Author Topic: DM8 and the new Slate 5.5 software MAPPING  (Read 817 times)

DM8 and the new Slate 5.5 software MAPPING
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
Hi I am a brand new member.  I've had the DM8 kit for many years, bought it when it first came out.  I converted it to mesh with the 628 heads. 
I just installed the newest SSD software and loaded it into Pro Tools.   I ma having a real heck of a time figuring out how the mapping works.  I am doing the manual map, where you can simply click on the sound, and then hit a pad (MIDI LEARN) and it links it.  But there are way more things here than I have pads.   Getting Hihat closed sound while pressing pedal seems difficult to do.  Also when I choke my cymbals they make a snare sound?   Has anyone been able to map these so that they make sense and work?  I have searched all the threads and I do not find much about DM8 and slate.
So really my issues are hihats, and cymbals zones.  Thanks for any help folks.  I reached out to Steven Slate and he just sent me 2 videos which don't really help me. What I would crave is a detailed set of instructions. In the olden days we used to call that an Instruction Manual and it came with all new gear. And you held it in your hands.
gdizzle

Offline Chaser

Re: DM8 and the new Slate 5.5 software MAPPING
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
Hi I am a brand new member.  I've had the DM8 kit for many years, bought it when it first came out.  I converted it to mesh with the 628 heads. 
I just installed the newest SSD software and loaded it into Pro Tools.   I ma having a real heck of a time figuring out how the mapping works.  I am doing the manual map, where you can simply click on the sound, and then hit a pad (MIDI LEARN) and it links it.  But there are way more things here than I have pads.   Getting Hihat closed sound while pressing pedal seems difficult to do.  Also when I choke my cymbals they make a snare sound?   Has anyone been able to map these so that they make sense and work?  I have searched all the threads and I do not find much about DM8 and slate.
So really my issues are hihats, and cymbals zones.  Thanks for any help folks.  I reached out to Steven Slate and he just sent me 2 videos which don't really help me. What I would crave is a detailed set of instructions. In the olden days we used to call that an Instruction Manual and it came with all new gear. And you held it in your hands.
gdizzle

Good to see a DM8 is still around...don't hear or see too many any more..
The best thing to do is go through the module and  write down/create a default MIDI Key map/chart for the DM8. Kick-36..snare 38..snare rim -40..etc etc.
It will only take a few minutes..use note chase.Then you' find it much easier as you can right-click on any articulation in the left column and change the note assigned to the articulations/names(center column)...same with center column where the articulation names ,you can right click and scroll through the MIDI notes to assign.After doing it a few times you'll have them memorized..they should be close/similar to standard MIDI mapping. 
I couldn't find a MIDI note chart in the Alesis User Guide or I would have created a Keymap.

I don't know why Slate didn't give you the link for the manual..it's too large to attach to this post (5mb)

SSD5.5 User Manual

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Great info.  I did go through and write down the midi numbers.
  But I am still stuck with crash cymbal choke makes a snare hit, and the ride cymbal choke makes a hihat hit?? Any ideas?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 04:12:06 PM »
Great info.  I did go through and write down the midi numbers.
  But I am still stuck with crash cymbal choke makes a snare hit, and the ride cymbal choke makes a hihat hit?? Any ideas?

The DM8 doesn't send aftertouch for choke..so it looks like different MIDI notes are sent.
Have you tried MIDI learn for the different Chokes?

If you want to see which MIDI notes the DM8 Choke actually sends use MIDIOX (WIN)..or MIDI MONITOR (MacOS)
Once setup just squeeze the choke and you'll see which note is sent

SSD5.5
09  (A-2) China Choke
34  (A#0) Crash Left Choke
77  (F4) Crash Right Choke
81  (A4) Splash Choke

The Ride Choke is in Red in my version(FREE) so it hasn't been assigned a MIDI note..(normally 58)

EDIT:
Fixed bad link

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:21:04 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 01:52:16 PM »
Ok this has been very helpful.  The MIDI note stuff.   I still do not understand how the hihat pedal works etc... but I did at least get hihat pedal to make a closed sound when I press pedal down, I can hit the hihat while open and gives a open sound, and there seems to be some degrees of open vs closed.  I can not get it to splash the hats with foot.

So I want to update what I did, after 6 emails back n forth with Slate.  He kept telling me to go into Edit and then articulations section , then midi learn and it just wasnt working.

