Author Topic: How to record my USB mp3 song with drums on Crimson II  (Read 571 times)

How to record my USB mp3 song with drums on Crimson II
« on: August 17, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »
Hi, I can play an mp3 song that I have on a USB stick, but when I hit "record", the song doesn't play, and so I can't record it. How can I record an mp3 song on a USB with my drumming? The record process works fine if I use one of the module's songs.
Thanks.

Offline AlanK

Re: How to record my USB mp3 song with drums on Crimson II
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
If you can still hear the mp3 and record yourself on the Crimson, then just add the audio track later in some recording software.. you may need to line the two tracks up carefully so there's no latency between the song and your drumming (assuming you can output your recorded Crimson drumming to bring it into a DAW).
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
To add, depending on how your recording would work as I don't have a Crimson.. I tend to dump my mp3 that I want to record playing along with into my Ableton free recording software, then I output my DM10 drumming to the recording software on another track and line them up, then export it all to an mp3/mp4 (I forget which). The other thing I do is I output my module to a small mixer, and my mp3 goes through a second channel on the mixer so I can EQ the two volumes as I'd like them, then output the both tracks to my recording software.. the DM10 has no built in card, although there's some option to record in the accompanyment section I think.. just so much easier for me to use a recording software package and there are a ton of free versions out there
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
For the Medeli DD650 modules (Command/Crimson/II/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge) the options for recording are...

1. In Song menu, press the [RECORD] button, recording performance with accompaniment (on board songs) playing.
2. In Kit menu, press the [RECORD] button, only recording your drum part performance.

There are two methods to record: record as MP3 format or MIDI format.

1) With a USB flash drive, auto record your own performance as MP3 files, up to 99 user songs can be recorded to a USB flash drive.

2) Without a USB flash drive, auto record your own performance as MIDI files, up to 5 user songs can be recorded in the drum module
    internal flash drive.

If a USB flash drive is plugged in, the recorded song will automatically be mp3 format and will be automatically saved to the USB flash drive...

These modules do not have the ability of recording to USB Flash Drive while playing a File from USB Flash Drive..

EDIT:
You can connect an audio source (smartphone mp3 player..any audio through a 3.5mm TRS cable) to the Aux input and in KIT mode..record.. and the module will output your performance and the Aux audio together as an mp3 and will save it to the USB Flash Drive..just remember to set all your levels in advance (no Aux input level on these modules) and set the metro/click to phones...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 04:24:00 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »
Chaser: Finally, the information you provided in your added edit is what I was looking for. Thank you! Yes, in order to record without getting into the computer software headaches, I was able to use my phone to add the music, then record using "kit" and save it to a USB.
Thanks again.
jblackwell