Author Topic: Trigger IO and edrum monitor.  (Read 10073 times)

Offline audiopat

Trigger IO and edrum monitor.
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:56:45 AM »
I wanted to start this thread so that users of the IO can share their tips, tricks and discoveries with the excellent edrum monitor software. I am aware that there is the eTrigger software, but edrum monitor is free. Since the forum is also down, I'd like this to be a discussion and support for the software!

Offline audiopat

Re: Trigger IO and edrum monitor.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
I use edrum monitor with BFD 1.5. I find I can fine tune a few things like retrigger and my DIY HH controller a bit better with the software - the visual feedback helps me a lot. 
One thing I would like to get right is the positional sensing. BFD 1.5 doesn't support PS, but I have superior 2 coming soon! As far as I can see, edrum monitor can do some kind of mojo between 2 or more piezo's and output the potential difference as a Midi CC value. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is how Roland modules output PS values? When I get superior 2 I'll do some testing - I've just modified my snare to a spider-basket type design, so it should work - theoretically. I'll keep everyone posted with updates.

Offline audiopat

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
Ok... After a quick google i found that Roland modules output PS values on Midi CC  #16.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
Very interesting.  I'm on the verge of Vsti's. Got my Emu 0404 working tonight.  It had corroded terminals.  Quickly hooked up my vintage PM16 trigger to midi to Addictive Drums, a few old Tama pads and got results right away.  Got to tweek the lattency but its not too bad right now.  I will try the Edrum monitor to  see whats going on.  Thanks for the link, now back to druming.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
Whats good latency numbers for Edrum monitor?  I'm getting .5 ms for the Emu card output or 1.3 ms for the USB 2 Alesis Multimix out, which I'm monitoring the sound from.  Might try the Emu out for sound.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
It sounds like you are making some head way there audiopat. The only thing I can add to the mix is how the Roland method of obtaining the MIDI CC#16 is different than the way Edrum Monitor gets it. This is my current understanding of how this works. If I'm not quite right please chime in and add to the mix.

The end resolute is the same MIDI CC#16, but Edrum Monitor determines the CC#16 by triangulating the different velocities of two piezos (head/rim) to give an approximation of the location of the stick strike.

Roland, on the other hand, only needs one piezo to determine a stick strike location. Roland does this by analyzing the wave form from the strike. Needless to say, one of the reasons that Roland only seem to have PS is because of there patented technology. That is why I like the idea of how Edrum Monitor does PS. It will not interfere with the Roland patents.

**ATTENTION** Trigger I/O, one input, dual zone pad, built in "x talk"? **ATTENTION**
Now, with that said, it still might be a little tricky to do this with an Alesis Trigger I/O. That is because the Trigger I/O has some kind of built in cross talk between two trigger zones on the same physical input. The way to get around this is to use two trigger zones over two physical inputs. I talked about this issue here:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=21.0

Offline audiopat

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »
I was just testing out my snare, trying to generate Midi CC with edrum monitor. I had some success with BFD 1.5 using cc 56 to change tuning of the snare, to simulate a position change:-) 
Phil, what you have noticed about the crosstalk between the 2 zones of a single input seems to be a big issue with edrum monitor generating the cc values. It's sporadic and jumpy because of the two zones not firing at the same time... I'm going to solder up a splitter tomorrow so I can try the snare on seperate inputs. Bit of a ball-ache, but I think I'm making some progress...
How about a sysex update with default crosstalk values removed, eh Alesis?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
Phil, what you have noticed about the crosstalk between the 2 zones of a single input seems to be a big issue with edrum monitor generating the cc values. It's sporadic and jumpy because of the two zones not firing at the same time...

I figured it would be. That is why I made a point to bring attention to it. ;)

How about a sysex update with default crosstalk values removed, eh Alesis?

I think I would like to see a system update for this as well. Great info audiopat. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
I wanted to start this thread so that users of the IO can share their tips, tricks and discoveries with the excellent edrum monitor software. I am aware that there is the eTrigger software, but edrum monitor is free. Since the forum is also down, I'd like this to be a discussion and support for the software!

As I have posted inthe DIY forum, I have DIY'ed an acoustic kit using 35mm cone triggers, because I had originally intended to buy a Roland TD module. However, I changed my mind and decided upon a Trigger IO and VST drum software. Unfortunately Trigger IOs are currently out of stock everywhere in the UK and in the time I have been waiting, one question has been bugging me....

Are the 35mm cone triggers really too 'hot' for the Trigger IO?

I would be interested to hear if, in addition to taking the Gain/Sensitivity down to 0 in the Trigger IO, will I be able to use Edrum Monitor to scale back the signal if my edrums are too 'hot' for the Trigger IO? .

A

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »

As I have posted inthe DIY forum, I have DIY'ed an acoustic kit using 35mm cone triggers, because I had originally intended to buy a Roland TD module. However, I changed my mind and decided upon a Trigger IO and VST drum software. Unfortunately Trigger IOs are currently out of stock everywhere in the UK and in the time I have been waiting, one question has been bugging me....

Are the 35mm cone triggers really too 'hot' for the Trigger IO?

I would be interested to hear if, in addition to taking the Gain/Sensitivity down to 0 in the Trigger IO, will I be able to use Edrum Monitor to scale back the signal if my edrums are too 'hot' for the Trigger IO? .

A
The short answer is yes, the 35mm piezo with cone set-up will be too hot. The easiest fix is to add a resistor. I've use the variable type and wired them as shown:

I hope this helps.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
Thanks Hellfire - that is a great help.

A