Author Topic: Using DM10 MKii voices on Strike module?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Joker47

Using DM10 MKii voices on Strike module?
« on: May 01, 2021, 10:20:26 PM »
I recently replaced my DM10 MKii Pro module with the strike module. Most everything is working and sounds fine, so far.
But I’ve noticed I can’t find a snare voice that I really like. What’s worse, the snare voice that I used on the DM10 MKii Pro was awesome.

Is there a way to pull the snare voice from the DM10 MKii Pro and put it in the Strike module? The voice(s) I would like to move is/are:
Snare head - 14”RockSnare
Snare-Stick - RockSnSt
Snare-Rim - 14”RickSnR

I did do a search here, and didn’t find anything helpful. But, I probably need better search terms.

Any help or input is always appreciated.

J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: Using DM10 MKii voices on Strike module?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
I recently replaced my DM10 MKii Pro module with the strike module. Most everything is working and sounds fine, so far.
But I’ve noticed I can’t find a snare voice that I really like. What’s worse, the snare voice that I used on the DM10 MKii Pro was awesome.

Is there a way to pull the snare voice from the DM10 MKii Pro and put it in the Strike module? The voice(s) I would like to move is/are:
Snare head - 14”RockSnare
Snare-Stick - RockSnSt
Snare-Rim - 14”RickSnR

I did do a search here, and didn’t find anything helpful. But, I probably need better search terms.

Any help or input is always appreciated.

J

Short answer..No
The DM10 MKII Pro and for the most part ALL drum modules do not export the onboard samples as the developers don't want their work distributed.
The STRIKE module is quite advanced and capable of loading/creating/editing any snare you want.
If you want that snare connect the DM10 MKII Pro output to the aux input on the STRIKE module and use the onboard sampler...trim it and save as an instrument.
You'll only be able to do a one shot for each layer which may be ok for the stick and rim ..but the center is more than likely going to machine gun.
You could use the newly created instrument as a B layer to an existing snare that sounds similar and see if you can blend it in the Voice settings, another option is record the DM10 MKII Pro into a DAW/Software , record multiple hits individually at different velocities..trim them then use the STRIKE Editor to create a multi-velocity instrument.

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
Thanks Chaser. I'll keep playing with the Strike module and see if I can find a voice for the snare/rim I really like. :-)

J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

Offline Joker47

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:14:01 PM »
Just to follow up here, I ended taking the easier route and hooked up my DM10 MKii Pro module along with the Strike module. I pulled the snare and the hi hat, (I want to use it for a different sound altogether.) off the DM10, and the rest of the kit from the Strike.
I got the snare I liked off the DM10, as well as the DM10 MKii hi hat setup for a “tambourine” sound. Works great, but of course I can’t hook my phone to play along.
But, this is good for now. I’ll probably go the mixer route with both modules eventually.

Thanks again for the help and info. 🙂

J

Just for fun:

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »
I've got the DM10 MKii Pro kit. Man, it's hard to find much on this kit anywhere which is really to bad as I really enjoy the kit. Wondering what kind of differences or benefits you've noticed using the Strike module?

Offline Joker47

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
I've got the DM10 MKii Pro kit. Man, it's hard to find much on this kit anywhere which is really to bad as I really enjoy the kit. Wondering what kind of differences or benefits you've noticed using the Strike module?

Well, in my VERY limited experience overall with E-drums and the Strike module in particular, I did notice that the sounds from the Strike seemed a bit more "natural", than the DM10 MKii Pro I originally had.
Editing sounds is about the same "difficulty" as the MKii Pro, just a different interface to learn.

My biggest complaint was the snare voices. The one used on the DM10 MKii was great. The tone and rimshots were exactly what I like. (I like loud and distinct rim shots.) I just wasn't able to configure one I liked as much. But, I am quite sure that I could have had I spent the time and was as experienced with editing voices as some on here.  :)
I just ended up attaching both the DM10 MKii and the Strike together, and ran the hi hat and snare out of the DM10 MKii, and everything else through the Strike. I ended up with a setup I am very happy with so far.
Once my mixer arrives, I'll be able to play along as well.

Hope this made some sense and was somewhat helpful. There are a lot of folks on here with FAR more experience that could give you a better, more technical review. :)

J
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:27:06 PM by Joker47 »

Just for fun: