Author Topic: A Couple More Strike Pro Videos...  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Iggford

A Couple More Strike Pro Videos...
« on: July 16, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
Ok, here we go again!  These two are from my band's show on June 29.  Again, they're Facebook videos, so I hope they work.  We're having some issues with our YouTube logins, so I can't get them up on our YouTube page yet.  So, until then, here they are:

I've been wanting to play this one since joining the band.  We've done it as an informal encore between our lead guy and me as everyone's kinda mingling, but never as part of a set.  It's still a little rough around the edges, but here's "In The Air Tonight."

https://www.facebook.com/DisasterRecoveryBand/videos/348119232525371/

This one's not a cover.  It's an original song that we've been doing for the last few months.  It's slated for our next album, if we ever get around to recording it!  It's called "Hard Wheat Harvest of '84."

https://www.facebook.com/DisasterRecoveryBand/videos/2298358757085200/

Love this kit more and more.  I'm working on some more videos from shows past, so I'll post links once I get them up.  We're opening at a local minor league baseball game this Friday night, so I'll hopefully have some pretty cool footage of that as well!

--
Shawn

Offline Chaser

Re: A Couple More Strike Pro Videos...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »
At first I thought there was going to be instruments swinging with a blackout drunk (been there,done that)who has issues with Phil Collins....then I seen the camera...lol

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »
LOL!!  I didn't realize at first what he was doing.  He had been there all night taking pictures (he's a friend of our band leader), but then he just started creeping around.  It took me a minute to realize he was using the GoPro, also!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 01:40:49 PM »
The perils of playing at floor level...
I had a Studio with an overhead control room in the late 80's where for 250.00 you got a VHS of your 45 min set , some BW Glossy's and out the door in an hour.
One of the clients was Jam Entertainment which booked for Bars,clubs etc and I would warn new bands/groups about the places where you were playing at floor level or packed in a corner and I recommended getting a set of stanchions with the velvet red ropes like you would see at a theater etc or something similar to put a no fly zone around them.It doesn't necessarily prevent everything but it helps.
Country,Punk,Metal..weddings..didn't matter,if alcohol was being served there's always the possibility of a stumble drunk(s).. and a Line dance, mosh pit,or the carnage of a bunny hop gone bad...taking out the band/gear.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »
We actually use a rope light along the floor, creating a "stage boundary."  We weren't sure of its effectiveness at first, and the original purpose for it was to add some ground lighting to our stage setup.  But, surprisingly, it has become a deterrent for people in the crowds.  We haven't had people get near as close as before. 

Ultimately, I do prefer the venues with actual stages, but a couple of our regular venues are floor-level, so at least the rope light has given us some kind of boundary.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
Hey Shawn, great videos! Love the Something in the Air Tonight, everyone goes nuts when Phil comes in with those classic toms and you did it bang on! I haven't listened to the song in ages.. really like how you extend each fill and then crash on the new upbeat (not sure if that's the way the song is or your touch, love it in any case). I heard a vague cow bell at the very end.. was I imagining or was it a rogue rim tap that got picked up? lol

Ya that gopro dude is a bit creepy.. esp wearing sandals.. hahahaha. kidding.. and there's the person leaning in on the window beside you filming.. was there someone filming through the eye of some animal head on the wall?? lol

Set looks awesome, very classy appearance, must get loads of compliments. Do you use pretty much one main kit sound or do you dail up different ones for various songs? You guys look great, very pro.. you're lucky to have keyboards, and a female singer too.. we get a couple of the wives/gfs at some of our jams sessions or halloween parties coming up to belt out a few tunes, some of them play the guitar.. in my younger band years we had an incredible keyboardist that added so much to the band, so many more songs we could play with him.

Hope to watch more of you guys soon!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, Alan!  I greatly appreciate them.  It was definitely one to cross of the list, getting to finally play In The Air Tonight.  The crashing was my take on it, I don't believe there's any crash at all in the original. 

Yes, the cowbell was a mistake, LOL.  I actually edited it out of the audio mix, but when I combined that mix with the audio from the three cameras (gives it a bit more ambiance), I couldn't get it out of there without it sounding odd.  So I left it in as just one of those moments.

The one filming beside me is actually my wife, lol.  She was trying to get live video for Facebook.  I've been studying the video now, trying to find the animal head, but I can't spot it!  As far as I know, they don't have any on the wall, but I could be wrong.  We've played that venue many times, and I've not noticed.  But the GoPro on the guys head didn't register with me at first, either, so anything's possible!!  :)

I have three main kits that I switch between for a show.  I have my main kit.  I actually do have a variation on that one that puts a cowbell on the ride bell for a couple songs (working on video from last weekend that showcases that).  I have what I call a "Lite" kit that is basically the main kit with all the reverb dialed back.  It's a bit softer and smaller sounding.  I used that one in the second video, the original song.  Kit 3 is the gated kit, and that's obviously the one I used for "In the Air." All three kits use custom samples I imported into my Strike module.  Main and Lite are from an Andy Johns sample pack for BFD, and the gated kit is from the Hugh Padgham Big Fill Kit sample set, also for BFD.  I named it the "Big Phil" kit in my module, LOL.

We've always tried to keep a keyboardist on-hand.  We feel that a total 5-piece setup fills the sound out really well.  We're really lucky to have the female touch.  She is great on some of the female-led covers, but she also belts out some of the original male-led songs that really go over well with our crowds.  My wife actually plays the sax, so we're trying to get her confidence up to at least sit in on a song or two. 

Thanks again for all the kind words, I'll keep sharing as we get material up!  I was supposed to have another video up over the weekend, but I don't think I spent more than a couple hours at home all weekend (how it seemed anyway), so I'm a bit behind.  More on the way, though!

--
Shawn