module either has to be on the left or the right for the snare/Hi hat/hi hat pedal so it will never be a true left or right handed switch.
It would probably be easier just to program user kits left or right handed...the Command is mostly single zone..probably less than 5 minutes a kit then save it.

EDIT:
I just checked/setup a Crimson module (same module rebranded DD650..just different firmware) and Lefty mode does not work on it either.
Cymbals and Toms do not exchange.(This option is also listed in the DD650 manual ..under Utility.. L and R exchange..)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:29:05 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »
I figured out what Alesis means by "lefty mode"

they dont actually switch the pads/inputs on the fly, all that lefty mode does is play the "sound" via stereo output on either left or right.

i.e. if you setup the cable harness and the entire rack left handed and you connect stereo monitors or headphones the crash2 and high-hat sounds will still be opposite where you are hitting.

That "lefty" setting will just reverse the stereo sound output channels..  it has nothing to do with  the actual pads or inputs..  BUMMER..

SO - I suspect I would need to build up some manual way with either extension interconnects running between the pads/symbals to flip between them or build some DB25 switch.

@AlanK - thanks for the welcome!  Yes, the DB25 snake has the TRS cable lengths fixed for either permanent right or left handed setup, you cant really change it on the fly.

@Chaser - I looked at the kits and be more than happy to edit them and save to USB, but for the life of me could not figure out how to chance the pads to be opposite.

i.e. i could not setup crash2 to be a high-hat and respond to high-hat pedal and I could not setup Tom3 to be a Snare and the Snare to be a Tom3 with corresponding rims, etc?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
have one of your kids play in the mirror?  ;-)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
have one of your kids play in the mirror?  ;-)

lol

@Chaser - I looked at the kits and be more than happy to edit them and save to USB, but for the life of me could not figure out how to chance the pads to be opposite.
i.e. i could not setup crash2 to be a high-hat and respond to high-hat pedal and I could not setup Tom3 to be a Snare and the Snare to be a Tom3 with corresponding rims, etc?

The Hi Hat (combinations) are locked to the Hi Hat input and the HH controller/pedal input which is why I listed as an issue (short cables).
There are Hi hat samples other than the combinations that can be assigned.
See this topic https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8386.msg53645#msg53645

The Command X Kit has rubber toms instead of mesh  but they should still be dual zone.
I sold off the Command module after I was done testing but kept the Command kit itself ..same setup as the X..just Black instead of Red and everything works fine with a Crimson module.
One of the few kits with rubber pads I like,..9" and 11" dual zone are hard to find.
If you go into Voice ..strike a zone..the voice should change.
You could try the mesh snare in another input(tom 1,2..etc) to check and see if the rubber pad(s) have a pad rim
I just checked all mine in the Crimson and no problem assigning a snare to Tom 3..Head=028..Rim=029

The Command cymbals are single zone..the ride is single w/choke..Rides (multi-zone) are usually locked to an input also.
The Command module can't use a single cable/ 3 zone/ride..like the Crimson/Crimson II/DM10 MKII Studio and there is no bell Voice or zone (firmware limitation) which was my main reason for selling the module.
All these modules look the same , but there are differences.

EDIT:
One thing you could consider is to run extension cables (3)..
(2) along the top rack tube from the hi hat to the ride so that 1 male end and 1 female end are at each
and one from the hi hat controller to the other side for the pedal.You could just run this on the ground or run along the rack also.

You would need (2) MALE TO FEMALE..1/4" (6.35mm) TRS..and (1) TS for the Hi Hat pedal
Then just unplug/plug when you want to switch from Left to Right Handed.
The cymbals are all the same size,except the ride has a choke so you would swap that with the hihat.

TRS MALE TO FEMALE EXTENSION CABLES
TS MALE TO FEMALE EXTENSION CABLES
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:27:22 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
@chaser - thanks for the link to extension, i had a hard time finding stereo (TRS) cables. 

I have the new command x "mesh", so all the pads are mesh. The command X also comes with a 4th cymbal (crash2) and all the cymbals have choke with except high-hat. so every input is TRS with exception of the pedals (kick drum & high hat)

I think the best and easiest option is extension cords...  I might look at building a 9 channel electronic audio switch so i can switch between L/R with a push of a button..

This is a GREAT forum, btw.. so happy I stumbled onto this!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 11:28:02 AM »
@chaser - thanks for the link to extension, i had a hard time finding stereo (TRS) cables. 

I have the new command x "mesh", so all the pads are mesh. The command X also comes with a 4th cymbal (crash2) and all the cymbals have choke with except high-hat. so every input is TRS with exception of the pedals (kick drum & high hat)

I think the best and easiest option is extension cords...  I might look at building a 9 channel electronic audio switch so i can switch between L/R with a push of a button..

This is a GREAT forum, btw.. so happy I stumbled onto this!

No problem..I was trying to find one company that carried both in different lengths , but for some reason they carry one or the other.

As far as the Command X Mesh..do you have any links for reference?
I only show 3 Command Kits with the X being a Guitar Center Edition.
There is no Command X Mesh listed at Alesis under kits or the Knowledge base,but that wouldn't be the first time as the Command X itself isn't listed at Alesis under kits , but is under the Knowledge base.
This way the Forum has something for a reference if there are 4 Command kits in case others are looking also and prevents confusion/misinformation as I posted info above for the Command X having rubber pads etc..but yours has mesh and additional (4th) cymbal
There is already plenty of confusion when it comes to the DM10 with 7 versions and everyone referring to just "DM10" when asking a question.

COMMAND

COMMAND X

COMMAND MESH

COMMAND X MESH

EDIT:
I found it..it is indeed another Guitar Center Edition..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:21:08 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:43 AM »
They also sell them online at "Musicians Friend".

But I indeed picked mine up at Guitar Center.  Its a pretty sweet setup and they matched online price and gave me additional few freebies.

I bought a few DB25 connectors and will be soldering a cross-over "dongle" to convert the kit to lefty-mode inline (pin outputs are on this forum too!) and Also bought a snare stand to make the snare easier to move around..

So then all I need to do to flip between left and right is to put that dongle inline. swap pedals, move tom3 over and scoot snare to the right.

I'll post some pics and results when I have it done.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 04:00:33 AM »
Lefty mode dongle complete! :)

Now I can switch between left and right handed drummer mode by simply connecting a DB25 dongle and flipping pedals and snare/tom3

I used the DB25 pinouts on this forum, but the pin numbers are non-standard, so I re-tested them all.

Everything works!!

I 3D printed a perfect match for the Alesis cable snake plug too :)

Attached is my pin-out diagram and the DB25 plug cover design.