Author Topic: Newbie question about my Crimson snare/tom  (Read 882 times)

Newbie question about my Crimson snare/tom
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:58:47 AM »
Hi everyone! I bought my Alesis Crimson 2 about 3 weeks ago and I love it! I bought a double kick pedal and a real hi-hat stand and bought the strike hi-hat cymbal and GoEdrum sensor thing so now I want to either get the Laurin Snare and use the current snare as a tom/floor tom and there is my question, CAN I use my current stoke Crimson 2 snare as a tom? I assumed they are all the same drum just the triggers were different?   

So another route is buying a real snare drum, the non-edrum kind  : ) it is my understanding that I can convert it to an EDRUM. If so, do you have any recommendations on where to go to get help?

Thanks for the help y'all.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Newbie question about my Crimson snare/tom
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:41:44 AM »
Hi everyone! I bought my Alesis Crimson 2 about 3 weeks ago and I love it! I bought a double kick pedal and a real hi-hat stand and bought the strike hi-hat cymbal and GoEdrum sensor thing so now I want to either get the Laurin Snare and use the current snare as a tom/floor tom and there is my question, CAN I use my current stoke Crimson 2 snare as a tom? I assumed they are all the same drum just the triggers were different?   

So another route is buying a real snare drum, the non-edrum kind  : ) it is my understanding that I can convert it to an EDRUM. If so, do you have any recommendations on where to go to get help?

Thanks for the help y'all.

Hi dajerloon,

Welcome to the forum! Your Alesis snare drum can be used as any drum that you want it to be. The toms and snare are basically the same construction. The only difference is the snare is larger.

You can convert an acoustic snare drum if you wish. The easiest type of conversation would be one of those side mount acoustic drum triggers.  Together with a good mesh head and you should be good to go (of course you may have to play with the trigger settings). Just make sure you purchase a dual zone trigger module (that way you can get head and rim triggering).

If you are wanting to make a totally custom edrum snare, my advice would be, only do this if you are comfortable with DIY/tools. If you are not use to building things, custom building an edrum can be quite challenging and don't expect it to come out perfect the very first time.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »
Okay great! Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newbie. I really appreciate the help and the advice on the DIY snare/edrum conversion because...yeah, I suck lol.

I am thinking about the Laurin snare.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
The Laurin products are fairly decent and priced reasonably.. I've got a snare and kick, like the wraps and larger format than some of the Alesis drums (aside from Strike). Also heard their cymbals and hi-hat controller are good as well but I haven't tried them.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers