Author Topic: Command Mesh kit snare issues  (Read 1587 times)

Command Mesh kit snare issues
« on: January 26, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
Hey guys, hope I put this in the right spot, I'm new to the forum!

So after a few weeks of trying to get a hold of Alesis support and discovering it is borderline non-existent,  I'm forced to explore other means of assistance! 

So here's the issue I'm having with my Command Mesh kit.   The snare trigger is not functioning at all, won't register on-hit.  The SN-R rimshot trigger will register if I hit it hard enough, but I really gotta muscle it, so that's no solution.  I tried swapping another drum module in (each of the toms) and it still doesn't register.  So pretty much anything that the SNARE plug is plugged into, won't register within the module or through MIDI to my DAW. 
I've gone as far as ordering a new snake cable for the kit, thinking maybe the cable was the issue, but to no avail.  Have also dismantled the snare module to check for loose/faulty wiring, but everything seems to be in place.  Also have tried numerous full factory resets including trigger resets, to no avail. 
Pretty much the only way I can use it is if I use a tom in the snare position and change the voice to a snare voice.  Which works fine since I don't mind having 2 toms.  But I would like to use all 3 if I can!  But when used as a midi controller it still sends that signal as a tom and not a snare (maybe there's a workaround for that too, I'm not very well versed in MIDI.)

So I've had the kit about a year, and it worked great up until a few weeks back.  Super stumped on this one, hoping it's an easy fix that's just over the top of my head.

Thanks for reading! Cheers

Offline Chaser

Re: Command Mesh kit snare issues
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »
Hey guys, hope I put this in the right spot, I'm new to the forum!

So after a few weeks of trying to get a hold of Alesis support and discovering it is borderline non-existent,  I'm forced to explore other means of assistance! 

So here's the issue I'm having with my Command Mesh kit.   The snare trigger is not functioning at all, won't register on-hit.  The SN-R rimshot trigger will register if I hit it hard enough, but I really gotta muscle it, so that's no solution.  I tried swapping another drum module in (each of the toms) and it still doesn't register.  So pretty much anything that the SNARE plug is plugged into, won't register within the module or through MIDI to my DAW. 
I've gone as far as ordering a new snake cable for the kit, thinking maybe the cable was the issue, but to no avail.  Have also dismantled the snare module to check for loose/faulty wiring, but everything seems to be in place.  Also have tried numerous full factory resets including trigger resets, to no avail. 
Pretty much the only way I can use it is if I use a tom in the snare position and change the voice to a snare voice.  Which works fine since I don't mind having 2 toms.  But I would like to use all 3 if I can!  But when used as a midi controller it still sends that signal as a tom and not a snare (maybe there's a workaround for that too, I'm not very well versed in MIDI.)

So I've had the kit about a year, and it worked great up until a few weeks back.  Super stumped on this one, hoping it's an easy fix that's just over the top of my head.

Thanks for reading! Cheers

Seems like you have gone through diagnosing everything (swapped toms/harness) and it all leads back to the module itself.
Firmware issues usually will not isolate just one trigger (that I know of). I have seen modules with odd behavior and a hard reset fixes it.
Otherwise the problem sounds more physical at the connector on the module.The DB25 connector is soldered to the main board and is a stress point
and a number of resistors.
I normally would recommend to check for a bent pin , but you replaced the DB25 Harness.
When resetting did you do a soft reset(from the menu) or a hard reset?
Do a Hard Reset..hold down < and > simultaneously and Power On ..you'll see "Factory Resetting"..

The (Medeli DD650) modules have the Snare default sensitivity set at 7...raise to 16..set head/rim to 1..threshold to 1..this will isolate the head.
Strike the pad....any sound at all?

EDIT:
Added link..DD650 DB25 stress point image(s)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:09:23 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 08:05:10 PM »
I have tried both kinds of resets, and no luck.   tried isolating the head just like you said and that didn't work either.  I have the module opened up and everything looks normal but I'm far from versed in electronics. 
Am I screwed? do I need a new module? pretty bummed out :(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »
I have tried both kinds of resets, and no luck.   tried isolating the head just like you said and that didn't work either.  I have the module opened up and everything looks normal but I'm far from versed in electronics. 
Am I screwed? do I need a new module? pretty bummed out :(

It's hard to check for something unless it's obvious/physical like a broken pin around the DB25 connector..one of those resistors could be bad.

There is an Internal test mode for the DD650 modules including a test for checking the pads/triggers and it should work to detect if something is wrong with the module..it won't tell you what it is but if the harness and trigger are in working order it will give you an indication the module is not.

Make sure you use a tom that you know works perfectly(head and rim)..connect to the snare cable..

Module Tests ...
press and hold Down+Up buttons simultaneously while powering on ..you'll see the Alesis splash screen..Firmware Version .. "Booting"..
Then you'll see the main menu ...use the up/down buttons to maneuver...press down to pad test which is #2...press enter
There will be a PAD... and Value...
The "Pad" will show which trigger is being hit..the "Value" will show if the hit is detected and what velocity..
Strike the head..you should see a value..you can keep hitting ..the value will change with velocity...it will be anywhere from 1-127..127 is full velocity

To get out of the tests..press down button until you reach #8 erp..press enter..module will shutdown..
Then power on normally and check to see if anything changed for the snare..I have put modules in test mode before and sometimes for whatever reason certain problems fix themselves after being tested....more often than not..they don't
If there is no Value and your certain (you posted you bought another) it's not the harness(s) .. or the trigger(tom head or rim)..then the module needs to be serviced....

EDIT:
If it turns out the module does have a problem you can still use it for MIDI as you posted above..leave Toms 1,2,3 connected in the same position on the rack and run a 1/4" TRS cable from the Tom 4 expansion on the back of the module to the snare..you'll  still have a 5pc "Rock" setup.. 2 up 1 down which is standard for a lot of software including Melodics..(not all software/Vst support 6-7+ piece kits) then assign a snare voice.
You can also change the MIDI note assignments for Tom 4 in the module so it will trigger in the software as a Snare..Head is usually 38..Rim is usually 40.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:12:51 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:16:32 AM »
Hey! Thanks for taking the time to help me.

So after testing in the PAD menu like you said above, the snare trigger does not register at all.  still just the SN-R rimshot trigger.

so until I can figure out a way to get it in somewhere for service, I'll try using the TOM4 input route.  I'm relatively clueless when it comes to mapping this kind of thing out but I'll give it my best shot  ;D 

So I have TOM4 connected to the snare with a 1/4 cable.  Going to take a crack at assigning the triggers, if this works I should be able to live with it as is. 

If it doesn't, well I guess I will be back! Ha.
Thanks again.