Author Topic: DM10 Tweaking  (Read 3902 times)

Offline DeeDubs

DM10 Tweaking
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »
Hey all,

I spent last night tweaking up a few kits, and I noticed that the eq and compression seem to be tied together, and they have a pretty big impact on the sounds. The hat sound that was initially craptastic was made 100% better by taking it out of the comp/eq.

I have to say that after last night, the DM10 sounds are growing on me, and as I get better at programming this thing (I've had it less than a week) I'm sure I can get some even better kit sounds with time.

Any requests for a particular kit sound? I'm doing a bunch for a gig on Friday, and after that I'd be into trying my hand at it for others.

Then I'll take a big (memory) dump and post it. Once the kit export is implemented we can break it up for individual consumption. ;)
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline ungoliant

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:22:42 AM »
Anyway, for those who owned a dm5, DM10 has many more hi-hat sounds which are more realistic too ...

Niktas, maybe you are pointing an interesting issue since i play very often with my play along mp3, i didn't take it in consideration. I will test it tonight but i remember that touching the hi-hat trigger was the starting point for blank screen  ???

Online Hellfire

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Hey all,

I spent last night tweaking up a few kits, and I noticed that the eq and compression seem to be tied together, and they have a pretty big impact on the sounds. The hat sound that was initially craptastic was made 100% better by taking it out of the comp/eq.

I have to say that after last night, the DM10 sounds are growing on me, and as I get better at programming this thing (I've had it less than a week) I'm sure I can get some even better kit sounds with time.

Any requests for a particular kit sound? I'm doing a bunch for a gig on Friday, and after that I'd be into trying my hand at it for others.

Then I'll take a big (memory) dump and post it. Once the kit export is implemented we can break it up for individual consumption. ;)
If one learns to program it, the module can sound pretty damn good. ;)
I look forward to your big dump. ;D Have you messed around with combining sounds with the layer A & B yet or using the dynamic pitch, level, and decay? You can get pretty close to mimicking other drum sounds with all that stuff.

Offline DeeDubs

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
Have you messed around with combining sounds with the layer A & B yet or using the dynamic pitch, level, and decay? You can get pretty close to mimicking other drum sounds with all that stuff.

Oh yeah.. and it rocks big time.  You can get some really expressive and wild  sounds with those.. ;) 
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Online Hellfire

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Have you messed around with combining sounds with the layer A & B yet or using the dynamic pitch, level, and decay? You can get pretty close to mimicking other drum sounds with all that stuff.
Oh yeah.. and it rocks big time.  You can get some really expressive and wild  sounds with those.. ;)
Yes you can. Also, I just wanted to mention that there is a new topic up under the VST and MIDI heading called DM10 Custom User Kit Downloads Area. So, all of you guy making custom kits now have a place to put your sysex files so others can try them out. ;)

Offline Guinness

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
Hey all,

How to?  I want to try that for my hi-hats.  I suppose the "how" part is just looking at the screen and messing with it.  i'm at work, so I can't do that at the moment.

By the way, the conversation has taken an interesting turn.  We're in the 'quality issues' thread.  I wonder if it would make sense to create a Tweaking thread, were folks give tips on turning craptastic into gold.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:02:42 PM by Guinness »

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
Anyway, for those who owned a dm5, DM10 has many more hi-hat sounds which are more realistic too ...

Niktas, maybe you are pointing an interesting issue since i play very often with my play along mp3, i didn't take it in consideration. I will test it tonight but i remember that touching the hi-hat trigger was the starting point for blank screen  ???

The eq off makes a big difference in the hat sounds. Thanks for that tip. It doesn't sound like a chunk of metal being hit on quite a few of the hat sounds now. When I said awful I meant compared to other voices on the module. You are right, the dm10 sounds are much better then the dm5 and a ton more to choose from.

I received my email back from alesis this morning. There reply asked when I purchased my module, if I purchased new or used, and I have a year warranty to call for an rma if I want to fix the screen issue. Only bad thing is going without playing till I get said new module or mine repaired back from them. I'm just wondering if its something just starting to surface that they haven't fixed yet cause not enough people have experienced it etc.

Can't wait for the downloads as my hearing over the years of loud playing and not wearing protection is starting to catch up with me.... Makes it hard to get the sounds tweaked lol. Thanks for the link Hellfire.

Offline Guinness

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:16:09 PM »
What?

Can you hear me now?   ;D

I shouldn't make fun... my hearing is damaged also. 

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
What?

Can you hear me now?   ;D

I shouldn't make fun... my hearing is damaged also.

lol that's about how it is lately. that or it seems I mumble when I talk. To me I'm talking normal though lol

Offline DeeDubs

DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »
Hey all,

How to?  I want to try that for my hi-hats.  I suppose the "how" part is just looking at the screen and messing with it.  i'm at work, so I can't do that at the moment.

By the way, the conversation has taken an interesting turn.  We're in the 'quality issues' thread.  I wonder if it would make sense to create a Tweaking thread, were folks give tips on turning craptastic into gold.

If I remember correctly (at lunch @ work), there's an FX tab under the instrument edit menu, where you can turn off the compressor/eq.
Typically compression is great for larger than life drums but washes out cymbals if not used correctly. For example FM radio by nature is highly compressed, and can make an otherwise good recording sound terrible. This is why mastering guys get the big bucks ;)

The DM10 seems to have presets for compression and eq, which are tied together somehow. I'm still investigating this - stay tuned. 8)

~D~

P.S. can we migrate this thread?

Online Hellfire

Re: DM10 Tweaking
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »

Sorry ungoliant, I wasn't sure which topic to put yours in and it was easier to move it to this topic because it was in the middle of the other posts for tweaking.

For everybody else, here's your new thread. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:12:36 PM by Hellfire »