Author Topic: Quick newbie question regarding drum software (VST? DAT? ???)  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Joker47

Quick newbie question regarding drum software (VST? DAT? ???)
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:23:43 PM »
For details, I will use the search function.

But, my basic question: Is the drumming software, (EZ Drummer, Studio Drummer, etc...) used for just tweaking what you've recorded and making it sound like whatever kit/brand/mix you want, with a really great mix?

Or is it basically like a really kick-a** drum module that gives you extra and more precise/varied sounds/kits/options than your regular module?

Every time I try and search for an answer, it seems like every place feels you already have a basic understanding of how it all works, and what it's for. I can't find an "idiot" site or explanation. LOL

I simply want to know if the software on the laptop CAN be used like a module, and tweak your kit even more. Or, is it just for recording and MAKING your kit sound as good as it can for a final recording? Like a band's final studio mix?

My goal is pretty basic: I want to have the sound that will come out of my headphones or amp, be exactly what it would be on "stage". (I'll never be there, but I want set my kit up as though I would. I hope that makes sense.) I just don't want to have a kit that sounds like sh*t, then make it sound awesome with the software. Seems counter productive if you ever want to play along with someone else.

I will not be offended if you use one syllable words and baby talk to make this make sense to me.  ;D I just want to know what I'm buying before I drop $300+ on some software that may not do what I'm hoping it will.

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Re: Quick newbie question regarding drum software (VST? DAT? ???)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 01:59:38 AM »
My setup is a Strike module and Superior Drummer 3.
The Strike module sounds really good on it’s own but with Superior Drummer, I can make it sound pretty much like any drum set I want depending on which “expansion packs” I have.
I have the Strike module routed to it’s own channel on a mixer and I have my laptop running SD3 routed to it’s own channel so I can switch back and forth easily.
This is a pretty basic answer to your question and I could probably elaborate more if you want.

I hope this helps you.

Powerhouse

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 09:31:05 AM »
Hi Joker, I totally get your thought process. I've still got the old DM10 module and for the first month or two it was cool and I started playing with my own kits, layering instruments, but something was always just kinda meh.. I'd get a decent snare but the cymbals weren't great.. so few tom options.. I tried a bit of tinkering in the fx and room settings but still felt like I was playing a substandard drumset and was a bit disappointed. Then I got to test out Superior, Addictive and another midi vst, forget the name, and I went with Addictive Drums. I did spend a lot, but bought different packs when they were on sale (all the time).. and had to learn about midi, get a decent audio interface, but what a difference.. I went back to the module the other day and it was just lame compared to the sounds in AD2.

I think you can use it in both respects.. many will use these vst's for recording or live I suppose and then the module on its own when they don't want to have to set up all the extra software and hardware to run a midi app.. I don't gig but if I did I imagine I'd be wary of my laptop or the program crashing in the middle of a set because of low memory or whatever.. but at home there's just no comparison to the extra "oomph" I get in the sound and the selection of styles of drum sets, the adjustability, and the few times I've tried recording myself while running through Addictive it's great to be able to go back to my DAW (I use Ableton at the moment) and swap out kit pieces or whole drumsets, or bring up the volume of an instrument in the mix (the ride is always kinda low vol) etc and then export the audio in a few different ways to see what sounds best for the song. Its a lot of extra learning and time however and even now after years I still have a lot to learn.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 01:13:05 AM »
I agree.
It comes down to 2 questions really.
1) What are my needs/wants?
2) How much do I want to spend?
If I was a using it to play out and make money, I would be concerned about having to take extra equipment and adding another possible point of failure.
On the other hand, if I was using the kit for recording, you can’t beat the enormous amount of tweaks/settings in a vst.
You could probably spend a month tweaking the module and get it close to what you want but with SD3, it would take forever with all of the various parameters that can be fine tuned.
I’ve never played with Addictive Drummer but I assume it’s the same as Superior Drummer.

Powerhouse

Offline Joker47

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Thanks Alan and Powerhouse. That was really helpful.  :)

I guess my only remaining question would be, how is the laptop with the software connected to the mixer?

I just picked up a 12 channel for some expansion and tweaking plans, and the only output I can think of is USB, and my mixer only has USB out.(Which is what I currently use for recording on my laptop.)

It seems like if I can get the output of the laptop with the software to my headphones/amp/mixer, it sounds like I would be set, if I understood how you guys explained it to me.  :)

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 01:28:34 AM »
I use the headphone jack on the laptop. I have a stereo breakout cable with a single, stereo, (Tip, Ring, Sleeve or TRS), 1/8 or 3.5 mm. plug on one end and two 1/4 inch, (left and right), jacks on the other end which I plug into a stereo input on my mixer. You could also use 2 adjacent mixer channels with the left panned hard left and the right panned hard right if you don't have a stereo input on your mixer.
Here is a link to the type of cable I'm using. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6
Hope this helps.

powerhouse

Offline Joker47

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »
I use the headphone jack on the laptop. I have a stereo breakout cable with a single, stereo, (Tip, Ring, Sleeve or TRS), 1/8 or 3.5 mm. plug on one end and two 1/4 inch, (left and right), jacks on the other end which I plug into a stereo input on my mixer. You could also use 2 adjacent mixer channels with the left panned hard left and the right panned hard right if you don't have a stereo input on your mixer.
Here is a link to the type of cable I'm using. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6
Hope this helps.

powerhouse

Thanks man. That's a huge help.  :)

Regards,
J

Just for fun: