Author Topic: Strike Module with Surge kit cymbal problems  (Read 657 times)

Strike Module with Surge kit cymbal problems
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »
I'm using the Strike module with a Surge Mesh kit and have problems with "dual zone" cymbals (single zone with choke). Since they have a choke strip in them, somehow the Strike thinks I have a 2nd zone and randomly triggers the edge or in case of the Ride, the bell. But it's not consistent with the shape, so pretty useless and more annoying. E.g. the ride makes a bell sound if I hit the second choke bumb from the right or another penny size spot on the bow to the left. It happens regardless of trigger setting (piezo or switch)... If I try to disable the edge by changing sensitivity or other stuff, they just become mute spots, which is worse. Is there any way to fix it while keeping choke function? So far the only thing that worked is to dumb the pads down to mono using a splitter cable. I also modified the kits to have the same sound for all zones... which is sad.
Is this normal btw, or something wrong with my module? If normal, is there anything I could do to make this usable? Like peel back the rubber and change the position of the choke strip or install another one, to make them properly 2 zone (hh and crash with edge)?

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Module with Surge kit cymbal problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:29:20 PM »
I'm using the Strike module with a Surge Mesh kit and have problems with "dual zone" cymbals (single zone with choke). Since they have a choke strip in them, somehow the Strike thinks I have a 2nd zone and randomly triggers the edge or in case of the Ride, the bell. But it's not consistent with the shape, so pretty useless and more annoying. E.g. the ride makes a bell sound if I hit the second choke bumb from the right or another penny size spot on the bow to the left. It happens regardless of trigger setting (piezo or switch)... If I try to disable the edge by changing sensitivity or other stuff, they just become mute spots, which is worse. Is there any way to fix it while keeping choke function? So far the only thing that worked is to dumb the pads down to mono using a splitter cable. I also modified the kits to have the same sound for all zones... which is sad.
Is this normal btw, or something wrong with my module? If normal, is there anything I could do to make this usable? Like peel back the rubber and change the position of the choke strip or install another one, to make them properly 2 zone (hh and crash with edge)?

The STRIKE module is optimized for the STRIKE cymbals and drums...
The STRIKE cymbals are much larger with the edge/switch and the bow/piezo are on opposite sides of the cymbal..more than 10" apart which is a much greater distance than the Surge 10" cymbal which the Bow/piezo and edge/switch are a couple inches apart so they are much more sensitive to one another as you have a much smaller area of separation.
What are you using for a Ride?..the STRIKE requires a 2 cable cymbal (Bell & Bow from Ride 1 input and Edge from Ride 2 input)
You are going to have to lower the sensitivity a lot and raise the threshold until you get the right combination.
Another thing you can try is you can adjust the entire drumkit's sensitivity with one setting.. Press the UTILITY button then press F3-TRIGGER.
Change the TRIG SENSITIVITY setting (LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH)....Try LOW..

The edge/choke switch are the same thing and glued in place.If you try to remove or reposition you surely will break them.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »
Thanks! I'm using the Surge cymbals, so single+choke 10in. I just don't understand why it's not consistent with the location, but you may be right that it's because of the size and the placing of the piezo. I just wish the module would have a setting to disable zones. Removing their sound just make them trigger mute, but what I'd like to achieve is what the Surge module does, that it only responds to choking. I haven't been able to achieve this, if I lower the sensitivity of the edge, it will still "think" I hit edge in those spots and will be mute. I tried to max out the Bow sensitivity, too. Hoping if I hit it anywhere, play bow, hold it with hand: choke. So I wonder if there is any way to make it choke-only (either by settings or electronicly).

Or make it into a working edge. Since this strip was never meant to be that (only 2" wide), I wonder how it would do if I replace it with another one (goedrum or whatever) that's longer. Roland does have a 12" 3-zone ride, so maybe 2 zones could still fit on 10". If it can't be used as a functioning choke without other issues, I don't mind breaking it, though I have some gue off.

Thing is I have limited space and can't have 16" stuff. Also Alesis is selling the module separately kinda saying it will work with anything, lol.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:54:14 AM by doraemon »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:14:29 PM »
Thanks! I'm using the Surge cymbals, so single+choke 10in. I just don't understand why it's not consistent with the location, but you may be right that it's because of the size and the placing of the piezo. I just wish the module would have a setting to disable zones. Removing their sound just make them trigger mute, but what I'd like to achieve is what the Surge module does, that it only responds to choking. I haven't been able to achieve this, if I lower the sensitivity of the edge, it will still "think" I hit edge in those spots and will be mute. I tried to max out the Bow sensitivity, too. Hoping if I hit it anywhere, play bow, hold it with hand: choke. So I wonder if there is any way to make it choke-only (either by settings or electronicly).

I have a number of these cymbals and just tried them and they work as expected...dots=edge..anything outside of it is bow.
If you want to disable a zone  go into voice and set the level to zero.I also tested in Ride 1 ..as expected Bow and Bell on the choke , if you don't want the bell sound assign an edge articulation.
Maxing out sensitivity is the worst thing to do , it just makes the lightest touches max out the velocity of the voice.This is the mistake I see everywhere..you want the lowest sensitivity and the highest threshold possible otherwise you start having other issues with triggering.

Or make it into a working edge. Since this strip was never meant to be that (only 2" wide), I wonder how it would do if I replace it with another one (goedrum or whatever) that's longer. Roland does have a 12" 3-zone ride, so maybe 2 zones could still fit on 10". If it can't be used as a functioning choke without other issues, I don't mind breaking it, though I have some gue off.

Depending on who manufacturers the membrane switch or what you are putting it on an edge trigger has to flex,I have a large inventory of the Myrks which are usually recommended on top of a piece of foam or double stick tape,users use to install on top of a cymbal to get them to work ,but striking them directly leads to premature failure.I haven't tried any of the 180/360 Goedrum membrane switches but they are usually on a metal cymbal which flexes.

Thing is I have limited space and can't have 16" stuff. Also Alesis is selling the module separately kinda saying it will work with anything, lol.

The module does support pretty much anything , I have used it with older,newer,DIY ..just watch for triggers with different wiring especially Yamaha...the 10" cymbals were never dual zone or advertised as dual zone just single or single +choke.They can be be used as dual zone but not full functionality , just as everyone using Roland Hi Hats with Alesis modules..the ranges are different , yes they will work but there are sacrifices...
There are Alesis 12" dual zone like the STRIKE Hi Hat top or the DMPad 12" "Cymbal"..not Hi Hat which is hard to find as they were discontinued.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
I have a number of these cymbals and just tried them and they work as expected...dots=edge..anything outside of it is bow.
If you want to disable a zone  go into voice and set the level to zero.

Thanks for testing! Then maybe my cymbals have some issue. Mine was only doing the edge on the 6th dot, lol. I raised the bow sens and managed to get it to a point it doesn't play edge outside of that dot (quarter inch area), but couldn't eliminate it fully. If I make the level zero it will just be mute there.
It was the most annoying on the ride, since the bell made a very distinct sound randomly.. But I moved the mono hihat over there and I have a 3d printed bell that works well via crash3.

Have you tried any Rolands? What do you mean by sacrifice? I was actually looking at the CY12cr, or the CY12H for hihat.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
Have you tried any Rolands? What do you mean by sacrifice? I was actually looking at the CY12cr, or the CY12H for hihat.

Roland Hi Hat tops are fine ..it's the controllers that have different ranges...STRIKE HI HAT

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
Thanks, I just want the bow-edge to work properly. I already got the goedrum controller.