Author Topic: Product Suggestions for the DM10  (Read 4332 times)

Product Suggestions for the DM10
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Hi all,

I read in a post that Alesis(Dan) would be happy to hear about product suggestions. Is it worth having a section for this? I have a motive for this as I have run into a slight problem that I feel could be easily resolved and would be more than happy for Alesis(the company) to use.

Basically, I am having a minor problem with my DM10 (still waiting for it to be exchanged) whereby I am having to perform a factory reset on a regular basis. This is resulting in all my custom kits / sequences etc being erased.

I've used the utility to update the DM10 firmware  & sound sets, surely it would be a relatively easy and very useful function for this to be a two-way street, i.e. be able to back up the DM10 via the USB connection and save all the custom work back to the PC?

Anyone?

Offline Guinness

Re: Product Suggestions for the DM10
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
this could also for the the DM20 thread.

Can you save to a flash drive via usb?  I suppose that's the same as USB out you're referring to.

It seems, from my simple point of view, that this feature could be added with a simple firmware update. 

As with any NEW design, opportunity  for improvements are uncovered, and I'm assuming Alesis is interested in said improvements because they had the forethought of USB and updatable firmware.

In other words, the DM10 we have today, could be improved tomorrow.  :)  (At least I hope so.   ;D )

I can't wait to get my hands on mine!  I keep staring at the empty spot in my game room.  It needs a kit there.  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »
Hey G,

Saving to a flash drive would be OK by me too; I'd still back that up to my PC also!

I too think it would be a simple mod, I do this type of thing all the time with other usb (& ethernet) enabled devices at work.

Don't know about you G, but I'd be more than happy for Alesis (both) to take these ideas and incorporate them into their product. I would not even want a mention in the credits  ;D. Another good idea would be the facility to program accomp sequences on the PC and upload. It's possible to record a midi sequece playing on the PC directly to the DM10 by hitting 'Record', but a win/mac based programming utility would be MUCH less hassle.

Please don't talk about DM20 yet. I've only just bought the DM10  :o

Off topic, but how you getting on picking up the sticks after so long? Its harder than I remember! How long did you lay 'em down for?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:00:45 PM by MoonlightBob »

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
Hi all,

I read in a post that Alesis(Dan) would be happy to hear about product suggestions. Is it worth having a section for this? I have a motive for this as I have run into a slight problem that I feel could be easily resolved and would be more than happy for Alesis(the company) to use.

Basically, I am having a minor problem with my DM10 (still waiting for it to be exchanged) whereby I am having to perform a factory reset on a regular basis. This is resulting in all my custom kits / sequences etc being erased.

I've used the utility to update the DM10 firmware  & sound sets, surely it would be a relatively easy and very useful function for this to be a two-way street, i.e. be able to back up the DM10 via the USB connection and save all the custom work back to the PC?

Anyone?

There is a MIDI backup utility called SysEx.  This is available for Mac or PC.  You can basically 'dump' all your settings from any MIDI device (in whole or in parts - the method varies by device).  And it is a two way process, you can upload the settings back onto the device.

Much like anything else, this will take:
software to use (free)
Understanding of the process
Time to learn.

First time I learned SysEx backups / restores it took me a few hours.  And each device is slightly different.

The core of the operation goes like this:
Hook up MIDI cables (or in the case of my Trigger IO, I can use the USB cable that can also send MIDI signal.  I would assume the DM10 would be similar).
Load up the SysEx software on your computer.
set up the SysEx to receive mode (read the docs on the software)
then set the module to send the MIDI info.

to restore, is the same, but set the module to receive and the SysEx software to send.

Here's what a google search brought up:
http://www.patchmanmusic.com/SysexUtilities.html
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Alesis

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »

There is a MIDI backup utility called SysEx.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Two programs I'm aware of are SysEx Librarian (Mac) and MIDI OX (PC), both of which are shareware.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »
SysEx...  didn't think of that.  I used it when I updated my DM5.

i still think a flash drive is easier.  :)

Don't know about you G, but I'd be more than happy for Alesis (both) to take these ideas and incorporate them into their product. I would not even want a mention in the credits  ;D .

"There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan

Off topic, but how you getting on picking up the sticks after so long? Its harder than I remember! How long did you lay 'em down for?

Hmmm... let's see.  I played all throughout college, graduated in 1993.  Then played sporatically until about 8 years ago, where I think I played once.  (Wife was out of town and I set up my kit.)

Then, of course, I played quite a bit when I got my DM5 in January.  It was a bit different, and some of hte old songs I used to play I found myself saying "Wait... how does that go again?"   Some tunes I just fell right in like it was nothing.   For example, i used to be able to play Tom Sawyer pretty well.  I tried on the DM5, and I was messing up all over the place.  "Wow, I'm rusty!"   On the contrary, played some old GnR, and had no misses.

I'm looking forward to getting back on that horse again!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:19:52 AM by Guinness »

Offline goony

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
I would like to see some sort of DM10 kit librarian software, to enable fast, moving around of those possible 100 different kits..
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline ghostman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on mine!  I keep staring at the empty spot in my game room.  It needs a kit there.  :)

HAHA!  I just started putting my kit back together in my newly remodeled game room, too!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
I would like to see some sort of DM10 kit librarian software, to enable fast, moving around of those possible 100 different kits..

and for the IO.  I'd like to see this as well.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
Heck, I just looked at using MIDI OX. Now I work in IT, but is MIDI (or MIDI OX) as hard to fathom as it looks?

Where do you start to simply backup your DM10 config???

I'm feeling a bit dumb!

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Heck, I just looked at using MIDI OX. Now I work in IT, but is MIDI (or MIDI OX) as hard to fathom as it looks?

I'm feeling a bit dumb!

check out the DM10 operators manual starting on page 31.
Backing up is under SYSX(F1). 
Restore is in page 34, and it mentions midiox or SysExLibrarian
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Online Hellfire

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »

I'm feeling a bit dumb!

Since this topic dovetails with another one in the VST and MIDI category, I thought I would link to it from here:

Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »

I'm feeling a bit dumb!

Not really much detail in the manual. Midi OX is a bit unhelpfull for a midi newbie. How do you do it?

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
MIDI-OX may look daunting, but it's actually pretty easy. I assume the DM10 manual tells you how to send the sysex dump, so I'll tell you how to have MIDI-OX receive it:
1) Click on Actions->Send->Sysex File
2) Click cancel on the dialog
3) In the Sysex View window that popped up, click Sysex->Receive Manual Dump
4) When data is done sending, click the done button.
5) Click either the command window or display window (I forget which one will have data)->save and save your date. Done!

The reverse is even easier. Put your DM10 in receive mode (I think it's ready to receive at any time), repeat step 1, and in the dialog select your file.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
thanks, I now have a sysex file. its only 1770 bytes, does that sound correct?

I'll reset and have a go at restoring and let you know.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
Nope, no joy restoring.

No error messages, no progress messages, no nothing.

I assume I'm supposed to use the alesis utility as per the manual?

Thanks for help.