Author Topic: DM5 Thoughts  (Read 2760 times)

DM5 Thoughts
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:30 AM »
Well -- I bought the drums back in January, kept in a box until the purchase of my new home was complete. Last Friday, I had a chance to break open the box and set it up.

Set up was a breeze. The directions were clear enough to make it an relatively easy process. I had it up and playing within an hour's time.

I have played drums off and on for a few years now, but has been about 5 years since any serious drumming. It took a little while to get used to the sizes of the drum heads and how to angle them (is there any better way to make it seem more oriented as a real set would be?) but in all...   I really like the set.

The sounds are decent. The response (so far) is pretty good out of the box. I hope to research here and else where for tweaking tips and tricks. Getting my chops back relatively quickly, I was impressed last night with how it all tracked. I even had my daughter banging on the toms while I played hi hat/snare/bass and it all held up pretty well.

I am really happy with this set. It's a great starting point for a drummer looking to get into the electronic realm.

Now off to find some hints...... 

Offline Guinness

Re: DM5 Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
Cool!

Ya, it's taken me awhile and a lot of tweaking to get the my kit where I want it.  Actually, it still isn't how my accoustic kit was, but either I'm getting used to it, or it's close. 

Have fun!

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
Cool!

Ya, it's taken me awhile and a lot of tweaking to get the my kit where I want it.  Actually, it still isn't how my accoustic kit was, but either I'm getting used to it, or it's close. 

Have fun!

I know that it won't ever be an acoustic kit.. but for my project studio there is no better fit (except maybe the DM10) .. I am setting up the room to be hopefulyl be an easy place to put down some of the musical ideas I get from time to time.

Do you have any specific tweaks that you can point me to for the kit?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
any cross talk issues?  If so, stuff old cotton t-shirts in the tubes.

As for fit, i recall with my dm5, I loosened everything just enough that I could play it and it wouldn't move, but if I pulled hard, I could move the tom or snare. Gave me the flexibility to adjust on the fly.  then, once I kinda had it like I wanted, I tightened everything up.

Look at pics of other's kits.  when I set up my DM10, I never liked where the snare was, but was getting used to it.  then I saw  pic of mazzith's kit, and realized my snare needed to move.  when I made that change, it felt a lot better.  It's all about trial and error.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:29:52 AM by Guinness »

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:54:55 PM »
I don't own the new Alesis real-head pads (so I don't know their exact dimensions and shapes), but starting from my little past experience: did you ever considered a traditional 3-arms snare stand just for the snare pad?
I currently use it with an old Simmons stereo pad, and it works just fine: no crosstalk whatsoever (of course...!) and I can angle my pad exactly as I want.
An important piece of kit like the snare could deserve such a treatment, after all. Rimshots whenever you wish without changing a bit your drumming technique or your posture...

Just my opinion, btw

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
I don't own the new Alesis real-head pads (so I don't know their exact dimensions and shapes), but starting from my little past experience: did you ever considered a traditional 3-arms snare stand just for the snare pad?
I currently use it with an old Simmons stereo pad, and it works just fine: no crosstalk whatsoever (of course...!) and I can angle my pad exactly as I want.
An important piece of kit like the snare could deserve such a treatment, after all. Rimshots whenever you wish without changing a bit your drumming technique or your posture...

Just my opinion, btw

As I was sitting behind the drums last night, I indeed had the same thought.    ;D

The more I play this set, the more I really like it. I have not experienced the issues I see brought up here on the forum.. and the times I do (such as the hi hat)   It's more technique then the drums itself.  I REALLY like the hi hat responsiveness, and with practice it will only get better.