Author Topic: Using Trigger I/O or DDrum DDti with Strike and/or Crimson 2 module  (Read 3278 times)

I am going to throw out right off that I am a complete newbie when it comes to MIDI, and if it means I have to listen to folks berate me for it so I can at least try to learn, so be it.  I have searched the internet for hours and have come to the conclusion that you are supposed to buy this product but not actually use it as there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive set of directions for it.  The directions tell you what you need to do without telling you how you go about actually doing it.   I am someone that has college degree, is more than reasonably intelligent, managed a small business with gross sales in the $3m range, and is also a male and willing to turn in his man card and actually read directions IF they existed and would help. I'm not a dummy.    I have both an Alesis Trigger I/O and the DDrum version, and am looking to use it to expand the number of inputs on my Strike Module and my Crimson 2 module.   I have the manuals for the respective devices,  but they might as well be in another language.   I understand the concept of each device plugged in having a particular channel number assigned to the tip and rim, it's an elementary school version of using an ip address for networking.  But what combinations of the up and down arrows on these devices gets the two different zones of say the TOM 1 input to connect back to the drum module, and from there, what combination of the up and down arrows actually allows me to assign a voice to said two zones of TOM 1?  I don't see anywhere in the Strike module the capability of pulling up the midi channel of a pad plugged in and being able to assign a voice.  It's so frustrating.   Somehow I managed to get the rim of TOM 1 plugged in to the device to mirror the sound of the main head on TOM1 plugged in to the Strike module, but from what I was reading the channel should have been the head of the pad plugged in to the device and not the rim.  If that is all i will ever accomplish, duplicating voices I already have on my kit doesn't get me anywhere.  I am beginning to think it would be much easier to buy a second module, hook up additional pads and cymbals to that, run a 1/4" to 1/8" cable out from the slave module to the input line of the main module and just deal with two separate modules.  As much of a pain as that would be, I am starting to think it would be many times easier than to try and use these devices that are advertised to do something that they then in turn don't actually tell you properly how to use. 

So what am I missing? 

Offline Chaser

Re: Using Trigger I/O or DDrum DDti with Strike and/or Crimson 2 module
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 01:57:34 AM »
I am going to throw out right off that I am a complete newbie when it comes to MIDI, and if it means I have to listen to folks berate me for it so I can at least try to learn, so be it.  I have searched the internet for hours and have come to the conclusion that you are supposed to buy this product but not actually use it as there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive set of directions for it.  The directions tell you what you need to do without telling you how you go about actually doing it.   I am someone that has college degree, is more than reasonably intelligent, managed a small business with gross sales in the $3m range, and is also a male and willing to turn in his man card and actually read directions IF they existed and would help. I'm not a dummy.    I have both an Alesis Trigger I/O and the DDrum version, and am looking to use it to expand the number of inputs on my Strike Module and my Crimson 2 module.   I have the manuals for the respective devices,  but they might as well be in another language.   I understand the concept of each device plugged in having a particular channel number assigned to the tip and rim, it's an elementary school version of using an ip address for networking.  But what combinations of the up and down arrows on these devices gets the two different zones of say the TOM 1 input to connect back to the drum module, and from there, what combination of the up and down arrows actually allows me to assign a voice to said two zones of TOM 1?  I don't see anywhere in the Strike module the capability of pulling up the midi channel of a pad plugged in and being able to assign a voice.  It's so frustrating.   Somehow I managed to get the rim of TOM 1 plugged in to the device to mirror the sound of the main head on TOM1 plugged in to the Strike module, but from what I was reading the channel should have been the head of the pad plugged in to the device and not the rim.  If that is all i will ever accomplish, duplicating voices I already have on my kit doesn't get me anywhere.  I am beginning to think it would be much easier to buy a second module, hook up additional pads and cymbals to that, run a 1/4" to 1/8" cable out from the slave module to the input line of the main module and just deal with two separate modules.  As much of a pain as that would be, I am starting to think it would be many times easier than to try and use these devices that are advertised to do something that they then in turn don't actually tell you properly how to use. 

So what am I missing?

