Author Topic: A to E conversion with Alesis Trigger IO: Construction has begun!  (Read 13146 times)

The goal is a kit with 3 tomtom's 1 floor tom, a dual zone snare. Bassdrum with double pedal. Variable hi-hat, 2 chokeable dual zone crashes, 1 chokeable dual zone china, 2 splashes , 1 bell, 1 cowbelll and a 3 zone ride (maybe chokeable).

To start I bought 3 cheap millenium toms (10", 14", 16"). Once these are finished I'll start on the hi-hat. After that, i funds allow, I'll start on the rest of the cymbals.

On to them pictures:

pic1: 14" tom, as it came out of the box
pic2: Naked 10" tom
pic3: The removed wrap
pic4: A line in the middle
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:27:16 AM by jakkerd »

Online Hellfire

Re: A to E conversion with Alesis Trigger IO: Construction has begun!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:51:47 PM »
....2 chokeable dual zone crashes, 1 chokeable dual zone china, 2 splashes , 1 bell, 1 cowbelll and a 3 zone ride (maybe chokeable).
You might want to look over the manual for the Trigger I/O. Doing dual zone choke-able cymbals can be done, but (this is a big but) you will have to use two inputs on the Trigger I/O for each dual zone with choke cymbal.

If you already knew this, just ignore me. ;D

Alesis equipment is not like Roland. A lot of people see the stuff in the DIY section on Vdrums.com (which is a Roland fan based site, hence the name Vdrums) and assume that this stuff is universal in the electronic drum world. It is not. Every company does things a little different from each other. It is important to build to the drum module or TMI (Trigger Midi Interface) that you are using.

If you only want to use one trigger input for a cymbal on the I/O, your triggering possibilities are:

• single zone (using PP setting)
• single zone with choke (using PS setting)
• dual zone (using PP setting)
• dual zone switches with no velocity (using SS setting)

Just something to keep in mind.

On to them pictures:

Pictures don't seem to be working for me. :'(

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »
You might want to look over the manual for the Trigger I/O. Doing dual zone choke-able cymbals can be done, but (this is a big but) you will have to use two inputs on the Trigger I/O for each dual zone with choke cymbal.

If you already knew this, just ignore me. ;D

Alesis equipment is not like Roland. A lot of people see the stuff in the DIY section on Vdrums.com (which is a Roland fan based site, hence the name Vdrums) and assume that this stuff is universal in the electronic drum world. It is not. Every company does things a little different from each other. It is important to build to the drum module or TMI (Trigger Midi Interface) that you are using.

If you only want to use one trigger input for a cymbal on the I/O, your triggering possibilities are:

• single zone (using PP setting)
• single zone with choke (using PS setting)
• dual zone (using PP setting)
• dual zone switches with no velocity (using SS setting)

Just something to keep in mind.

I realise this. What i've written in the beginning is the ideal setup. Most likely it will get simplified once i start building them.

Pictures don't seem to be working for me. :'(

Weird, can you get in here:
http://www.facefirst.be/jkrd/edrums/

More of them pictures:

pic1: After some of the sawing
pic2-3: Testfitting

Luck favored me, the pre drilled holes on the 90degree thingie, fits perfectly with the lugs.

That's it for today, more soon.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:28:12 AM by jakkerd »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »
I now see the pictures. Looks good so far. I look forward to seeing more.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
pic1: Did a little work today
pic2: A whole lotta measuring lines

While making this i noticed that the spacing between the lugs isn't exactly even. So i'll have to measure everything again for the other half :/.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:29:14 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:41:26 AM »
pic1: Second one done
pic2: Naked 14" tom
pic3: Naked 14" tom cut in twain
pic4: Naked 14" tom cut in twain with the lugs fitted
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:30:20 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
pic1: Some more test fitting with the 10" toms.

pic2: I smoked the drill of my father and then drained the 2 batteries of mine. All in about 10 minutes. So i'm recharching now, hopefully i can continue tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:31:28 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
After realizing that working with wood gives a pretty heavy tom, i changed my mind.
I'm now using the aluminium crossbar design.