So I went to Map page, I choked the crash and I see which midi note (in Slate) it is, ..  It was a snare side.  So then I click and drag the Crash Choke down and plop it (to the left) on the snare side note and , boom, it works.   So the MIDI learn function seems to not really function like I thought it would.  And the manual process of dragging the note to the sound is the only thing that really works.  I had to do it for the ride as well.   Now on the ride, my DM8 ride is dual zone, has to cables.  I am able to get ride bell, and ride tip.  But I can not get a 3rd sound, like edge.   Mainly due to I don't think it sends out 2 different midi notes for edge vs tip.  It must use velocity to make the change in the DM8 brain.  So is it possible to get that to work in SLATE too??

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
Ok this has been very helpful.  The MIDI note stuff.   I still do not understand how the hihat pedal works etc... but I did at least get hihat pedal to make a closed sound when I press pedal down, I can hit the hihat while open and gives a open sound, and there seems to be some degrees of open vs closed.  I can not get it to splash the hats with foot.

Which Hi Hat is the DM8 setup for?The Realhat pedal (linear/softpot) or the Pro-X (FSR)
(I only ask in case you updated to the Pro-X(FSR..Trigger OS would show v1.01a if it is the Pro-X (FSR) ) and you are using a Realhat pedal,there are issues going from FSR back to Realhat.
The (2 pc) STRIKE Hi Hat uses the same Pro-X controller.

Check the Hi Hat settings and see if NOTE and CC#4 is sent or NOTE ONLY

If using CC#4 make sure the articulation in SSD5.5 for the OPEN Hi Hat (usually 46) is a CC articulation,not just Hi Hat open.
I don't know what the MIDI notes are for the DM8 as I have no chart or module but typically Hi Hat MIDI mappings

Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-hat Edge Open 26 (DUAL ZONE)
Hi-Hat Close 42
Hi-hat Edge Close 22 (DUAL ZONE)
Hi-Hat pedal 44
Splash 21

Now on the ride, my DM8 ride is dual zone, has to cables.  I am able to get ride bell, and ride tip.  But I can not get a 3rd sound, like edge.   Mainly due to I don't think it sends out 2 different midi notes for edge vs tip.  It must use velocity to make the change in the DM8 brain.  So is it possible to get that to work in SLATE too??

If it is a 2 cable cymbal it is Triple (3) zone.
Check the module and see if it is set to dual or triple zone...use note chase to see/screen if each zone changes when struck

One thing to note.. just a FYI
On majority of drum modules you can not change the MIDI notes or inputs in the module for the Hi Hat and the Ride...the notes for each are tied in a circuit for combinations.

EDIT:
Attached DM8 User Guide
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:10:04 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
I have the older style of hihat foot pedal.  Can't seem to get the hihat splash to work.  I see it in Slate, but if I drag it I do not know where to drop it?  For the Hihat in Slate I am using the one that says CC controlable.  Is that supposed to cover all the options on my hihats?
As for the ride, I do have it set to 3 zone, and it is sending CC and note.    But I cant seem to get Slate to separate the box vs the edge.    But there are so many options on slate I am lost as to which ones I am supposed to be using. eekkk

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »
I have the older style of hihat foot pedal.  Can't seem to get the hihat splash to work.  I see it in Slate, but if I drag it I do not know where to drop it?

The DM8 is a slimmed down version of the DM10 .The main differences from what I can remember were single zone toms and no 5pin MIDI out.
I don't remember if you could also access the extra MIDI notes as you could the DM10 and expand the DM8.Someone else will have to chime in on this.

The MIDI mapping should be similar if not the same.In the DM10 the splash is 55.You can check in MIDIOX , to splash is a sharp down/up on the pedal.

For the Hihat in Slate I am using the one that says CC controlable.  Is that supposed to cover all the options on my hihats?

You'll have to play around with whichever you like..there are a lot of variations in SSD5.5 ..CC Tip=BOW..CC Shank =EDGE

As for the ride, I do have it set to 3 zone, and it is sending CC and note.    But I cant seem to get Slate to separate the box vs the edge.    But there are so many options on slate I am lost as to which ones I am supposed to be using. eekkk

The Ride is sending CC ?
You can't right click and assign?..I show 2 Ride EDGE note assignments..25 (C#0)..59 (B2)

EDIT:
Added link for DM10 MIDI Note Chart
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:44:37 PM by Chaser »