Author Topic: A to E conversion with Alesis Trigger IO: Construction has begun!  (Read 13147 times)

Re: A to E conversion with Alesis Trigger IO: Construction has begun!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »
Jakkerd,

I have a few quick questions for you....

You seem to have used 35mm piezos under the foam cones (possibly complete cone triggers bought from 'Quartz' at VDrums?), is this correct?

The reason I ask is that I have DIY'ed an acoustic kit using 35mm cone triggers bought (from 'Quartz' in Canada), because I had originally intended to buy a Roland TD module. However, I changed my mind and decided upon a Trigger IO and VST drum software. Unfortunately Trigger IOs are currently out of stock everywhere in the UK and in the time I have been waiting, one question has been bugging me....

Are the 35mm cone triggers really too 'hot' for the Trigger IO?

I would be interested to hear if taking the Gain/Sensitivity down to 0 was sufficient for you.

Lastly, a question for everyone/anyone who has used Edrum Monitor software....

If my edrums are too 'hot' for the Trigger IO, will I be able to use Edrum Monitor to scale back the signal?

Thanks in advance,

A

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
i used the 20 mm piezos from allelectronis now mind you the bigger the piezo the more voltage it throws to the mod(ie. dm5,dm10,i/o) using the 20mm its a nice middle ground i get plenty enough signal to make my mod work but also eliminates all crosstalk it picks up every trigger even rolls come out clean ive tried various sizes and im stuck with these
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
I'm using the 35mm ones because they're ready made with cones. If it turns out they are to hard to get functioning properly, i can always change them.
It's my first build, so everything is more of a proof of concept. Once it's all working, i can start the finetuning.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17:49 AM »
That build is looking fantastic - can't wait to see how it all turns out - as I want to blatently copy it for my next build!

pre0ats - I've been using edrum monitor, and it's sucessor etrigger for a while now.  I've got a mix of piezo sizes on my kit from 27-35mm (as I didn;t quite know what I was doing when I built the kit) and it really helps in scaling the velocity.  I've been recording an album using the setup, and bar a few midi tweaks post recording, it all responds fairly well.

I am intrigued though about the reflection plate discussion, as I have to set the retriggers so high on the software for the larger drums, that rolls become a bit of an impossibility.
Premier Royale 7 piece A to E with T-Trigger mesh heads on a Dixon Chrome rack.
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

Kit album:http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=228

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
your kit is coming along great bro will be nice to see it all together even better when you get to play them..lol
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
It's been a while, but i'm still working on it whenever i find some time.

The case is starting to take shape, although i changed my mind :p.
It's aluminum now, which is lighter and keeps it slightly smaller on the outside. I also changed the layout, to accommodate a second hard drive. Which will also affect the cooling lay out.

Anyway, first pic is the psu and mobo. Above the psu is just room enough for a small hd-cage. Air will enter at the 2 sides of the hd's and will exit next to the cpu cooler. Giving all the essential components a constant flow of fresh air.
Second pic is the i/o side panel. The exit fan isn't in there yet and neither is the power connector. The soundcard is an old soundblaster, obviously just for test fitting.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
Long time no see. Still working if i can find the time.
The case is almost ready and the touchpad interface is working. Still need to mount it in the side panel tho.
First pic is the case next to the hd-bay. The other 2 are close ups.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
Looks good.  That pwr supply must be tiny. I can't even see it.  That's a Micro board, right?  It's so tight in there, I still wonder how well it's going to handle heat.  I remember you said it's well vented/fan'd.  It's just so crammed.   Although, I guess compare to other Micro board, I suppose that's normal.  I'm used to my Tower... even that gets too hot.  (But that's because I don't dust it enough.)

Anyways... thanks for the update.

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
That's actually the board of a full sized atx psu. It's a small motherboard, but with a 'full size' cpu (about 65 watts on full load), 2 hard drives and lots of ram. Plus there's room for a pci sound card, so a 60 or 120watt psu simply wouldn't cut it.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
What CPU is it?  What psu are you using?

I guess pictures can be deceiving.  It all looks small/tight... except CPU heatsink. 

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »
Core2Duo e5300. And an old 350 watt psu.

edit: mobo: Intel DG41MJ-G41
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:55:40 PM by jakkerd »