Author Topic: Suggestions for Hi hat replacement using the strike pro module  (Read 821 times)

Suggestions for Hi hat replacement using the strike pro module
« on: December 02, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »
Long time lurker and first time poster here so hello to all!
So i have officially reached the end of the road with my original strike pro hi hats and I'm wondering what would be the best option to replace them with.
Is there any particular model that will perform well with the strike pro module?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Re: Suggestions for Hi hat replacement using the strike pro module
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
The Roland VH-11 is wonderful with the Strike module, and in general. One popped up on my local Craigslist and I grabbed it. The cymbal and controller are so much more responsive. If I'm not mistaken someone on here was using the VH-11 for some time for live performances but switched back to their Gen16 hi-hat.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
A lot of people have had luck with the GoEdrum hi-hat controller.  I ordered one almost immediately after getting my Strike back in 2018, but to me, there was too much of a "dead zone" between fully closed and semi-open.  I never really got it dialed in the way I wanted.  I even tried a Roland VH-11, with better results.

I had a set of Gen16 A/E's with my previous kit, and had used the hi-hat with that one a few times.  I think that's what ruined me, the responsiveness of playing an acoustic, but I could send it electronically to our mixer.  I eventually sold the VH-11 and went full-time with the Gen16.  With my new band, we just mic the hi-hat, so I'm basically just using a low-volume acoustic.  If you have the ability, I feel like it's the best way to go. 

--
Shawn.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 02:30:51 PM »
The Roland VH-11 is wonderful with the Strike module, and in general. One popped up on my local Craigslist and I grabbed it. The cymbal and controller are so much more responsive. If I'm not mistaken someone on here was using the VH-11 for some time for live performances but switched back to their Gen16 hi-hat.

That may have been me!! LOL

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
lol, it was Iggford ^^^^^^ I was going to find the thread but he responded.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »

LOL, great minds, huh? 

I still stand by the Gen16, but I would never say the VH-11 was a bad option.  I think I just got spoiled on the way the acoustic feels, and I was able to make it work with my band.

--
Shawn.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »
Yes, the GoEdrum controller is not bad either. I used it for a while paired with the Strike cymbal as well. When I got the VH-11 I think I was most impressed with the Roland CY12 versus the Strike 12" cymbal, not the controller itself. If you check out the GoEdrum make sure it's the GHC-AN for Alesis.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 02:38:44 PM »

LOL, great minds, huh? 

I still stand by the Gen16, but I would never say the VH-11 was a bad option.  I think I just got spoiled on the way the acoustic feels, and I was able to make it work with my band.

--
Shawn.

I completely get what you're saying. The CY12 was a massive upgrade, to me, from the Strike 12" top cymbal. I'd imagine the Gen16 would be the same.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
I completely get what you're saying. The CY12 was a massive upgrade, to me, from the Strike 12" top cymbal. I'd imagine the Gen16 would be the same.

It was like a night and day difference.  I use an older Roland crash as a China right now, along with a CY-5 for a splash.  That's the one thing that has disappointed me with the Strike kit:  the cymbals.  They look amazing, but it almost feels like the rubber is too thick, making them less responsive.  I've also switched back to my DM10 ride after my Strike ride started acting up on me. 

I've ordered some triggers to convert the rest of my Gen16s to electric.  I wasn't quite as happy with them when used through the Gen16 processor, just couldn't get the right sound out of them.  But I figured I could still incorporate them into the kit!

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 10:20:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info
I would prefer the gen 16s but I currently use the kit to practice on. Like others i switched to the edrum controller and was never really satisfied but lately the trigger has had random delay which I assume is either a loose wire or piezo issue.  This is my first e kit and its been an adventure to say the least.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
The hi-hat has definitely been the weak point of the Strike kit.  Cymbals in general just don't feel quite as solid as even some of the earlier Alesis ones, to me anyway.  I've still had decent luck with them until recently. 

If you're looking to DIY some LV cymbals, the Gen16s may be a little pricier than you like.  I originally bought the pack because they could be hooked up to the pickup.  If I had known I'd just end up using a mic on the hi-hat and converting the others with triggers, I'd have gone with something considerably cheaper.  I am going to order a pack of L80s to finish out my conversion, and it will allow me to use the included hi-hats on my practice kit without having to transport my Gen16 hats every time, so I'll be able to see how they sound under a mic compared to the Gen16s.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 09:05:28 PM »
I ended up getting V-10s after talking with the folks at EDrums. They actually gave me a better price then what was listed online without asking and have free shipping. Hopefully this will be a nice upgrade.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
I've heard the VH-10s are a good solution also.  I went with the 11 because it was easier for me to find at the time, and I got a good deal by ordering with some other gear. 

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Follow up: received the 10's today and right out of the box without any adjustments to the module and they are amazing. I should have done this along time ago.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
Follow up: received the 10's today and right out of the box without any adjustments to the module and they are amazing. I should have done this along time ago.

That's great to hear!! :)