Author Topic: DM 5 Don't Wanna Jive  (Read 5700 times)

DM 5 Don't Wanna Jive
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
Hello lady and gentlemen of the forum. This is quite a place you have here. I'm not one to just jump on in to any ol forum, but like I said, this is quite a place you have here. And I'm sure that someone here can help me with my problemo.
I have a DM5 that keeps giving me a hard time. It's like it keeps cutting out. It started out as just a random "here and there" type thing, but once I killed the power to it and fired it back up, it had slipped into a digital coma. The display was on, but blank. The unit was unresponsive and the note-chase and voice buttons were blinking simultaneously. That was the end. Or was it?
The next day I started messing with it a little bit and forgot to shut it off. An hour or so later, I saw that the display was readable and the flashing lights would respond to the buttons I pushed. After a while, the preview button worked and all the trigger inputs worked just fine.
Man, I plugged all the triggers back in and reassigned a few things, and cool... It was fine. Rockin and a rollin.
Until the power supply was unplugged. AARRGGHH!
So today the unit cuts out when it's triggered. It was flashing at me a few minutes ago, but right now it is unresponsive with "ALESIS DM5" on the display.
I'm sorry about the long description, but I figured the more yall knew about it, the more you wouldn't not know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A12
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline Guinness

Re: DM 5 Don't Wanna Jive
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
That doesn't sound good.  I don't have the answer... sorry.  However, I'm sure someone here has experienced that here and can help.

Next..  Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of good people here to help, chat, whatever.   

Enjoy!

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
That sounds rather wonky.  Of all the random explosions (exaggeration of course) my DM5 has suffered, nothing has ever been to quite that level.  One thing you may want to try (assuming you haven't already) is plugging the module in somewhere else (whether it be a different location in the house, someone else's house, etc.)

Maybe some electrical genius could explain it, unfortunately I can not.  But I can say that my DM5 had much different results from when it was plugged into various locations around the house.  Whether it be the same outlet directly into the wall or through a powerstrip, the likely hood of my DM5's freeze up (that was my DM5's ailment...the random lock up) would change.

It did get to a point where I could pretty much predict what would cause it under each plug's circumstances (til I found one that made it pretty much least likely to happen with my play style)

Aside from that, did you get the module used or new?  If used, it would be a good thing to ask the previous owner about, see if there's anything they can say.  Especially if you explain you're not angry, just looking for some assistance.

If it's new enough, I'm sure you could get it warranty replaced

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:10 AM »
it could be a tundra of things but one thing to check is your firmware chip make sure its seated in the socket well.  If your not comfortable find a techy buddy of yours .when you pop the top off your dm5 youll see a rectangular chip  its possible it is going bad . heres a link for replacement parts http://www.instrumentalparts.com/aldm5mosppa.html
 14 bucks fairly cheap part but also shows you what it looks like so you can find it on your dm5 and as myron said pluging it in a differnt place as electrical interference can play havoc with computer based stuff. the firmware chip basiclly hold the programming software that makes the dm5 function so my guess is there you can concur with the alesis techs as well there great to work with as i am a electronic tech myself ive had my dm5 for about 6 years and havent had a problem with it ( consider myself lucky) let me know if this helps or other problems arise i might be able to point you in the right direction and welcome to the forum

dan
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:01:41 AM by WOUND4SOUND »
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
::cough:: DM10 ::cough, cough::

;D

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
Wow. This is really helpful. I went and took a look at those parts lists, and man... Let me tell ya. Not only was the DM5 on the list, but they also carry parts for my D4, my iDM02's, I also have an Alesis Qs6 synth that I might break some day... Oh. I think I remember seeing Kawai on that list too. And I just happen to have some old drum machines (R-50, R-50e, and R-100) that work perfectly, but still... They may not the next time I plug one in.
And I really need to take the time to visit that DIY section. Because I like to DIM.
Does that chip just pull out of a socket? Man. If so, I can handle that. Because I'm one of those guys that can really desolder a lot of crap just by thinking about it. The last time I soldered something, I think I might have desoldered nearby plumbing fittings.
But I appreciate ya, Wound4Sound. You and Myron and Guinness...
Guinness is not only a good beer. A friend of mine stained my baseboards with it once. A nice dark, rich tone. Too bad my baseboards were white. And he used the "freshly splashed" technique by actually dropping an open bottle on the floor. Not recommended.
Thanks.
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
::cough:: DM10 ::cough, cough::

;D
You okay, buddy? Thought I heard someone coughing over here.... maybe not...
A12

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »

Does that chip just pull out of a socket? Man. If so, I can handle that. Because I'm one of those guys that can really desolder a lot of crap just by thinking about it. The last time I soldered something, I think I might have desoldered nearby plumbing fittings.

I don't know for sure, but usually, chips like this are in a base, where you can pull it out.  It might take a good tug to get it out.   But if it's soldered to the main board, then, ya, you'll have to do some reverse soldering.  Go to Radio shack, they'll help ya.

Guinness is not only a good beer. A friend of mine stained my baseboards with it once. A nice dark, rich tone. Too bad my baseboards were white. And he used the "freshly splashed" technique by actually dropping an open bottle on the floor. Not recommended.
Thanks.

