Author Topic: VH-12 Roland hi hat, the usual problem…  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Joker47

VH-12 Roland hi hat, the usual problem…
« on: August 09, 2021, 08:53:10 PM »
A little while ago I picked up a VH-12 hi hat for a good price. Come to find out, it has what I found out to be the usual problem with not sensing itself completely closed.

So, we started looking for the bad piezo. I got stuck trying to take off the piece in the picture. (The non-blurry, crescent shaped piece.
Isn’t the piezo under that? If so, how do you remove that piece to check/repair it? Instructions on the web seem to show under it, but kit the removal.

Any help of links would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: VH-12 Roland hi hat, the usual problem…
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »
A little while ago I picked up a VH-12 hi hat for a good price. Come to find out, it has what I found out to be the usual problem with not sensing itself completely closed.

So, we started looking for the bad piezo. I got stuck trying to take off the piece in the picture. (The non-blurry, crescent shaped piece.
Isn’t the piezo under that? If so, how do you remove that piece to check/repair it? Instructions on the web seem to show under it, but kit the removal.

Any help of links would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Are you sure it's the top cymbal?
You can check by connecting to a cymbal input (crash) and press Note Chase and see if the Bow and Edge work.
The problem was usually the open/close controller/sensor in the bottom cymbal..the 2 red wires get broken/stretched etc.The top cymbal also has an "Extra Tight' feature that only works on specific Roland Modules.

ROLAND VH12 ISSUE..OPEN ALL THE TIME

ROLAND VH12 TRIGGERING PROBLEMS

ROLAND VH12 REPAIR

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »
Well, I’m not 100% sure it’s the top. But, we dissembled the bottom one, and the red wires were both fine, and ohmed out fine as well. The PCB looked good and the connections were fine. I even wiggled the wires while ohming them out, and saw no change in resistance.

Right now, my roommates putting it back together to test it. Just to make sure I wasn’t chasing a ghost with my hi hat stand. (My Goedrum hi hat works fine.)

I did send her those links as well to see if they are the same ones as she found before.

Depending on how it tests later this evening, I’ll have to figure the next steps. 🙂

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

Offline Joker47

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 03:14:12 PM »
Just getting back to this.

We pulled the board at the bottom of the center switch that is usually where the wires go bad. The wires were intact and ohmed out just fine to the PCB. Even when the wires were wiggled, the resistance didn't waiver.
So, we put it back together just to test it and make sure it wasn't my set up, and it was the same. Can't get a full closed sound. My Goedrum hi hat is still working alright with the same set up.

So, that's why we thought it might be under the top "cymbal", but have no idea how to take it apart to check.

What are the chances it's the PCB itself? Can those be purchased from Roland?

Regards,
J

Just for fun: