Author Topic: Please help (triggering DM Pro with PD8s)  (Read 3687 times)

Please help (triggering DM Pro with PD8s)
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
Hey guys, I've had a DMPro module for a while now, eventually I chose to give up on the triggering in favor of running MIDI out on my DM5.  However, I've decided that it would be worth it to just get things working on the Pro so that I would only need one module.

Now, the main problem I've been having with my pads, I have a set of Roland PD8's, and a PD-7.  I have a nearly impossible time getting my rims to trigger (yes I am using TRS cables and not TS), if I do get the rim to trigger at all, then it usually triggers the head as well.

The biggest issue with this is my snare.  Has anyone else had this problem with the Roland PD-8 pads and the DM Pro module?  If so, was there a solution found or can anyone just give me tips on resolving this (preferably with minimal snare sensitivity lost.)

EDIT: It would also be great if someone could explain in layman's terms what the aux pedal does/is used for, and how to use it.  The manual sent me on a massive loop of confusion

Thanks in advance for any assistance
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:31:18 AM by MyronJ906 »

Online Hellfire

Re: Please help (triggering DM Pro with PD8s)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »
Hey guys, I've had a DMPro module for a while now, eventually I chose to give up on the triggering in favor of running MIDI out on my DM5.  However, I've decided that it would be worth it to just get things working on the Pro so that I would only need one module.

Now, the main problem I've been having with my pads, I have a set of Roland PD8's, and a PD-7.  I have a nearly impossible time getting my rims to trigger (yes I am using TRS cables and not TS), if I do get the rim to trigger at all, then it usually triggers the head as well.

The biggest issue with this is my snare.  Has anyone else had this problem with the Roland PD-8 pads and the DM Pro module?  If so, was there a solution found or can anyone just give me tips on resolving this (preferably with minimal snare sensitivity lost.)

EDIT: It would also be great if someone could explain in layman's terms what the aux pedal does/is used for, and how to use it.  The manual sent me on a massive loop of confusion

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Hi MyronJ906,
I'm pretty sure that is because the PD-8/PD-7 rims are switches and the DMPro doesn't recognize switches. I use to own a DMPro and I'm pretty sure the zones need to be Piezo/Piezo. I would suggest (if you really want to make your PD pads work) taking apart your pads and add a piezo in place of the rim switch. This is fairly simple to do if you know how to solder. I remember seeing a person over at Vdrum.com do this. I believe her name was SuperPuss but, I can find the post where she did this. It shouldn't be that hard however. Just adhere a piezo to the inside base of the PD-8/7 and wire it to the jack where the switch is wired. Be sure to disconnect the switch.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »
Thanks for the comment, I believe in the manual, there's something about an AUX pedal allowing the switches to work.  Though I'm not positive.  Haha, the Pro is (as far as I can tell) pretty crazy in regards to triggers. You have helped me tremendously though, thanks.

Maybe my method of choice will end up being triggering my PRO through a Trigger I|O.  I do believe it lets you choose between PP and PS (though I would have to check the manual online first)

It is nice to know that it should be an easy fix though, I do plan on taking a trip into the world of soldering, ETC. and may make this one of my personal projects to save the need for another module.  I guess I would rather have extra total inputs than have rim inputs if I could make something else trigger the sound

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
Maybe my method of choice will end up being triggering my PRO through a Trigger I|O.  I do believe it lets you choose between PP and PS (though I would have to check the manual online first)
It does but, switch zones on the I/O have no velocity. The sound will only trigger at one volume level and never change. Just something to keep in mind.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
Once again, thanks for all the help.  I opted to ditch the dual zones in favor of having more mono inputs.  I got my sensitivity and everything working just as I want it for everything, so I'm happy.

I just have one more question.

Would anyone happen to know where I could get a PCMCIA compatible with the DM Pro these days?  and how I would connect it to my PC? I'd be interested in the largest size available, and some price quotes would be great.  Thanks :)