Guinness as Stain... interesting idea!  I wonder if there's a Market for that.  I ought to call Home Depot.  :)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
actually that is in a removable base most every fireware chip or processor is in this type it makes for fast upgrades just make sure when you take it out you pull evenly and when puttingit back in aling the pins and push evenly and firmly and touch the sides of the unit before touching and componets ( ie static cling thing)

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »
actually that is in a removable base most every fireware chip or processor is in this type it makes for fast upgrades just make sure when you take it out you pull evenly and when puttingit back in aling the pins and push evenly and firmly and touch the sides of the unit before touching and componets ( ie static cling thing)
Wow. Thanks. So... You make it sound like these can be swapped out with a more modern chip or something. To upgrade. Which puts my brain into "experiment" mode. With interchangeable chips like this, does that mean that each pin has a "universal" function? Like a chip the same size with the same amount of pins performs the same basic duties? Or does everything change inside the chip itself? Like plugging an appliance wired for 120v into a 240v socket. It looks exactly the same, does basically the same thing, but everything changes inside the unit itself. And bad things begin to happen.
I don't know if I'm making myself clear, so basically... What would happen if I were to pull a chip out of something else that had one that looks just like it with the same amount of pins, would I be able to use that working chip to determine whether or not that is the problem?   
Aarrghh. I still sound confusing. Can I swap out the chip with one I have in something else?
A12

Offline Guinness

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
I'm going to take a wild guess and say... NO!   Only chips programmed for that board, will work properly in that board.  I believe there's ROM on that chip specifically for the DM5. Using any ol' chip that fits would probably not work.

Having said that, I could be quite wrong... but I doubt it.  :D

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 05:52:52 AM »
you would be correct on that guiness that chip is a eprom it is a loadable type it is programmed specificlly for the dm5 sometimes manufactors come out with a upgrade which will bring it to a newer version as with the dm10 you can update the firmware with a download eproms are old school you find it more in industral apps than consumer products

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »
While we're on the subject of electronic junk that wouldn't work, would I be able to replace my DM-PRO LCD with the DM5 LCD from the site you linked to Wound4sound?  My LCD has been acting up (and actually had an issue when I got it) so I was wondering if that might theoretically be a suitable replacement.  Obviously my preferred method would be another DM PRO LCD, but I can't seem to find one online

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
While we're on the subject of electronic junk that wouldn't work, would I be able to replace my DM-PRO LCD with the DM5 LCD from the site you linked to Wound4sound?  My LCD has been acting up (and actually had an issue when I got it) so I was wondering if that might theoretically be a suitable replacement.  Obviously my preferred method would be another DM PRO LCD, but I can't seem to find one online
yes it would the dm5 and dm pro share quite a few of the same componets as with the dm4 the nice thing about this its a pcb assembly so its a easy swap out
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:58:44 AM by WOUND4SOUND »

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
Wow. Thanks. So... You make it sound like these can be swapped out with a more modern chip or something. To upgrade. Which puts my brain into "experiment" mode. With interchangeable chips like this, does that mean that each pin has a "universal" function? Like a chip the same size with the same amount of pins performs the same basic duties? Or does everything change inside the chip itself? Like plugging an appliance wired for 120v into a 240v socket. It looks exactly the same, does basically the same thing, but everything changes inside the unit itself. And bad things begin to happen. don't know if I'm making myself clear, so basically... What would happen if I were to pull a chip out of something else that had one that looks just like it with the same amount of pins, would I be able to use that working chip to determine whether or not that is the problem? Aarrghh. I still sound confusing. Can I swap out the chip with one I have in something else?

I was wondering this myself, ie swapping out a D4 eprom for a D5 eprom as the modules are so similar. Yes the LCD display wouldn't be the same but I wonder if any differences in the basic functionality between the two would be functional..

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 09:23:42 AM »
Wow. Thanks. So... You make it sound like these can be swapped out with a more modern chip or something. To upgrade. Which puts my brain into "experiment" mode. With interchangeable chips like this, does that mean that each pin has a "universal" function? Like a chip the same size with the same amount of pins performs the same basic duties? Or does everything change inside the chip itself? Like plugging an appliance wired for 120v into a 240v socket. It looks exactly the same, does basically the same thing, but everything changes inside the unit itself. And bad things begin to happen. don't know if I'm making myself clear, so basically... What would happen if I were to pull a chip out of something else that had one that looks just like it with the same amount of pins, would I be able to use that working chip to determine whether or not that is the problem? Aarrghh. I still sound confusing. Can I swap out the chip with one I have in something else?

I was wondering this myself, ie swapping out a D4 eprom for a D5 eprom as the modules are so similar. Yes the LCD display wouldn't be the same but I wonder if any differences in the basic functionality between the two would be functional..
you cant swap a dm4 for a dm5 or vice versa there are quite a bit of difference in the circuts for both and it would render your dm inoperatable not to mention the software on the eproms are totally different

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
Well.... Here I go. Gonna bite the bullet. Unless anyone can come up with another reason my DM5 is acting the way it is, I'm gonna go ahead and put off that newspaper I've been saving for and buy the chip thing. Yup. Gonna see what happens.
I appreciate all of you responding to my question. That is really cool of yall to offer advice to those of us who are on the outside. I wish I would have baked yall some cookies or something.
Thanks.
A12

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »
Well.... Here I go. Gonna bite the bullet. Unless anyone can come up with another reason my DM5 is acting the way it is, I'm gonna go ahead and put off that newspaper I've been saving for and buy the chip thing. Yup. Gonna see what happens.
I appreciate all of you responding to my question. That is really cool of yall to offer advice to those of us who are on the outside. I wish I would have baked yall some cookies or something.
Thanks.
thats very kind of you bro can you throw some guiness in with that ....lol if you need firther help just shoo tme a email i can give ya my number and walk you threw it