Author Topic: Ddrum is back? DD1 edrum kit...  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Hellfire

Ddrum is back? DD1 edrum kit...
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
It looks as if Ddrum is getting back into the electronic drums biz. They are starting small with their new DD1 entry level edrum kit. Hopefully, this is just a stepping stone to a larger offering by Ddrum.

Ddrum DD1 Electronic Drum Kit, NEW!

Offline Pier

Re: Ddrum is back? DD1 edrum kit...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
Aaaghhh !  :o
Looks terrible, to me! C'mon -- this is just the ol' Medeli DD505 reworked (maybe with a horizontal bar more on the rack and a trio of different cymbal holders. Oh, and painted red on some zones, btw...).
That sad...  :(

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »
Aaaghhh !  :o
Looks terrible, to me! C'mon -- this is just the ol' Medeli DD505 reworked (maybe with a horizontal bar more on the rack and a trio of different cymbal holders. Oh, and painted red on some zones, btw...).
That sad...  :(
Well, I can tell you that the red color is part of the Ddrum branding. Their drums back in the 90's had that same overly red color to it. I'm not saying this is a great kit. I'm just putting the news of it out there. ;)

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
Well... that red motif was Clavia's originally (and it's still the signature of Clavia's Nord keyboards).

Clavia started the ddrum brand in the early 80's. They differed from the rest of the industry by using real drum heads on their trigger pads--before ddrum, available pads were all very hard and artificial feeling plastic and rubber. Ddrum was a true innovator in the electronic percussion arena.

Clavia started focusing their energy on the Nord line in the 90's and eventually sold the ddrum brand in 2005. The 'new' ddrum retained the acoustic trigger line, but never restarted the electronic drum line.

The original ddrum modules still have a very loyal following; when you consider the age of the products, this following is testiment to just how good ddrum was.

The old ddrum line was focused on high end, professional products so it is a little odd to see them go the entry level route. But ddrum is no longer the electronics company Clavia was/is so, much like Pearl, it's not so strange that they would chose the rebrand path. Would have been nice to see them match a rebranded DM10 with their own shells and triggers to maintain some of the name's built up loyality.

P.S.: Should make a comment about Swedish manufacturers and crazy colour choices (see 2Box) but it's late and I'm too tired to be witty..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:46:18 AM by perfesser »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
Interesting.... especially the history.

I'm not crazy about the red.  But it looks cool, if I was still in high school (80's).