Author Topic: What's the difference between Crimson and Crimson II modules?  (Read 5800 times)

What's the difference between Crimson and Crimson II modules?
« on: December 10, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
What are the real differences: Crimson vs Crimson II?

According to Alesis' comparison site, they appear identical:
https://www.alesis.com/drum-kit-comparison

Both are listed as having 671 sounds, 54 factory kits/20 user kits, & 120 built-in songs

This thread mentions that the Crimson II has 71 new sounds and 4 additional preset kits (and an additional 12-inch crash w/ choke, if you buy the kit):
https://getsatisfaction.com/alesis/topics/crimson-vs-crimson-ii

I bought a used Crimson Mesh set a few months ago, but just found a used Crimson II module online. I had first seen the "71 additional sounds & 4 kits" comment and thought it would be a worthwhile upgrade, so I bought it. Then I saw the Alesis site and wondered if I just wasted my money on the Crimson II module.

I suppose I should verify what my module has. I think it has 50/20 (rather than 54/20) for kits, but I didn't check the number of sounds.

Offline Chaser

Re: What's the difference between Crimson and Crimson II modules?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:02:32 PM »
What are the real differences: Crimson vs Crimson II?

According to Alesis' comparison site, they appear identical:
https://www.alesis.com/drum-kit-comparison

Both are listed as having 671 sounds, 54 factory kits/20 user kits, & 120 built-in songs

This thread mentions that the Crimson II has 71 new sounds and 4 additional preset kits (and an additional 12-inch crash w/ choke, if you buy the kit):
https://getsatisfaction.com/alesis/topics/crimson-vs-crimson-ii

I bought a used Crimson Mesh set a few months ago, but just found a used Crimson II module online. I had first seen the "71 additional sounds & 4 kits" comment and thought it would be a worthwhile upgrade, so I bought it. Then I saw the Alesis site and wondered if I just wasted my money on the Crimson II module.

I suppose I should verify what my module has. I think it has 50/20 (rather than 54/20) for kits, but I didn't check the number of sounds.

The Kit Comparison Chart is wrong
The Crimson II module did have a few more kits and samples (4 additional preset kits and some new sounds.)
I neglected to write them down before I sold the kit I had (for R&D)
The Crimson module I still have has 50 Kits and 629 Sounds with 629 being "Mute"
Check here for a better description of the Crimson II ..https://alesis.com/kb/article/2353#difference

The Crimson II also has the option in the menu to switch to the Pro-X (FSR).
The Crimson doesn't have this option.

Hi-Hat Selection
If you are using an Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat (instead of the RealHat hi-hat control pedal included with your Crimson II Kit), you will need to configure the module type for that type of hi-hat control.
To select the type of hi-hat control:
1. Press Kit to enter the Kit Selection page (if you are not already viewing it).
2. Press Menu to enter the Kit Menu.
3. Use the Down and Up buttons to select HiHat Type.
4. Use the dial or Left () and Right () buttons to select On or Off.
• Pedal: Select this if you are using the RealHat hi-hat control pedal included with your Crimson II Kit.
• Pro-X: Select this if you have upgraded to the Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat.
5. Press Exit to return to the previous page.

One other thing to note is the MIDI note for open closed on the Crimson II and the DM10 MKII Studio are tied to one note for sending CC info (note 08)

If you decide to go with a HiHat and stand look for a STRIKE HiHat.
It is the same bottom half/controller,but the top is much quieter and you can usually pick one up on ebay for the same price as the Pro-X.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:19:59 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
Thanks Chaser. I appreciate the info. I don't plan on upgrading my HiHat in the near future, but may get the bug sometime later on.

671 minus 629 means the II has about 42 more sounds. Good to know.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:23:56 PM »
Thanks Chaser. I appreciate the info. I don't plan on upgrading my HiHat in the near future, but may get the bug sometime later on.

671 minus 629 means the II has about 42 more sounds. Good to know.

No problem..
These modules are Rebranded Medeli DD650.
The differences is in the Firmware/Features but for the most part the Kit,Voice list etc are the same as in the manual (starting page 38)

COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE (MEDELI DD650)

I decided to spend some time with the Crimson module .so I could refresh my memory..
When you scroll through the sounds on the Crimson you'll end at 629...however... if you go into Voices..select Hi Hat..or Pedal..or Splash..You'll see there are "Hi Hat Combinations"  from 630-643...they are locked to the Hi Hat components..you select one..it is applied to all three.

So Technically (Mystery Math) there is 671 sounds...629 + 42 ("HH combinations" >14x3) =671 Voices in the Crimson (unless "HiHat combinations" don't count)
You can assign any of the other Factory Voices to the HiHat,Pedal and Splash (including Hi Hat Voices 408-443 which is 9 groups of 4..HH,Edge,Pedal,splash) and to other kit pieces.. and they WILL save.
I haven't had time to check this further by using a Ride Voice and play with the tuning or try odd combinations etc....
however you can't assign the "HiHat Combinations" to anything other than the HiHat pieces..(HighHat,HH-P,HH-S).

Confused yet?

I think this is the same math applied to the New STRIKE SE kit to get to the 45,000 sounds...lol.

Also note the careful wording... "The Crimson Kit II module features 4 additional preset kits and 71 new sounds."
That does not mean....71 additional sounds...

Unknown if "new" means 71 sounds were removed and replaced with different or if 71 existing sounds were re-sampled.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:51:52 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »
Ah, got it. The New sounds replaced some of the Old sounds, so we still have 671. We just don't know if they just resampled the same sounds or really have new sounds.

Thanks!