Laboratory > Do-It-Yourself or DIY

Alesis DM10 Mesh head Pad Upgrade Video!

(1/70) > >>

Hellfire:
If you own an Alesis DM5, USB, or DM10 Pro kit, here is the best DIY way to convert your trigger pads to mesh.

Alesis DM10 Pad Upgrade Video!

***Caution, You will Void Your Warranty Once You Do This Upgrade***

Quick FAQ (Thanks Recess):

--- Quote from: Recess on August 12, 2012, 05:52:30 AM ---Just spend half an hour reading this entire thread, and it strikes me that it could probably do with a FAQ on the very first post - as there's a lot of repeated questions.  I've put something together in case you want to edit your initial post Hellfire? I don't know if you'll use it, but wanted to do something as a way of saying thanks.

FAQ

1) Why remove the resistors? When you get a stock pad, the sensor plate is way at the top and thus the piezo element produces a much hotter signal, but once you do the conversion, it is no long at the top of the stack. It is below a much more adsorbent piece of foam and further down the stack. The result is a sensor with a much diminished signal output. That is why the resistors are removed. (if you leave them in, you may have to crank up the sensitivity - and that could cause issues)

*That also answers 'Do I really need to break out the soldering iron' - you may not need to remove the resistor, and could just cut slits in the foam to enable re-ordering.

2) My 'thick black foam' has a hole cut in it, making it like a donut - do I need to fill it in with something? No, the pad will still work just fine. Some folks report that it feels a lot better in the centre without the foam, with more rebound. However, others have taken the circle of white foam that is cut out, and (after trimming) put this inside the hole of the black foam, and report no problems.

3) Why put the funky foam at the bottom? Because it's used to raise the internal stack up primarily, and won't sink into the frame at the bottom of the drum.

--- End quote ---

goony:
If you already have the dual trigger type of this pad, do you HAVE to take wires from the jack? Or can you do the conversion without having to solder...

Hellfire:

--- Quote from: goony on January 13, 2010, 07:23:25 AM ---If you already have the dual trigger type of this pad, do you HAVE to take wires from the jack? Or can you do the conversion without having to solder...

--- End quote ---
Never did it that way but, you can try.

goony:
Was just a thought as my diy skills are shockingly bad... So if I could get away with not having to attempt soldering the better....

Guinness:
Soldering is simple.  You can do it! 

Phil... question:  The jack used for the dual is a TRS (right?).  Does that jack female come standard on single piezo drums?  Or did you also have to purchase a TRS jack?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version