Author Topic: Quick question on crosstalk  (Read 957 times)

Offline Joker47

Quick question on crosstalk
« on: August 29, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Every so often, one of my cymbals, or even a drum pad will cut out while playing. I assume it’s having crosstalk problems, but I can’t purposely reproduce it. That is, after a cymbal cuts out  while playing along to a song, I can’t stop and recreate that same thing by hitting the cymbal and anything else.

My question is: Is it the cymbals crosstalk settings I need to adjust, or is it whatever other pad that is affecting it that I need to adjust?

If it’s the “guilty” pad making the cymbal cut out, how do I find what it is if I can’t reproduce it manually?

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: Quick question on crosstalk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:50:21 AM »
Every so often, one of my cymbals, or even a drum pad will cut out while playing. I assume it’s having crosstalk problems, but I can’t purposely reproduce it. That is, after a cymbal cuts out  while playing along to a song, I can’t stop and recreate that same thing by hitting the cymbal and anything else.

My question is: Is it the cymbals crosstalk settings I need to adjust, or is it whatever other pad that is affecting it that I need to adjust?

If it’s the “guilty” pad making the cymbal cut out, how do I find what it is if I can’t reproduce it manually?

Thanks,
J

It sounds more like you are running out of Polyphony.
Xtalk is When  striking a trigger causes another trigger to sound.
If you place instruments in a Mute Group one cancels out the previous..immediately.

If the maximum number of polyphony voices are playing, triggering an additional one will cause low-priority voices to stop so that higher-priority voices can sound usually cymbals or low toms which resonate longer and are at low priority (default settings)
There are a number of Kits at the 200mb range (max) or near it so if you have added layer(s) to any of the instruments it will start cutting off or stopping sounds.
You'll notice it more doing cymbal swells or rolls etc.You can adjust the Priority settings for each instrument from Low/Med/High.

Xtalk  pg 20

Priority (Polyphony)...Mute Groups  pg 17

Strike Performance Drum Module User Guide v1.5

Alesis Strike Pro Kit - Optimizing Trigger Response

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:32:44 PM »
Thanks Chaser. Thanks also for correcting my terminology.  :)

I did go and change the priorities on the most offending pads and cymbals. So far, it seems to be a big improvement.

Pretty sure it'll be a non-issue here in the near future, as I had planned to pick up a second Strike module for expansion. Neither will be fully "loaded", so I'm hopeful this will not be an issue again.

Regards,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
Thanks Chaser. Thanks also for correcting my terminology.  :)

I did go and change the priorities on the most offending pads and cymbals. So far, it seems to be a big improvement.

Pretty sure it'll be a non-issue here in the near future, as I had planned to pick up a second Strike module for expansion. Neither will be fully "loaded", so I'm hopeful this will not be an issue again.

Regards,
J

IMO..It was a big mistake for Alesis to create a sample library using stereo samples that eat up double the Polyphony and a module with limited Ram..
not only did this eliminate the ability to use both layers (kits are maxed at 200mb)...they promoted the modules weakness.
I haven't used the Factory Library in years...but I did an experiment that worked very well and improved overall performance..