Author Topic: TriggerIO Configuration Tool  (Read 30814 times)

TriggerIO Configuration Tool
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
Hi all,

Some time ago I decided to build a very simple application to configure the Alesis TriggerIO.
If anyone is interested, I have made it freely available.

https://sites.google.com/site/triggerioconfig

Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:56:17 AM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

Re: TriggerIO Configuration Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
Hi all,

Some time ago I decided to build a very simple application to configure the Alesis TriggerIO.
If anyone is interested, I have made it freely available.

Cheers,
Dan

Welcome aboard the forum Dan.
Thanks for posting this here at DMdrummer.com. This application will be able to help many edrummers who use the Alesis Trigger I/O. If the members here feel it is necessary, I will sticky this topic. Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Hmmmmm.... so could this be modified to work with the DM10?   ;)
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
I'm not a trigger IO owner but congratulations for the time and effort put into this.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
I'll keep this in my bag of tricks for when I upgrade my DM10.. Thanks!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
Thanks to all for the kind words.

In response to vtdrummer, concerning this configuration tool being modified for the DM10;

Having now taken a quick look at some of the reference documents for the other Alesis modules, I can see that they are similarly using the midi sysex messaging for configuration.

It would be possible to modify the application for each different Alesis module. The biggest task would be to identify the mapping of each particular module parameter to a sysex message. New screens would need to be created for the additional functionality that each module has over the TriggerIO.

How many people would be interested in such an application for the DM4/5/6/19/ etc.?
Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
Count me in  ;D

And something else : In the DM10 module, for example, alongside the "App" and "Triggers" .syx files there's also the "sound rom" file, which I assume contains actual audio data for the samples, right?
If this is valid, do you think these samples can be extracted? Are they encoded in some way or are they just raw audio?

Offline Pier

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
Hello Dan,

first, thanks a million for your Trigger IO software. Even if I still don't own one, I'm sure it's a terrific application. You da man!  ;)
Second: I'd be VERY interested in a software for the DM10 parameters! Actually, I think this would be the dream for many of us; in another thread we expressed the need for such a thing. So, let us know your progresses

Thanks again

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
I'd be interested in DM10 software.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
+1

Offline vaikl

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
Dan, wonderful idea to give us your app - and wonderful app too!

I was hoping that Sound Quest would incorporate such mappings into their MidiQuest software, but they haven't answered my requests (maybe there weren't enough requests at all for the DM10).

If you can spend your time on a DM10 mapping/modification, this would be awesome!

@ immortalx
The SoundRom of the DM's is a special area in the module and Alesis might have a great interest in not allowing others to manipulate their sounds in other ways than with the on-board tweaking options of a module.

They *are* encoded and programmed with internal filter and layer modulations, all included in the sound data. I had assumed some time ago that they are using a special kind of SoundFont format with PCM sounds.

And also keep in mind that the BlueJay soundset comes with a special unlock token that is generated by Inmusic (the shop supporter for the soundsets), taking the serial number of the module and some code which we don't know.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
vaikl, thanks a lot for the info. I just thought it would be great if we could replace some of the build-in sounds with our own.  :D

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 04:39:42 AM »
hey yeah this is cool. looks like a quick way to set up the 20 presets. if i did it manually on the trigger I/O itself it would take forever. which makes it hard to get past setting up number one preset.

so can i edit all settings on the screen of cpu then upload them to the trigger I/O ?

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
wow, shame that Alesis is not making tools like that...

+1 for DM10

Tool Update
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi all,

This is just a quick post to say that I have uploaded a new version of the tool to the website.

Changes include:
New Xml based save file format.
Ability to give real names to the trigger inputs via the Trigger Input tab page.

Best Regards,
Dan

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »
Thanks for making this app. It'll help immensely with my TriggerIO..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline swan

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
i have tried to download and open this but i wont work..

i have a mac and don't have any of the Microsoft programs cause it was screwing up my pc ..

:(

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
Hi Swan,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have tested it on my mac and it is working ok. The download contains three executable files, each for Windows, Mac and Linux. Make sure that you choose the correct file for your operating system (more details are available on the download page https://sites.google.com/site/triggerioconfig/download).

If you could give me some more details, such as which version of MacOS you are using and the steps you are taking to run the program? Please let me know if you are still having problems.

Best Regards,
Dan

Offline sm

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »
Hi Dan,

I see the tool is published under GNU GPL. Is the source code available?

Sm

Offline Trondster

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:10 AM »
It has to be - as it is published under the GPL. It would also mean that the resut of us could contribute to the program. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Tool update
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:44 AM »
Hi all,

This is just a quick post to say that I have uploaded a new version of the tool to the website.
This version fixes a couple of issues that had been introduced in the previous version.

Changes include:
Fixed - savefile was saving as xml type even if file was originally sysex type.
Fixed - last revision introduced a problem where the wrong kit number was being updated.

Re: source code
Yes, the source code is available for everyone, you can follow the link from the dowload web page.

Best Regards,
Dan

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
Okay...apologies for raising the proverbial dead, but I'm so very new at this, have a question and think this may be the right track.

I'm recording a track and would like the sounds from the DM10's module to be the sounds used on the final mix.  Am I correct in thinking this tool could be used to import trigger settings from the DM10 and effectively overwrite the native MS MIDI sounds with ones from the module?  If not, is there an easy way to do this?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »
I'm recording a track and would like the sounds from the DM10's module to be the sounds used on the final mix.  Am I correct in thinking this tool could be used to import trigger settings from the DM10 and effectively overwrite the native MS MIDI sounds with ones from the module?  If not, is there an easy way to do this?
No, you can't. If you want the Dm10 sounds, then you must record the Main Out or the Aux Out. You can't export or send any sounds via MIDI - only send trigger notes.

If you want the Dm10 module to generate the sounds - use an audio cable from the module to the recording gear. If you want the computer to generate the sounds, use a MIDI (or USB) cable from the Dm10 to the computer.

This thread is regarding a tool to configure the Trigger I/O, which only can send MIDI, and does not have any sounds at all.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the clarification, Trondster, and thanks to everyone here for an extremely helpful/knowledgeable board.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
What a great tool to have!  Thanks Dan for putting the time and effort into this.  I have a Trigger I|O on the way to me this week, so I look forward to using your tool to set up my kit.  8)

Chucker