Author Topic: Dual Zone Snare Question  (Read 3009 times)

Dual Zone Snare Question
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
OK -- I thought I had read somewhere here on the forum how to properly set up the snare to get the rim shot and snares. But either I am not searching properly... or Google is no longer my friend!

What channel am I supposed to plus the 2nd zone into (DM5)?

Thanks,  Tom

PS...  Is Alesis the best place to buy an additional drum and cymbal?

Online Hellfire

Re: Dual Zone Snare Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
OK -- I thought I had read somewhere here on the forum how to properly set up the snare to get the rim shot and snares. But either I am not searching properly... or Google is no longer my friend!

What channel am I supposed to plus the 2nd zone into (DM5)?

Thanks,  Tom

PS...  Is Alesis the best place to buy an additional drum and cymbal?
Plug the second zone into any open input you have on your DM5. You will then need to program the sound you want for that second zone. That's pretty much all there is to it.  All the inputs on a DM5 can be pretty much what ever you want them to be. Just because an input say "snare" doesn't mean it can't be used as a cymbal. ;) I hope this helps.

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »
I totally agree with Phil. Some years ago I owned a DM5 drum module and, to what I can remember, usually the last three trigger inputs (10, 11 & 12) were factory assigned to some percussion sounds on most kits.
Now, if you use a 'regular' 5-piece drumset with cymbals, use the second output from your dual zone snare pad (the rim) to plug input 11 or 12 and - maybe using "note chase' on - find that input and change it to the sound you want.
I usually left input 10 for the ride bell sound and 11 for a fourth tom pad, so 12 is perfect for the snare rim...
Or expand your inputs with any external midi trigger i/o device...  ;)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »

Plug the second zone into any open input you have on your DM5. You will then need to program the sound you want for that second zone. That's pretty much all there is to it.  All the inputs on a DM5 can be pretty much what ever you want them to be. Just because an input say "snare" doesn't mean it can't be used as a cymbal. ;) I hope this helps.

That indeeds helps (though it's what I figured).

And Pier....  thank you for the input as well....  now if I only knew what a extrenal midi trigger i/o device exactly was!    :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:04:17 PM by FUBTAG »

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
....  now if I only knew what a extrenal midi trigger i/o device exactly was!    :D

;D ;D ;D
Ummmmh... let's see if something comes to my mind.....
Oh, yeah! What about THIS ONE in example:

http://www.alesis.com/triggerio

;D ;D ;D

P.S. - You own a Y-stereo cable, don't You?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:33:12 PM by Pier »