The STRIKE module and the Crimson module aren't capable of adding zones/expanding as far as using the modules themselves/standalone.You can only split the triggers to add more pads.You can do this with a Y splitter or you can use a TMI such as the Trigger I/O (DDTi..same unit) into the midi in.Usually the rims on the Toms are used.
STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller

The only module that you could truly expand with more triggers/zones was the original DM10 module.The Alesis DM10 has 22 zones , but also 35 additional midi notes that can be accessed with midi so you could get a total of 57 zones
 The DM10 lets you assign any of its on board sounds (or samples) to any of its midi notes with each one of the 35 additional midi notes being totally editable, FX, EQ, Decay, Layer A B etc.
DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

If you were going to use a DAW or Drum software..Addictive Drums,, EZ Drummer, Drum Forge,BFD,Superior Drummer, XLN etc etc then you could expand the kit with the Trigger I/O-DDTi though midi and assign the triggers/zones  to match the midi map  in the software you are using.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:12:17 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
Thanks, I think :)!  So expanding per se is out.  I am not using external software, just sticking to what is in the module itself so I don't have to deal with a computer.

So hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to hook up a separate set of pads and cymbals to the Crimson 2 module, and connect it to the Strike module using the midi cable?  My other thought was to run a second module either through the first module (1/4" out to 1/8" input), or simply run two lines to the board.   

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
Thanks, I think :)!  So expanding per se is out.  I am not using external software, just sticking to what is in the module itself so I don't have to deal with a computer.

So hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to hook up a separate set of pads and cymbals to the Crimson 2 module, and connect it to the Strike module using the midi cable?  My other thought was to run a second module either through the first module (1/4" out to 1/8" input), or simply run two lines to the board.

You can connect any module/TMI that has a midi out and is capable of assigning/changing the midi notes for the Triggers but understand MIDI does not send audio it only sends MIDI.
If you are not using software/DAW you'll just be triggering the same note/voice assigned to another trigger in the STRIKE module.I posted a link in the previous reply for Triggering the STRIKE module.

If you want to use separate sounds/voices from the second module as you mentioned you could use a 1/8" stereo cable split to 1/4" and run the main outs from the other module to the aux input on the STRIKE,or if not using headphones use the 1/8" headphone jack from the other module out to the 1/8" aux in on the STRIKE,but I don't know how much control/quality you'll have.
You may be bouncing back and forth in the settings between the two to find some kind of balance compared to just getting both modules where you want them and running the main outs to a board and adjusting the levels there.

I haven't spent any time using the aux in yet as I have been extremely busy,including building an iPad data base for multitrack songs/playback.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:04:09 AM »
The STRIKE module and the Crimson module aren't capable of adding zones/expanding as far as using the modules themselves/standalone.You can only split the triggers to add more pads.You can do this with a Y splitter or you can use a TMI such as the Trigger I/O (DDTi..same unit) into the midi in.Usually the rims on the Toms are used.

The only module that you could truly expand with more triggers/zones was the original DM10 module.The Alesis DM10 has 22 zones , but also 35 additional midi notes that can be accessed with midi so you could get a total of 57 zones
 The DM10 lets you assign any of its on board sounds (or samples) to any of its midi notes with each one of the 35 additional midi notes being totally editable, FX, EQ, Decay, Layer A B etc.
DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

If you were going to use a DAW or Drum software..Addictive Drums,, EZ Drummer, Drum Forge,BFD,Superior Drummer, XLN etc etc then you could expand the kit with the Trigger I/O-DDTi though midi and assign the triggers/zones  to match the midi map  in the software you are using.

Fwiw, the DM10 equivalent Pearl Redbox module also includes the extra Midi notes for Trigger I/O control and should still be available:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?264150-REDbox-Module-question&highlight=Alesis+Trigger+I%2FO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:09:11 AM by rhysT »

Offline Dartanbeck

Fwiw, the DM10 equivalent Pearl Redbox module also includes the extra Midi notes for Trigger I/O control and should still be available:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?264150-REDbox-Module-question&highlight=Alesis+Trigger+I%2FO
I have to get my hands on one (or more) of these before they (soon?) go extinct! I really love my DM10 module and would love to have a backup for it.

The only module that you could truly expand with more triggers/zones was the original DM10 module.

jlanephoto, I am so sorry to hear this... and I had no idea!
On the bright side, That Strike module is one amazing unit, from what I've been seeing. I bet the Crimson 2 is cool too.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist