Author Topic: Using bass speaker for amplification?  (Read 546 times)

Using bass speaker for amplification?
« on: October 13, 2023, 09:59:41 AM »
Hey all.
My first post.
I have a strike multipad and have been amping through the band's PA system, a Fender Passport 500w
But the bass player has pointed out that my bass notes, when playing loud, are making a little click noise, and he is bothered I might blow the speaker cones.
So I'm thinking of routing the pad, or at least the bass notes, through his Marshal bass amp. It's a beast, 300w 4 10", so I suspect it will handle it much better. But he is now also afraid I will blow up his bass amp!
Should I be not using either of these and buy a dedicated speaker for the pad  like a strike 12 or 8, or are we fretting unnecessarily?
We want to play in big pubs, so needs to be pretty loud, so would also be interested in feedback on the volume capabilities of the two Strike speaker options?
Cheers
Mark

Offline Chaser

Re: Using bass speaker for amplification?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 01:05:49 PM »
Hey all.
My first post.
I have a strike multipad and have been amping through the band's PA system, a Fender Passport 500w
But the bass player has pointed out that my bass notes, when playing loud, are making a little click noise, and he is bothered I might blow the speaker cones.
So I'm thinking of routing the pad, or at least the bass notes, through his Marshal bass amp. It's a beast, 300w 4 10", so I suspect it will handle it much better. But he is now also afraid I will blow up his bass amp!
Should I be not using either of these and buy a dedicated speaker for the pad  like a strike 12 or 8, or are we fretting unnecessarily?
We want to play in big pubs, so needs to be pretty loud, so would also be interested in feedback on the volume capabilities of the two Strike speaker options?
Cheers
Mark

Welcome to the Forum !!

You should use Amps specifically  for Drums..they are voiced differently and usualy a different range.
For Home use you can get away with others but Live/Performing...you are better off with the proper amp/range.

Check this Topic..Read the entire topic...there are also different manufacturers and options other than the STRIKE..what ever fits you budget...STRIKE AMP 12..ALTO TS312..HEADRUSH FRFR-112..which if you check are also inMusic pructs..so Re-Branded and for different uses (Guitar/Drums/PA)..but check the specs and the price.
You'll also see a lot of Pro e-drummers over at V-Drums using an "Array" or Mulitple Speakers/amps..once again..depends on Budget (usually they are High End $$$) and how much your back can take..space for transport etc etc..

SIMMONS also offers some great amps... a lot of improvements have been made for Drum Amps over the past few years.
You no longer have to lug around (multiple) super heavy amps with low wattage.SIMMONS is Guitar Center and usually honor the 25% Discount coupons..and it's getting to be that time of the year..Black Friday Deals..etc and they start earlier and earlier every year.
All the 2000 watt 12 amps are around the same price range...$300.00.
The STRIKE Amps were specific to the Product line so something to consider as No surprizes instead of mixing/matching and comparing all the specs..

EDIT:Added Links
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 01:30:10 PM by Chaser »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 03:53:46 PM »
SIMMONS also offers some great amps... a lot of improvements have been made for Drum Amps over the past few years.
You no longer have to lug around (multiple) super heavy amps with low wattage.SIMMONS is Guitar Center and usually honor the 25% Discount coupons..and it's getting to be that time of the year..Black Friday Deals..etc and they start earlier and earlier every year.

I have a pair of Simmons DA2112 and I really like them. I use them with an Alesis Strike module and don't have any issues. The bass response is really good, but if you want your chest to thump hard when you play you will need to pair it with a Sub.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 04:21:43 PM »

I have a pair of Simmons DA2112 and I really like them. I use them with an Alesis Strike module and don't have any issues. The bass response is really good, but if you want your chest to thump hard when you play you will need to pair it with a Sub.

SIMMONS has a matching sub.. the DA12S...
The only review I have ever seen was one a Guitar Center Review paired with (2) DA2110s...and a Youtube comparison Video Pairing the 2110 and 2112 with the 12s...which is difficult to really get an idea of how they sound unless you actually go to GC and see if they have a setup.
I kept watching to see if Alesis would come out with matching one....

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice
 Would you as say a sub is essential for live gigs, or would a strike 12 be sufficient on its own. I like in UK aka rip off Britain, so the strike 12 is equivalent $410 here. But Black Friday is a coming, so I just need to work out exactly which ones I want and then start hunting deals.
Thanks

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 09:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice
 Would you as say a sub is essential for live gigs, or would a strike 12 be sufficient on its own. I like in UK aka rip off Britain, so the strike 12 is equivalent $410 here. But Black Friday is a coming, so I just need to work out exactly which ones I want and then start hunting deals.
Thanks

That depends. Are you playing hip-hop/dance music and need people to feel like they are getting punched in the chest every time you hit your kick drum?
For general rock/metal I can't believe that it would be a necessity to have for a gig.

When I played out I never had a sub. Of course I never had dedicated drum amps either. I used a pair of Crate stage speakers with a 400 watt amp head. If I had the DA2112's back then I would have just used those.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 06:55:30 PM by Hellfire »