Author Topic: DM-10 on steroids, Phase II  (Read 2498 times)

DM-10 on steroids, Phase II
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »
Hi Folks again,
after changing the sounds before, I finally managed to get my first real patched DM-10 Firmware working on the module, haha!
I try to push the limits still further...but it takes much time and effort.

Phase III will be to include sounds of a famous Hall Of Fame-Drummer in my soundset;-)

Best regards to those who have time to play their drums instead, mine is very limited in the moment.

Tim.

Online Hellfire

Re: DM-10 on steroids, Phase II
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
Hi Folks again,
after changing the sounds before, I finally managed to get my first real patched DM-10 Firmware working on the module, haha!
I try to push the limits still further...but it takes much time and effort.

Phase III will be to include sounds of a famous Hall Of Fame-Drummer in my soundset;-)

Best regards to those who have time to play their drums instead, mine is very limited in the moment.

Tim.

That's awesome!

Are you able to put multiple samples in your instrument patches or are they just one shot sounds?

Too bad you weren't able to make a program of some kind so that other DM10 users could make their own sound sets.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 04:29:57 AM »
Hello Hellfire,

too bad but a working program seems to be impossible as too much individual tweaking of the files is needed.
But the "architecture of the loaded files is equal to the original.

Best wishes,

Tim.

Offline korakios

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »
Hi Tim, (I also send you a pm)
As far as I can understand,the dm10 module contains samples in wav or aiff format,right?
The problem is to find the position where some crucial parameters of the dm10 are ,like of how many layers an instrument has and on which velocity dm10 changes the layer.
(Oftopic : DM-pro module had all these features ,but I totally understand why Alesis hide them because users would find dm10 extremely hard to program it. But Alesis should have provided many ready to play kits.....)

So back to the topic,
 Have you found the way dm10 reads the files? If so could share it? I could make a very GUI limited but working patch in pure data for loading custom sounds and creating custom sysex kits.

PS. My biggest fear is that Alesis decided not giving more soundsets because the internal flash memory would have issues with many re-writes...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:25:52 AM by korakios »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »
As far as I can understand,the dm10 module contains samples in wav or aiff format,right?
The problem is to find the position where some crucial parameters of the dm10 are, like of how many layers an instrument has and on which velocity dm10 changes the layer.

Have you found the way dm10 reads the files? If so could share it? I could make a very GUI limited but working patch in pure data for loading custom sounds and creating custom sysex kits.

Modifying the original DM10 soundset is an interesting challenge although I'm satisfied with the combo A+B layer sounds in most of my custom kits.
It would be useful to capture individual tweaked instruments and kits from the module to transfer them easily.
You may want to bounce some ideas off Corvidae regarding his DM-Editor GUI which could possibly include the extra Midi notes. http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.0 
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg30288#msg30288 
The Strike module plus editor should make it easier to share kits and I'll prob'ly use the DM10 with my multipad.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:40:31 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »
Hello rhysT thanx for your post in this thread.

You're right, the Corvidae's DMeditor is a quite powerful tool to save, edit and even share settings of instruments and kits. But the ground is that all the users share the same sound library or better sound-rom.
The point where we all seem to fail in further evaluating is simply insight information about the it's structures. And none could give them to us except the programmers of Alesis.

There are great progresses made from time to time but all basically triel-and-error or stating from a good guess or idea firstly.

I never played a drum module with self-sampled multi-layered sounds myself and still wonder how it should be possible to edit own sounds in a simple way (-referring to the Strike software) to convert them into the needed velocities, volume levels and stuff.

This would be really interesting to find out!

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:48:26 AM »
Hi Tim, (I also send you a pm)
The problem is to find the position where some crucial parameters of the dm10 are ,like of how many layers an instrument has and on which velocity dm10 changes the layer.
(Oftopic : DM-pro module had all these features ,but I totally understand why Alesis hide them because users would find dm10 extremely hard to program it. But Alesis should have provided many ready to play kits.....)

So back to the topic,

PS. My biggest fear is that Alesis decided not giving more soundsets because the internal flash memory would have issues with many re-writes...

Hey, Korakios,
firstly, I never ran into any problems loading or better re-loading sound-roms multiple times so that could not be the reason why Alesis stopped to develop sound-sets after BlueJay (they ran into serious problems with that one,too).
I started simply by replacing individual wav sound-files in the V1.03 sound-rom concluding that there are no general structures working for all instruments. Probably we should take one instrument you want to be changed for an example and I try to explain what I found out with it.
No name-tags, folders or anything, just a simple array of sounds insight the muddle, partly seemingly un-organized...I simply tried to assign audible sounds to instruments, then.
Assuming there exist nearly 1500 sound-files in the stock sound-rom you'll realize that even if we find and identity every single one it is simply endless...

I claim that the company realized they got too many bottle-necks with the architecture and layout of the DM-10 firmware and software and decided against an upgrade of it, which really seemed to be the plan a few years ago.

For a better understanding of the architecture I found out (with no prove so far...) please skip through the posts of the predecessor of this thread: "DM10X Soundsets on steroids": http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6791.0 where i tried to explain a bit further.

It really seems that we're quite stuck at this point without further insight information.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like to dig deeper.

Offline korakios

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:28 AM »
I will pm you when I get the module and finish modding my set ( it comes with the Mylar heads... )
Since reflashing many times did not lead to any corruption it's a good sign!
Maybe as a first step unlocking the BlueJay set and adding some few essential missing sounds would be much easier than an editor.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
Yes, korakios that's what i thought,too.

But failed!
Partly because I'm not a programmer myself but in the first place because noone really knows how the serial is encrypted or coded in the BlueJay rom.

I skipped this idea and went the route to port the BLueJay sounds into the stock rom (-from the original Sonivox Library) because the architecture inside the BlueJay rom lacks sound-depth and velocity levels.
Feel free to message me.