pic1-2: Just testing if everthing fits
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:32:23 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
great ideas !!!! im making a kit myself and phil can you combine a dm5 with the i/o in a midi format and usb it into the pc and so to say split certian triggers this would allow the double trigger pads and chokable cymbals and the better hihat control. i havent used the i/o yet but there cheap and seem like a great addtion to my studio.
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
great ideas !!!! im making a kit myself and phil can you combine a dm5 with the i/o in a midi format and usb it into the pc and so to say split certian triggers this would allow the double trigger pads and chokable cymbals and the better hihat control. i havent used the i/o yet but there cheap and seem like a great addtion to my studio.
You can run both the DM5 and a Trigger I/O to your computer. The Trigger I/O has a USB port, but it doesn't have a midi input. So, you will need a MIDI to USB cable for the DM5. You might be able to plug the Trigger I/O into the MIDI input of the DM5, but the MIDI out on the DM5 would have to act as a MIDI thru. I would have to look at the DM5 manual to see if you can set that on a DM5. Worst case, you just run the Trigger and the DM5 separately to the computer.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
thanx phil i run the dm5 4 out ( 2 main , 2 aux ) into a multimix 16 firewire so i split my channels up bass drum, snare, toms, cymbs but i want to possibly add the i/o for the velocity control of the hihat and double for the snare and maybe some extra sound for effect ( hand percuss, etc....) what i want to attempt  is to use the i/o as a link from the pc-> i/o -> dm5 to control the midi changes if i want to make a few more kits and groups so i can change them in realtime as im recording sort of a seq persay
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
I'm having problems with my server provider. It's going offline on a regular basis. If the pics are gone, check back a bit later.
I'm currently looking for a solution.

Sorry about that.

Edit: Upped all the pics to this server, as per Hellfire's suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:33:27 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
First crossbar finished. I pretty much copied the more involved trigger by beatnik. And i just got a message that my trigger i/o has arrived at the shop. The same with all the parts for the brain.
A test with normal heads will hopefully follow soon.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
Tom mounts are on. Made a little bracket for the female jacks, just need to do the wiring now and i can test'm.
Yay.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
Smallest tom is tested in bfd lite and it works! Jay.
Still looking for a solution to set it all up, can't find a cheap solution in the local hardware stores.
Maybe i'll find a cheap rack on ebay and use that as a base.

Anyway, it's working, so all's good for now.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
Smallest tom is tested in bfd lite and it works! Jay.
Still looking for a solution to set it all up, can't find a cheap solution in the local hardware stores.
Maybe i'll find a cheap rack on ebay and use that as a base.

Anyway, it's working, so all's good for now.
Looks good. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
Looks great, keep up the good work!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »
Tried my first diy mesh-head today. No clue how strong it will be, but it tensions up nicely.
I also found someone selling an old dixon rack.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:37:55 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 04:46:07 AM »
Went to pick up the old dixon rack. It looked terrible and was setup pretty poorly. But it came with a bunch of clamps and was rustfree.
So i took it home, cleaned it up and started cutting.
I just need to find 2 T-clamps so that the outside legs are a bit further apart. That just finish the front of the rack.

I also found a 12" tft screen and a touchpad with 2 buttons. I will put these in the top of a costum pc case. Making a small all-in-one drum brain.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:54:40 AM by jakkerd »

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
12" with a native 800x600 resolution. Should make a pretty capable screen.
I hope it arrives soon :D:

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
Started on the case today, took the pictures with the components in place. They're still just lying loose tho :).

Offline Guinness

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »
I've been sorta following this tread.  Question:  Why build a computer case?  and not just buy one?   

Minimize vibrations or something?

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
Wood will dampen the vibrations a bit more than an iron case. But the reason i'm building one is because i can integrate the screen in the top. This way i can keep it small enough to integrate it in the rack without the need for external monitor/mouse/keyboard.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Screen is LCD?   If CRT, you might have some magnetic and/or electrical interference if too close to the mobo.  further, I imagine heat may be an issue...  although, it appears you have the case very well ventilated.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
It's a tft screen, a crt would too large and heavy. And the interference would indeed be a problem.
The 2 120mm fans in the back will be running at 5volts. Should be sufficient to keep everything cool. The opening in the front will keep the airflow consistent over the mobo, psu and hd.
And to keep the dust out i'll put a filter behind the front grill.